General Thoughts - ESL Paper 1 (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

What are your overall thoughts on this paper? Easy? Hard? Neither? Discuss

aznteenager

HSC
i was so nervous...
i dono how i went...
my friend guess the section 2 question right!!!
i dono how i went...
i rkn i didnt keep the time in my mind...
i just kept on writing and i ran out before writing a conclusion.
lol so many I
but i wana hear what you guys thought of it.>.<

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
i couldnt finish my essay. i didnt have enough time to write conclusion and other relatived point.

honbosek

HSC
found the last question of section 1 not easy
others all straight foward

the journey essay wasnt difficult
but still had to write alot to sufficiently answer the question though

overall i am happy

Last edited:

LostInYou

HSC
hmm.. i think the time of essay is alright because the questions says you may refer to your own choice of text, so you don't have to wirte another text if you don't have enough time. But i think section 1 is unusual, there are four unseen texts, they are bit hard i think..... I'm not sure about some of the questions...

aznteenager

HSC
honbosek said:
found the last question of section pretty challenging
quite diffcult to relate to the title 'memories blah blah'

the journey essay wasnt as difficult as i anticipated
but still had to write alot to sufficiently answer the question

overally i am happy
i reckon it was abit big?8 marks and you can write about like anything cuz its creative writing and you just need to refer to at least 2 of the text...
buy hey thats just my thoughts...
the essay i couldnt finish cuz i REALLY REALLY wanted to write about my last text of my own choice and voila i end up not finish it>.<

tracyquang

HSC
I think section 1 was a bit long. Normally I see 3 texts in past papers, this year they added that ticket image thing. That's alright.
But we didnt get much visual stuff to analyse mostly plain languages.
What did u guys choose for the METAPHOR OR SIMILE in Text 4?
I chose the road =.= coz i couldnt think of anything else.
For the creative writing part, i couldnt refer to the title "memories comes from every stop" (?) ( cant remember exactly) . I rambled on random things about journey relating to text 1 and 2 and that's it.

jakree_golf

HSC
I thinnnk i somehow misread the question for that 8 mark thingo. my friend told me we were expected to answer the question in a diary entry form? i dont know, full made crap up for that one and ya. this year was stupid though how there were like 4 unseen texts. didnt get the last texts at all!!! what is it about?

the second part, however, was quite good cuz it didnt really specify u to write about particular aspects of journeys, did it? and i guess the presence of the word "experience" would allow us to write about anything we found relatable to journey? please say yes LOL

bikapika

HSC
yes im really worried about the 8 mark part
what did it mean by "creative writting" and "describe" in reference to texts!!?? lol? use descriptive language to make up stories? i totally messed it up by writtin like an journey essay full of analysing and techniques lol
ok so optimistically speaking 4 marks gone for me

wenruoshi

HSC
Section II was pretty good because I prepared something on it…
But section I was a bit unusual….well not a bit…..Why were there 4 texts???? There were usually 3 texts only!! And what the hell was it with the creative writing….I thought it’s for standard and advanced…..I just made up stuff like how I went on a trip blah blah blah..tried to make it sound like it’s related to the unseen texts…I think I did really bad for the first section…………………….I misread the question on the metaphor OR simile and I didn't explain the freaking smilie..................................>"<!!!!
Anyways how much did you guys write for the essay?? I wrote around 10 pages but ending was a bit not making sense…..

tracyquang

HSC
jakree_golf said:
I thinnnk i somehow misread the question for that 8 mark thingo. my friend told me we were expected to answer the question in a diary entry form? i dont know, full made crap up for that one and ya. this year was stupid though how there were like 4 unseen texts. didnt get the last texts at all!!! what is it about?

the second part, however, was quite good cuz it didnt really specify u to write about particular aspects of journeys, did it? and i guess the presence of the word "experience" would allow us to write about anything we found relatable to journey? please say yes LOL
OMG OMG R U SURE? DIARY ENTRY?????????????????
i didnt write a diary entry though T.T
i'm not sure about the creative writing part too, so i made up stuff like a physical journey presented in text 1 illustrates how physical obstacles and challenges are overcome... and text 2 is about how journey can be simple and be seen everywhere ALL RANDOM things that i actually repeats those journeys word all the time.
@wenroushi: wow 10 pages for the essay how did u manage the time? i used 8 pages only. btw how many extra materials did u use?

bikapika

HSC
on my way back home i heard many ppl other schools who wrote 4~5 pages for the journey essay- -

r we writting too much or r they underperforming?

Serathis

HSC
Can't remember how many pages I used though but I used two writting booklets. My handwritting is kind of big >.<

aznteenager

HSC
bikapika said:
on my way back home i heard many ppl other schools who wrote 4~5 pages for the journey essay- -

r we writting too much or r they underperforming?
how much pages did you write....please tell me under 8?
cuz i was too busy with section one and 8 marks question that i spent sooo much time on section 1...
by the time i finish i was down by 5 minutes(for my conclusion in which i did not finish>.<)

jakree_golf

HSC
YAY i wrote 12 pages for the journey essay ^^ although most of the content was crap and everything was spaced out enormously.....

anyone tell me what text four was all about? how many pages did u write for the 8mark question thing?

baloesharott

HSC
Wow how did you people manage to write that much (8 - 12 pages). Mine was only like 4 or 5 pages but I did manage to write about five texts. My writing is rather small though and i hope the examiners can read it. Yeah the 8 marks question did require some thinking, it was actually rather confusing (asking to link a real or imaginative journey to at least two of the texts) - didn't quite get what it meant. I did manage to finish the paper however although I'm not quite sure about the 8 marks stuff. :confused:

tracyquang

HSC
what did u guys choose for the METAPHOR or Simile?
i used 2 booklets for the essay and felt like i was running out of time already so @those who wrote 12 pages: WOW o.0

bikapika

HSC
tracyquang said:
what did u guys choose for the METAPHOR or Simile?
i used 2 booklets for the essay and felt like i was running out of time already so @those who wrote 12 pages: WOW o.0
well metaphor ot simile i wrote "the road was a metaphor for an intellectual journey of researching aboriginal history blah blah blah", hope to get full mark

lol my teacher told me 6+pages should be appropriate for b6 - - hope he was lying.

tracyquang

HSC
yeah i chose " the road" as a metaphor toooooooooooo.
lolz it's good to know that at least there are one person agrees :D
i said it is a symbol for life or a choice bla bla. hoping that the metaphor is right.
and btw why are u hoping ur teacher is lying bikapika? i wrote 6 or 7 something so i hope ur teacher is right. ^^ but they rely on the quality how we relate the texts to the question ay?

whitemelon

HSC
for the simile/metaphor part, i mentioned the bit of "like jewels on a necklace" thing. simile that shows that is the important part of the journey bla bla bla. i think i made a mistake-_-;;

and also in 8 mark question, i didnt have anything about "creative" but wrote an short essay of the journey with the ideas in the contexts and made up one or two sentences of examples of those ideas;; i totally misunderstood it.

i somehow wrote 10 pages in section 2. but i had to leave one language technique of a prescribed text and one from the stimulus booklet part. i also didnt exactly finish my conclusion but when they said pens down, they were too busy to sign those forms and supervise ohter kids doing advanced and standards so i quickly wrote down few words, there were even ppl who wrote 3~4 sentences.. hope to get at least like 15~17 from this section. i have a feeling that the larger number than our expectation, of different ppl in different skool, they wrote 4~6 pages in this section and struggled with section 2 coz they spent too much on 8 marks question and other parts although section 2 wasnt that difficult.

i will forget about this part and continue studying on paper 2 stuffs. good luck guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)