General Thoughts - ESL Paper 1 (2 Viewers)

Allenw

HSC
it was alright, not as hard as i throught it would be

bikapika

HSC
well my teacher mentioned that "insight" is THE marking criteria for all english questions. so its a matter of how much "insight"you've shown to the examiners instead of the quantity of your essay.
--------------------------------------------------
the following is my theory, base on the assumptions:
1.) you know what you are gona write and you can write 20 pages if you have enough time
2.) you DONT have enough time
--------------------------------------------------
as they adopt "positive marking" approach, i.e. rewarding marks instead of deducting marks, then the more quantity you put down, the more chance you can get marks, as long as you can manage to make sure that what ever u've put down is at least LIKELY to get marks

As a result, u should be lucky enough to "accumulate" a b6

HOWEVER, as there is an "impression marking" element i.e. overall structure and fluency of the essay, as well as the way you present your arguement, then there are risks involved in emphasizing quantity:
1.) as you write too much, you start to lose subtlety because you may start to repeat phrases .ect
2.) your essay is no longer "concise"
3.) illegible handwritting <-my problem, which means if they cant read it, they are not gona reward u marks

consequently, when they have to decide on "what should i give this guy, 17?18?19?" then they will go for "17" instead of "19" due to "impression marking" and they have the legitiment reasons to do so

tracyquang

HSC
whitemelon: for the simile/metaphor part, i mentioned the bit of "like jewels on a necklace" thing. simile that shows that is the important part of the journey bla bla bla. i think i made a mistake-_-;;

and also in 8 mark question, i didnt have anything about "creative" but wrote an short essay of the journey with the ideas in the contexts and made up one or two sentences of examples of those ideas;; i totally misunderstood it.

yep, that's exactly what i did for both parts u mentioned. tomorrow is another paper. good luck everybody. anyone wants to discuss Cinema Paradiso?

pires_w

HSC
omg... i couldnt manage to finsih it...
questions were not hard...

bit worry abt paper 2 now.................

pires_w

HSC
><"...
and we re gonna write 2 compositionS...

my teacher always says... ESL is easy, but the standard it really high ...

btw, im doin Cinema Paradiso as well [img=http://community.boredofstudies.org/images/icons/icon10.gif]

what are we supposed to prepare for it?

pires_w

HSC
bikapika said:
HOWEVER, as there is an "impression marking" element i.e. overall structure and fluency of the essay, as well as the way you present your arguement, then there are risks involved in emphasizing quantity:

3.) illegible handwritting <-my problem, which means if they cant read it, they are not gona reward u marks

consequently, when they have to decide on "what should i give this guy, 17?18?19?" then they will go for "17" instead of "19" due to "impression marking" and they have the legitiment reasons to do so

haha, i have the same issue as urs XD

SukMyMilky

HSC
I thought it was pretty easy.

The last question on section 1 was pretty interesting. Got me thinking what it meant by memories are not just the destination but it's inbetween blah blah, so I wrote a story about seagulls. I just hope I answered the question write.

I would have done a lot better, maybe if I had 10 more minutes I would have gained maybe just 3 more marks. I only wrote 8 pages all together which kinda sucks. Except my writing is really small and I know a friend who wrote at least 24 pages all together. I'm aimin to get about 90 plus because I studied so hard for it :)

aznteenager

HSC
SukMyMilky said:
I thought it was pretty easy.

The last question on section 1 was pretty interesting. Got me thinking what it meant by memories are not just the destination but it's inbetween blah blah, so I wrote a story about seagulls. I just hope I answered the question write.

I would have done a lot better, maybe if I had 10 more minutes I would have gained maybe just 3 more marks. I only wrote 8 pages all together which kinda sucks. Except my writing is really small and I know a friend who wrote at least 24 pages all together. I'm aimin to get about 90 plus because I studied so hard for it :)
im really interested on how you managed to link that to two of the texts or more...
and btw the best choice of creative test you could use was diary entry cuz the creativity in that is unimaginable...
but anyway.. thats what i think..
even though i didnt write a diary entry=)

tracyquang

HSC
for the creative part i was so dull
and how can ur friend write 24 pages T.T so that's like 3 booklets for esasy and 2 for section 1. wow

PiRES_w : it might be too late now and u probably wont read my post before the exam, but anyway, i reckon do a lot on cinema techniques and tell a bit of the story. argh,i dunno it takes heaps to write it all out. i have nearly 5 pages. i'm so worried that i might run out of time

tracyquang

HSC
i think our choices are all right and the mark depends mostly on how we explain it. so if u 've got a coherent explanation how that interprets journey and stuff, it'll be ok.

neda9

HSC
I loved that 8 marker. I had fun writing it. The journey's essay was good too. It wasn't that hard to relate the texts to the question bcoz the question wasn't that specific. I agree in section 1 all the texts were presenting a new type of journey (imaginative) which we hadn't talked about it that much at school.

mismatch

HSC
It scales really well if you get above 90 and top the state. I did mine last year and got 94 for ESL. I ended up having a UAI of 98.7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)