General Thoughts: Geography (1 Viewer)

jessicamay

HSC
Only two problems (I think):

1. What did people write for the social structure of a developed city?
2. Can someone explain what exactly a linkage is?
linkages is the dot point of people, good, services and ideas :)

rabbitohs123

HSC
N/A
The gradient was negative, because it was from the mountain TO the valley, not BETWEEN the mountain and valley

But i'm pretty sure the geography markers only do positive gradients, it isnt like maths

pmescotty

HSC
I do not see how it cannot be a negative gradient. Call me stubborn, but the first height is higher than the second height, so it has to be negative.
Because, geo gradients dont have a relative fixture to percieve postive or negative points unlike maths /=+ and (backslash)=neg.
Also geo points dnt fixed A and B points that give negative/postive answers.

mulimulix

HSC
Because, geo gradients dont have a relative fixture to percieve postive or negative points unlike maths /=+ and (backslash)=neg.
Also geo points dnt fixed A and B points that give negative/postive answers.
Really? Would that mean any negative gradient is wrong? I don't think I've got it right anyway.

Thanks for the explanation though.

pmescotty

HSC
Really? Would that mean any negative gradient is wrong? I don't think I've got it right anyway.

Thanks for the explanation though.
maybe if you got the value correct probs not, but if you get some bastard marker, but i doubt since twas only one mark

nabusi

HSC
i thought gradient can't be neg, isn't it only in maths ?

rabbitohs123

HSC
N/A
Did you guys do all 6 main challenges in megacities?

I only did 4 but evaluated in depth.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ashleyjane_xo

HSC
I can guarantee you all now that the gradient cannot be negative, despite whether or not you are going from a higher point to a lower point because in geography, order does not matter it's always the height of the highest point minus the height of the lower point. My teacher also told us to figure it out as run/rise as opposed to rise/run because then you get a whole number instead of a fraction (in this case i got 27.777 as the whole number) so then you just write it as 1:27.7777

bash187

HSC
the answer for the gradient question was 1: 29.6 because if u measure it exactly it will 0.135/4

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
i thought gradient can't be neg, isn't it only in maths ?
I don't see why it can't be. You can have a slope of -5 degrees etc (or conversely you could specify it is a 5 degree slope descending in a Northerly direction etc).

CJBest

HSC
if I get between 72-76 raw. What HSC raw mark/ban will i be looking at...Geography my worst subject, worst decision ever!!!

rabbitohs123

HSC
N/A
I don't see why it can't be. You can have a slope of -5 degrees etc (or conversely you could specify it is a 5 degree slope descending in a Northerly direction etc).
Dude

A gradient can be negative, but in geography i'm pretty sure they only write them as positives

I've done gradient questions in multiple choice that were negative, but there were no negative options

ashleyjane_xo

HSC
i think negative gradient is only in maths? in geography I'm pretty sure they just stick to positive because I've done soooo many geography papers and sooo many gradient questions in my life and have never come across one where the answer is a negative gradient, even in those books dedicated to geo skills with maps and stuff

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If I recall correctly, they expect you to take the absolute value of any gradient.

mulimulix

HSC
Oh well. I got it wrong anyway (pretty sure). What calculation did people use for it. I thought it was 135 metres down and just over 3km across?

Cobain

HSC
The linkages question caught me off guard, i didn't even know what the hell it meant, but i feel my bullshitting skills may have won me a few marks for it.
Other than that and the gradient/vertical exaggeration questions i was pretty much fine with the whole thing.
If i get 70+ I'll be happy.

Nuggos

HSC
Did you guys do all 6 main challenges in megacities?

I only did 4 but evaluated in depth.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
yeah same i did 4 in depth, sanitation/access to clean water, traffic congestion and infrastructure, housing challenges and lack of employment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)