General Thoughts: IPT (1 Viewer)

dbz4alan

HSC
N/A
srsly WTF??data dictionary and the GPS what other situations.. blah blah blah LOL
SOCIAL and ETHCAL ISSUES OMG i still dont even know what they r.. LOL

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh accuracy too, i had a lot of things mixed in with what I said in previous post cos some was prolly poo, lol

driaxx

HSC
ahh yes that's a good one

i wrote something stupid like a social issue which decreases speeding and job redundancy for cops..
Well that really is a social issue I guess. Mine were pretty bad. I think I wrote that them wanting to put it in a P plater and L platers car didn't give them real driving experience, like if they get their full license and use a car without it... and also like it could actually cause accidents if you swerve, trying to avoid something in the road and accelerate quickly - it will slow you down automatically and you'll get hit; the driver needs control. far fetched ideas but a bit tricky.

mattoxxxxx

HSC
N/A
It was hard in some bits, especially the collecting, analysing q's.
I stuffed up in multimedia, i only had 30 minutes left.

I always do this ipt exams, procastinate. I don't think I will get any higher that 60%. I barely got to finish the damned thing. All my friends were leaving, I was wtf how could've you guys finished, but they waited for me like an hour later.

I was the 2nd last person left in the exam, the Board of studies people were looking at me, as if they wanted me to rush to finish so they could get out of there...I did rush it I was falling asleep...

The only question I was comfortable with was, What is a transaction? in TPS Lols.

Oh well.

ashmaz

HSC
N/A
For social ethical issues for GPS i did Privacy and changing nature of work for traffic police.

For the question with the URL.
For part III did u guys say it was a script or it was pointing to a file stored on the web server??

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
lol when I got to DSS... 'define graphical information systems'
all i wrote was 'google maps'

fail

mattoxxxxx

HSC
N/A
I hated that GPS question, put this technology into another situation....

I bullshited the biggest bullshit out....I can;t remember what I wrote...

mattoxxxxx

HSC
N/A
Share your thoughts on the IPT exam.
For social ethical issues for GPS i did Privacy and changing nature of work for traffic police.

For part III did u guys say it was a script or it was pointing to a file stored on the web server??
I said it was to locate a specific page within the website.???

HSC
Yeah with the URL question wasnt sure if it meant the actual URL or the just in general

It was like some script or process being run as it had a '=' but I also said it could just be a file located on the website

joshhunt

HSC
OMG those 6 mark collecting storing retrieving and whatever the fuck else destroyed me.
At least by and large the test was pretty fucken easy. It's always been full of ambiguous shit so, nothing new there.
Ugh yes! By the end of the exam I was just sooooo over those questions!

They had just copied and pasted the same thing throughout the exam FOUR TIMES! I ANSWERED THE SAME QUESTION FOUR TIMES!

How long was peoples responses for these questions? Mine were usually like half a page, but I always felt really bad about it because it was worth six marks. The length of what I wrote just didn't feel like six marks!

Oh, and that Query By Example question in the MC totally caught me off guard! We have never talked about that in class, I have never seen it in past papers, and I had never seen it in real life. I think I got it right though.

Also, what about the question about the three components to the URL?
I said that part 3 is used , traditionally as a 'file path' to point to a particular file, but it really used as a content pointer to identify particular content on a specific website.

HSC
no that content pointer thing you're talking about is an anchor which is represented by #

joshhunt

HSC
For the music database, how many tables did everoyne have? I had 6: Song, Album, Artist, Customer, Genre, Purchase

I had Customer, Song, Artist, Transaction and Genre, but I fucked up the schema thing with all the relationships and stuff

xFusion

HSC
I hated that GPS question, put this technology into another situation....

I bullshited the biggest bullshit out....I can;t remember what I wrote...
LOL I couldnt think of shit so ended up writing about using it to calculate if you would get through a red light or not depending on your speed.. yeah, it was bad

driaxx

HSC
I had Customer, Song, Artist, Transaction and Genre, but I fucked up the schema thing with all the relationships and stuff
I put something similar to you, Customer, Song, Transaction and Genre... artist was in the song though...

I always suck at schema's

jesse5566

HSC
IPT was crap, i finished and answered everything but not really happy. The whole COASPTD 6 markers and stuff threw me... Wasn't really happy about the GIS question in DSS's.

Haha for the other use of the speed restrictor technology question i put it as keeping convicted felons in designated areas :S...
and i wrote for the question about social and ethical issues of it that it was discriminant against transport drivers :S hahaha

hmmm ashmaz...

lol i put it as the location of a file or for specific page... although it looked od with the xxxx and whatnot... god knows...

FML.

driaxx

HSC
lol a guy in my class did the wrong elective because we didn't get taught multimedia anyway. :\ he did DSS. Will he still get marked for that?

HSC
Uni Grad
Joshhunt: How long was peoples responses for these questions? Mine were usually like half a page, but I always felt really bad about it because it was worth six marks. The length of what I wrote just didn't feel like six marks!

Me:1/4 - 1/3 page LOL!!
Not enough for more than 3, better than nothing...

Last edited:

dbz4alan

HSC
N/A
LOL u can do alll th options you'll get the best mark out of the two at least thats what my teacher told me LOL driaxx

Last edited:

joshhunt

HSC
no that content pointer thing you're talking about is an anchor which is represented by #
No, I am not talking about an anchor.

I wrote (in condensed form, of course) something similar to what I posted on Super User a couple of days ago:

This is because of a bit of a misconception with what a URL actually is, probably helped by the days of static .HTML files and PHP scripts.

Traditionally, everything past the TLD is a pointer to a specific file. Say a blog post is located at example.com/blog/2009/oct/18/what-have-we-come-to. Without the use of fancy techniques, it would mean that there is a folder called blog, and in that is a 2009 folder, and in that a folder for every month, and in those folders ANOTHER folder for every day of the month. Clearly, this gets very complicated very quickly.

That is why web servers (such as Apache) and programming languages (such as PHP) invented URL rewriting. What that does is converts the said URL into something a bit more manageable, such as example.com/blog/articles.php?id=423. Here, a the articles.php script will use the provided post ID to look up the applicable post, then it will display the post, but the user would still see the URL as example.com/blog/2009/oct/18/what-have-we-come-to.

Another approach just scraps all this entirely. Everything past the TLD (in this case, /questions/56772/website-url-hiding-hiding-file) is merely a pointer to content, not necessarily a file. Some websites, such as Super User, a built using a MVC (Model-View-Controller) approach. Usually, this involves a list of URLs for a website, and maps them to the applicable functions and code in order to display that page. For example, Super User might look like this1:

Code:
'superuser.com/' > displayFrontPage()
'superuser.com/questions/' > displayQuestionsList(sorted=default)
'superuser.com/questions/<QuestionID>/<QuestionID>' > displayQuestion(question= QuestionID)
This would most commonly be placed in a file by itself. I a common layout might be:

Code:
superuser/
          controller.aspx (which contains the list of URLs and points to a view in views.aspx)
          views.aspx (which contains all the code for the superuser, such as displayFrontPage() and displayQuestion(question= QuestionID))
          models.aspx (which contains information about the table in the database.)
1Please keep in mind that I have no idea how the controller works for ASP MVC (I am more of a Django guy), so this probably isnt that accurate. It is just an example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)