General Thoughts: Latin Continuers (1 Viewer)

Numquamtededam

HSC
SimonLee13 said:
There are only 4 subjects that scale up. MX1 MX2 Latin and classical greek. Therefore it has awesome scaling.
No those are the subjects that scale up from the Board of Studies HSC mark to the UAC scaled marks - this happens because of the strength of the candidature alone. The latin continuers exam itself is extremely easy, and the marks are always very very high to start, so it probably scales down about 1 mark for HSC scaling, but maybe up 1 for UAC scaling - this doesn't seem great scaling, but because a lot of the candidature get over 90 to start with, the scaling is to be considered very handsome. Compare this, say, to general maths which would have a HSC scaled mean of about 60/100 (maybe?), but the UAC scaled mean is about 35/100

iluvGG

HSC
Because the results are always so high for latin, does that mean if you get say an 89 raw mark, it will scale down a lot because its below the mean?

same with extension?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
yeah im confused because according to sam and others, when you put in 90 for example for latin it scales down to like 70-ish for ur uai contribution?

someone explain please.

iluvGG

HSC
yes! sam confused me as well! Like when I put in 45 for extension, it says it goes down to something like 2.5. Surely this can't be right can it? Or is it because so many people get like 48-50, 45 is seen as a bad mark in comparison with the rest of the state? Ah, if anyone can shed some light on this issue, please do :)

Numquamtededam

HSC
u-borat said:
yeah im confused because according to sam and others, when you put in 90 for example for latin it scales down to like 70-ish for ur uai contribution?

someone explain please.
That sounds a bit too slack but the general idea makes sense. Here is the way in which the two scaling systems work, which should explain why stuff appears screwed.

A: The Board of Studies HSC marks are scaled by actual people - supposed 'experts' take a look at a certain percentage of the papers which represent a rough cross-section of the marks, and determine what kind of mark meets the vague specifications of a band 6, band 5, band 4 etc. This form of scaling has no impact at all on the UAI so it's not really worth examining in depth

B: The UAC scales the mark purely according to candidature. The UAI computer will look at the Latin candidature, and look at their results across the board, and hence it will formulate a mean and standard deviation to which all Latin marks have to be scaled. These are very very wild guesses, but the mean raw mark for latin continuers would be very close to 90 I imagine (I know the median (not the mean) mark at our school was about 93); and the UAI-computer determined mean might be around 81 (again a wild guess) - significantly lower but still not bad considering that General Maths is about 36.

Hence the down-scalage. But not quite as dramatic as 90 to 70 i wouldn't think...

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
Numque... person! hahahaha sorry no idea how to spell ur name.
why is it that despite it being a human controlled procedure, the scaling of macedonian always is superior to everything else? im just curious because macedonian continuers is notoriously good for its immensly good scaling but im just curious as to why it never changes. thanks, reply soon hun!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
shore has females now? :p

according to sam, when i plugged in 90 for latin cont, it comes out as 73.6 =S

so that means if i get 90 raw, it'll only end up contributing 73ish? woah. :(

iluvGG

HSC
yeah. according to sam, 90 goes down to 76.8 for continuers and 45/50 goes down to 2.5 ! this really freaks me out. so much pressure to get above 90!
it seems a bit unfair.

[edit] when i put in all my estimated marks and put latin ext as 45/50, my uai is 88.05. but when i change just the latin extension mark to 50/50 and keep the others the same, i get 95.50!! that is such a big difference!!! is that right?!

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
yeah i think its whacked up for latin extension...i mean sif a band e4 will go down to 2.5/50. :rofl:

iluvGG

HSC
I really hope so. it would be a bit outrageous if it were true. let's hope its not! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)