General Thoughts: Mathematics 2005 (1 Viewer)

hyper_crazy

HSC
Don't know what exam you guys did, but the general thoughts at my school (selective) were that it was a horrible exam. People were crying in the exam and having panic attacks... and they were 3unit students.

Well maybe your school taught you the right stuff for this exam.. i know my school didn't! i thought the questions were ridiculously abstract and unusual! I'd done past papers for the last 10 years and never seen anything like some of the questions we got...

Well.. i'm glad you found it easy! Good luck in the rest of your exams!

Shmem

I hate maths!!!

well at least if the whole state found the paper a b#tch then we will all be scaled up and it wont b too bad!

Bush Elephant

Shmem said:
well at least if the whole state found the paper a b#tch then we will all be scaled up and it wont b too bad!

god i hope its scaled up.. i'm only doin 10 units :S standard english, maths, chem, physics and bio...... i am so screwed

that was the worst exam ever..... 2000-2004 exams i found sooooooooooo easy..... but this 1.... i didnt even get time 2 finish... let alone know anything lol

MCOLT

HSC
i think you nerds need to understand that there are people that dont study 12hrs a day, if we all did that we'd all say the exam was easy. by the way if you only leave school only with a good uai you have failed

hikari

HSC
meh, it was harder than previous years but it still wasn't THAT bad. but if i wasn't a 3unit student i think i'd be crying right now x)

a lot of the students at my school thought it was hard - 3unit people included. and it's a selective. so........ HOORAY FOR SCALING! XD

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
MCOLT not everyone on this forum is a nerd, and not everyone studies like a maniac. People like me also have a life, and realise that school is not just about a UAI.
The people who get good marks usually have a good capacity to think, and there are also a lot of people who cut off their social life, and entertainment in order to go well in the false concept, "exam of life".
It will change your life, but a report recently found that most Uni dropouts were 99 uai'ers and thye dropped because they thought it was all easy after the HSC. I say only go as hard in the HSC as slightly more than u are prepared to do for uni.

franga

HSC
The 2 unit test was not that hard. i do 2 unit not three unit and did not much of it hard. there is an article in the 26th of october telegraph sayin how the test needed three unit skills for questions 8 9 and 10.

for the record question 8 only needed pythagorous's theroem, volume of a cylinder formula and the ability to differentiate. now if thats 3 unit then i shoulda been sittin a three unit test in year 9.

Q9. The question on the particcles. if youd done past papers there is at least one of these questions in everyone. even trials. so this was not hard at all. all you had to do was integrate. b) just required you to use the sine rule a few times and then use trig identities and shit to get it as 6sec(theoter)than(theoter).

ps. cant spell theoter.

Q10.a0 was simply using distance formula with alpha and beta. they made it easier for you by factorising it for you in a)ii). and then at the end just differentiate and prove its a maximum at those points.

b) was simply probability with a twist. the twist being it was on a graph. which does mean shit cause the graph goes to one and wat does probability go to??? thats right ONE.

This test was not of three unit standard. and if youd studied, and if you couldnt get the questions the bad luck if ya tried ya best then who cares. im not rubbin it in by sayin that by the way. and the bloke sayin it was a long test. i had an hour to do question 10 and ive done the exact same work load as you. i dont do three unit. so dont blame your failure of time management on the test.

peace out.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
thats a bit rude, I think. Hell, I did 3 unit, did all the past exam papers for the last 10 years, got 96 in my trials and i thought last years 2 unit was fairly challenging..... Not everybody is at your clearly lofty intellectual level. Even smart people can find exams like that tough

Hubby

HSC
The reason some people found it hard and others didn't is very simple. A lot of the questions involved applications of 2U principles at extension 1 level. Anyone who studied the core 2U course (like me) would have found even the most basic questions difficult, because of how they were applied, as a number of maths extension teachers have explained to me. It was also much harder than any past papers, which is obvious to anyone who has done one, so if you prepared based on that level (as would be reasonable) then you got screwed big time. Also, just a point of interest I go to a selective high school (obviously not for maths) and my trial was easier. I reckon thats saying something.

ruby88

newspaper

well im a really lazy 3 unit student so i haden't studied for 3 unit yet so i was screwed for 9 & 10 There was an artcle in the newspaper about questions 8-10 how they were of 3 unit standard and they shouldn't have been in there... there wasn't enought time to think in the paper usually i have at least 10 minutes at the end to go over all my answers but this time i had none.it was the hardest paper ive ever don the stress of thinking i failed didn't help either...it sucked!!!

blind_one1

Easily the hardest HSC 2 unit exam i have come across. I thought trials were meant to be harder? That exam made me so depressed for days. I'm over it now though... Remember that those who take the HSC too seriously end up apart of it somehow, like being a highschool teacher, or a marker, or one of those creepy wrinkly people who supervise the exam.
Guys, the HSC is a joke, and i hate maths.
:)

[Damo]

HSC
just be happy its over and dnt think about it until results come out.

scientistbarbie

hehe yeps sure was a supa hard 2unit exam.. but then most people did find it really hard so its not like evryone is walking around say.. wow that was great and ur the only one thinking.. omg.. i so failed!, so yea we are all in the same boat, and its over so hooray!! :) haha only 3 to go.. :( chem physics and art :)

theodora134

oh yeh, maths truly screwed me in the a$$... i did heaps of previous test papers and i found this difficult... trials were much easier...

sabgas

HSC
quilly said:
i thought that paper was not so much hard but tedious.
having to do half a page of work for one or two marks sucked!
i did 93 marks of 120, most of it was correct but compared to the 110-120 that i usually get, it was pretty disapointing.
now ive got to study for ext 1 maths on thursday!!
It was hard! Bottom line it was hard, and since you sound like a prick, i'm going to make a fool of yourself!!!!

Cogito Ergo Sum, loosely translates into "I think therefore I am", but when Descartes quoted cogito ergo sum, he wasn't implying if you think your something you are what you think. Hence your claim of being a God?! Pffttt! Descartes was refering to the causal relationship between the mind and body (mind-body dualism) and so to think, and therefore being what you think, he was proving that the mind and body was causally related - hence proving the existence of a Cartesian 'soul' (but then again he was a devout Christian, so no shit!)... so yea research your philsophy of the mind, instead of things out of its context!

And on the topic of Descartes, fuck him! Because of him, he created the Cartesian number plane ... so he made geometry a lot harder! Fucker!

OK, im over the exam!

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
i actually think this year's hsc was a lot easier than the previous years. i did every hsc paper from 1996 and i remember how tense i was when i got into the exam room... XD i kept reminding myself of how horrible i failed at the money / sequence questions >.>;;

reading time. i flick through the paper... O.O;; OMFG i was like "WTF i can do this...? o_O" there was only 1 money / sequence question and that was simple enough for me to do ^.^;;

i know i got the final part of the cone / sphere volume question wrong, because i screwed up by not factorising the negative out and so got x=0 as an answer >.<;; sad, coz i knew i could do that question -.-;;

question 10, i realised i can do if i was given more time... which i didn't have. though i'm sure i ripped 1 or 2 marks from the question...

all in all, i'm pretty sure i did fairly well in this exam ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)