General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 1 (2 Viewers)

Noxi10

HSC
Re: How did you guys go?

Felt stupid, couldnt do half of questions 3,4,5,6, but got out almost all of question 7. I dont know how that makes any sense at all.

Hey oh well tis over now.

Jmi

lucy-may

HSC

:confused:I know people...well some people are saying that paper was easy. SUrely that was one of the hardest 3 unit papers given. Anyone agree?

(And yeah- i FAILED):burn::bomb:

henry08

HSC
N/A

It was certainly harder than the 07 paper.

HSC

Scissors said:
EASYYYY. the exam was a joke.

god i love bos this year! the exam was a gift.
r u, by any chance a james ruse kid or sumthin? :p

Scissors

HSC

WTF!?! I thought the exam was tomorrow!!!?!!?!?!

dolbinau

HSC

lucy-may said:
:confused:I know people...well some people are saying that paper was easy. SUrely that was one of the hardest 3 unit papers given. Anyone agree?

(And yeah- i FAILED):burn::bomb:
I reckon 90% would have found it hard. Only the really maths-smart Asians would have thought it was easy. (And a few that don't fit the stereotype).

danz90

HSC

i hope i passed (doubt it) lol

quite a hard paper... but since the cohort will tend to do not as good this year, then I guess the raw band cut-offs will drop a bit.

Poad

HSC

procrastinater said:
overall, i'd say it was pretty friggin hard! :burn:

it wasnt really hard, just too much working esp. to write under 2 hrs!!!!
if the exam was at least 2.5 hrs, i probably wouldve finished the ones i wanted!

i definitely fuked up these questions:

3ai. l2x - 1l < or equal to lx - 3l
3cii and ciii with the car and the spectator
4ai. proving the exponential decay
4bi and bii those p & c's should be like 2 mrks each!
4cii and ciii wat the fuk was that PO and MK = ML?!
5b and 5c. could not show shm nor that isoceles triangle
6b and 6c trig question was too long and binomial theorem was the worst of all!
7a and 7b other than that the rest were a relief
3a) Just do algrbraically, make 2x - 1 =< x - 3, then again with it =< - (x-3)
3cii and iii) lol couldnt do either
4ai) That was pretty simple, hard to explain though.
4bi/ii) Cant remember
4ciii) Because those lines made right angles, you can construct a semi circle with diameter PQ, and since M is midpoint then MK = ML since they're the radii
6) yeah trig was long/hard, hopefully I didnt stuff up. binomial was hard too. lots of fudging from me.

Question 7 was just... really hard. :\

scott.syd

HSC

i thought it was alright, it was hard but do-able.
the hardest was prob the race car question, besides that i managed to do the rest.

danfloyd11

HSC

I thought it wasn't so bad. Do better than my trial anyway.
For 6ci) did anyone else get:
p+q
C
q

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A

That was a ROUTINE, PEDESTRIAN 3Unit Examination, and if u dont think so, have u done the past 10 years HSC???

The reason u think it was hard is cause of the pressure - doin tests at home is ALWAYS easier than teh actual HSC

But if u compare this years to the past 5 years, it was pretty much expected - on a 'easy to hard scale', it was a little harder than the middle, but not OVERLY difficuilt

like seriously, u expect tow alk into a 3U examination and get all the Q's easily, it was designed (and has always been designed) to test teh ability of 3U students, and in doing so, of course there needs to be AT LEAST 5 marks which only the top 5-10% of students can 'get', or else it would be pointless

in saying that, im not saying it was easy, but its just not as hard as ppl are makin it out to be

HSC

Poad said:
3a) Just do algrbraically, make 2x - 1 =< x - 3, then again with it =< - (x-3)
3cii and iii) lol couldnt do either
4ai) That was pretty simple, hard to explain though.
4bi/ii) Cant remember
4ciii) Because those lines made right angles, you can construct a semi circle with diameter PQ, and since M is midpoint then MK = ML since they're the radii
6) yeah trig was long/hard, hopefully I didnt stuff up. binomial was hard too. lots of fudging from me.

Question 7 was just... really hard. :\
thanx, i reckon u did better than me :p
i wouldve found the circle proof but i was such an idiot to delay that til the last 5 mins, i just wrote like one proof of which angle equals which and why, then suddenly said thus, triangle PKL is isoceles LOL
weird, i actually found question 7 pretty good! esp. since they asked for proofs, then i know where im heading and once i get it, i definitely know im rite unlike normal q's where they may ask to find a value. if only i could redo 7a and b :X
correct me if im wrong, but perhaps u ran out of time for q.7 rather than working it out? coz, trust me, if u look carefully, there really is simple trig to find those proofs (of course, 7c to f, i still havent worked out a and b yet)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

haha terrible ill be lucky to pass, should have studied more eh. Oh well the only thing ive learnt from the test is how to cook turkey, if you want your turkey cooked for the correct amount of time, not to my friends who turkey only took 20 minutes....

I didnt have enough time for the test, lucky the supervisor gave us extra time for some reason "i felt sorry for you"

chewnugm

HSC

danfloyd11 said:
I thought it wasn't so bad. Do better than my trial anyway.
For 6ci) did anyone else get:
p+q
C
q
Yep thats what i got.
I got the same answer for q6c ii
anyone else?

aussie-boy

HSC

this exam is a good example of how the 2/3/4 maths system is screwed

it was impossible for the 3 unit kids, and doable only for the 4 unit kids

wtf is wrong with the BOS? surely if you do a subject you should be able to expect an exam in which you have the potential to do well

it seems now that the only reason to do 3 unit is to do better than all the 2u kids in the 2u paper (same problem at a lower level)

there should really be 4 independent exams for each maths level; scaled independently as different subjects

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A

ppl complaining about circle geo LOL

What do u gusy expect??

its obvious there would be 3-5 marks on cricle geo in the exam, and the one they gave all u had to do was use some of the results

i meadn, come on guys???

do u expect them to do it for u????

they have to test ur ability in circle geo, so if u dont know the proofs, and u got it wrong/did not attempt it, then the TEST DID ITS JOB - its not there so anyone can get 100%, its there so that ppl with the ability and competency level required can do the question

i mean, if u dont know vertically opposite angles, alternat angle segment theorem, and that the exterior angle of a cyclic quad is equal to the interior opposite, Then obviously u havent achieved the outcomes of the course and should have got it wrong

seriously...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)