General Thoughts: Mathematics Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
I thought that was a really good paper. Although my thoughts may change once Carrotstick's solutions are up.

methextension2

HSC
i think by looking at other peoples answers i got full marks 70/70 for sure. exam was difficult i have to say.

Nottoday

HSC
In my school, the internal ranks are retarded. One person is ranked 1st and then another 15 people r tied 2nd. After talking to people, I think that about 10-12 out of those top 16 will full mark the paper. So how does the state ranks work then?????

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Confirmed circles are the bane of my existence FML found q13 harder than 14 hahaha hopefully I'll get 67-68/70 raw though

When we were checking the paper and saw probability as the last question, you could hear everyone's heart in the room drop lol

stealerhat

HSC
State ranks are based on your external marks. The higher you do the better. But to separate 100 people getting full marks, they look at your internal marks as a secondary ranking system, to rank the state rankers. Maybe those rank 2 people made a few silly mistakes, I dunno :p

I reckon the test was pretty easy, I'm hoping for 100%. Multiple choice and Q11 were harder than usual though.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Solutions up to 13 c. Rest following.

Pity the people who slogged through the algebra of that question instead of seeing the beauty of the geometry.

View attachment 31210
That is a good method for the more advanced students. I chose not to do it because from that, it is not as 'obvious' to students that the locus is a circle centred at the focus.

mirachael

HSC
I might have forgetten to state that OA=OP as they are radii (left out reasoning for that one bit) in the circle geo question. Will I lose a mark, considering the entire question was only out of 2?

Last edited:

Nottoday

HSC
State ranks are based on your external marks. The higher you do the better. But to separate 100 people getting full marks, they look at your internal marks as a secondary ranking system, to rank the state rankers. Maybe those rank 2 people made a few silly mistakes, I dunno :p

I reckon the test was pretty easy, I'm hoping for 100%. Multiple choice and Q11 were harder than usual though.
So what would happen if both externals and internals were equal. Who would get the state ranks?

bookwormtiff

HSC
It was so-so tbh; most of it was more straightforward than the past papers, but there were some 3-markers which I couldn't figure out. Ah well.

The 3u cohort were generally stuck on the same things; expecting 4u people to completely pwn the exam.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I might have forgetten to state that OA=OP as they are radii in the circle geo question. Will I lose a mark, considering the entire question was only out of 2?
Depends on state candidature, I'm leaning towards no. My guess is

1 mark for identifying the two relevant angles are equal.

1 mark for making the connection regarding the converse of the alternate segment theorem.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Hmm guys why are so many people saying that 3u cohorts would have found it hard? Like was there a lot of 4u-based stuff that would have been advantageous?

Because I don't do 4u but I found the paper surprisingly easy. But like when I did the 2u paper, there were a lot of times where I felt advantaged because I had 3u...

just wanted general opinions
not at all tbh
just the one question that everyone did by implicit differentiation but it wasn't hard without

emilios

HSC
Hmm guys why are so many people saying that 3u cohorts would have found it hard? Like was there a lot of 4u-based stuff that would have been advantageous?

Because I don't do 4u but I found the paper surprisingly easy. But like when I did the 2u paper, there were a lot of times where I felt advantaged because I had 3u...

just wanted general opinions
Using a 4U method called implicit differentiation for the relation rates q allowed you to get it out in all of about 15 seconds. Circle geo was a little tough, something I wouldnt be surprised of seeing seeing in the early parts of a 4U paper. Last prob q was a common type of 4U q, similar styles are in most of my textbooks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Using a 4U method called implicit differentiation for the relation rates q allowed you to get it out in all of about 15 seconds. Circle geo was a little tough, something I wouldnt be surprised of seeing seeing in the early parts of a 4U paper. Last prob q was a common type of 4U q, similar styles are in most of my textbooks
1. 3U students can deduce the 'implicit differentiation' quite easily because in this case, it can be 'accidentally' used by using the Chain Rule.

2. Last prob Q appeared in last year's 2U HSC paper iirc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)