General Thoughts: Modern History (1 Viewer)

dylanmcgirr

HSC
The way I approached it was I spent around two-three sentences summarising the problem (whether it be political, economic or social) in the weimar period, and then how hitler effectively dealt with these problems for the rest of the paragraph. So I quickly substantiated the problem which existed, then focused more on how hitler went about dealing with them.

IMO the second germany question was tougher but I guess if you focused on racial policy then fair enough.

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
How did people approach the Nazi effectiveness in dealing with the problems of Weimar? focus more on weimar problems, or Nazi success?
I endeavoured to balance the two, but wrote a little more on the Weimar content and the issues as I loved it, and also felt the need to establish how unstable Weimar was in order to contrast it with the stability the Nazis brought. Dealt with each of the areas (political and social together though as they were interlinked) and compared the Weimar conditions to the nazi response and its effects.

Evertone

HSC
I largely agree with Rick's assessment of the Germany question. I quite liked the dynamics of connecting the Weimar republic with the Nazi rule. I accentuated the flaws in the Nazi's management more than I anticipated looking back now.

My favourite section was WWI.

I didn't like the personality questions. Too boring for Speer. They should have kept with the line they began in 'people shape events more than events shape people' etc.

nyes

HSC
N/A
I endeavoured to balance the two, but wrote a little more on the Weimar content and the issues as I loved it, and also felt the need to establish how unstable Weimar was in order to contrast it with the stability the Nazis brought. Dealt with each of the areas (political and social together though as they were interlinked) and compared the Weimar conditions to the nazi response and its effects.
Yeh fair enough, I think I was probably more explicitly "Nazi" and led my paragraphs with nazi policy i.e. Gleischaltung (removing institutional opposition as in Weimar), propaganda same role, Army vs Weimar, diminished conservative elites, foreign policy vs Treaty of Versailles/problems, social cultural vs Weimar liberalism

nyes

HSC
N/A
Also found it hard to talk about Nazi economic policy vs Weimar, even though I knew that the economy improved

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh fair enough, I think I was probably more explicitly "Nazi" and led my paragraphs with nazi policy i.e. Gleischaltung (removing institutional opposition as in Weimar), propaganda same role, Army vs Weimar, diminished conservative elites, foreign policy vs Treaty of Versailles/problems, social cultural vs Weimar liberalism
Sounds good, in retrospect I wish I led mine with the Nazi line too.

& in response to your other post, economics gets a little hard, I found it a little tricky too. One of the main things I talked about was Weimar's heavy reliance on the international business cycle, foreign funds and international trade, then tried to show that the Nazis largely pursued autarky, expanding the domestic economy etc. to show that thats how they dealt with it. I did economics as a subject too so I guess I had a little edge

rohang

HSC
i got d,b,b,c,c i think for multi's. That could be wrong, i may've forgotten the corresponding letter, but here were my answers
1. What is the purpose of Source A (the king george v letter) - i chose d, the one about soldiers doing their duty
2. Who is Source A directed towards - I said B) British empire soldiers
3. Source C (Article and picture about women) What was the Queen suggesting women should do - I said make garments for the war effort, b)?
4. Using source C (The German soldier in car), describe the German attitude towards war - i said that the war would be over rapidly and with ease, c i think?
5. Account for the increase in war-related expenditure, I said preparation for ludendorff increased spending, c i think?

I checked these with a few other top students and I think they're right
Yep I did the same however I stuffed up conflict in the pacific-did not remember any dates

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
So I think I did really well in this exam but there are people with higher internal ranks than me who choked and screwed up. Will they get my exam mark if it were higher..?

crowley926

HSC
So I think I did really well in this exam but there are people with higher internal ranks than me who choked and screwed up. Will they get my exam mark if it were higher..?
Yeah sort of. Your exam marks get added up and distributed proportionately based on ranks and gaps between ranks which become your assessment mark (50%) but your exam mark remains your exam mark (the other 50%)

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
What did you think about the Indochina questions?
Nothing as out of the ordinary as Germany. Tet's influence on AWM was a combination of syllabus dot points but a relatively obvious one which most people would have thought about. The one about the reasoning behind US intervention was also a decent question but not particularly difficult or strange. I'd say in terms of difficulty/how well they'll align:

Single Syllabus Dot Point Questions < Indochina < Germany

Last edited:

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
i got d,b,b,c,c i think for multi's. That could be wrong, i may've forgotten the corresponding letter, but here were my answers
1. What is the purpose of Source A (the king george v letter) - i chose d, the one about soldiers doing their duty
3. Source C (Article and picture about women) What was the Queen suggesting women should do - I said make garments for the war effort, b)?
4. Using source C (The German soldier in car), describe the German attitude towards war - i said that the war would be over rapidly and with ease, c i think?
5. Account for the increase in war-related expenditure, I said preparation for ludendorff increased spending, c i think?

Yep I got these I'm pretty sure. Had a good giggle at the German soldiers thought they would drive into Paris one as opposed to simply walk.

oht

HSC
Uni Grad

Are you sure question 2 was British Empire soldiers? I took empire to = not just Britain, and saw the little info thing at the top said it was the King's letter to the British expeditionary force, which wikipedia says is "The term often used to refer only to the forces present in France prior to the end of the First Battle of Ypres on 22 November 1914." (the source was dated like August 12 or something I think)
So I think I put British soldiers in France?

evasharman

HSC
Still not really sure how I feel about this exam... I feel like it was a big trap!
WW1 was alright, I don't know if my source analysis was any good but it has always been my downfall, I found the sources difficult to extract info from... I think multi choice/short answers were very straightfoward, the idea of changing attitudes only in GERMANY will probably trick a few people.
Germany, I was so ready for totalitarianism haha. Decided to avoid the racial policy one as it seemed like a riddle linking it to consolidation although I originally planned for it, I quite liked the Germany one and pretty much argued that the Nazis provided decisive leadership, economic stability, and social transformation through gleichschaltung etc. and also talked about Hitler exploiting the weakness of Weimar through propoganda etc. (I felt like I covered somethiing from every dotpoint and my essay was a bit "pro-Nazi" oops!)
Personality was perfect for Ho Chi Minh I thought - because his whole life was defined by the struggle for Vietnamese independence.
Tet impact on Anti-war was a simple question, however I feel like it was hard to stretch out?? Like for the amount of content this dotpoint entails haha?
Anyways overall I'm a bit worried about WW1 but the rest should be hopefully alright. I think I will get less than I did in the trial which is a bit disappointing but I suppose overall it shouldn't be too terrible.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Are you sure question 2 was British Empire soldiers? I took empire to = not just Britain, and saw the little info thing at the top said it was the King's letter to the British expeditionary force, which wikipedia says is "The term often used to refer only to the forces present in France prior to the end of the First Battle of Ypres on 22 November 1914." (the source was dated like August 12 or something I think)
So I think I put British soldiers in France?
But they weren't going to France were they? The source said they were going to Belgium and then France

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
The source is here
http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/georgev_aug1914.htm

But yeah, you make a valid point FlyingKanga. They were going to Belgium first, and France was going to be invaded. I could very well be wrong. The answers were all a bit funky, I'd say this one will end up being a case of the ubiquitous and thoroughly annoying bostes favourite of "most right answer" wherein more than one or no answers are entirely correct, yet one prevails...

Anyone remember the other answers besides British empire troops & troops headed to France?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)