General Thoughts: Visual Arts Exam (1 Viewer)

Robert422

HSC
How did everyone handle the exam? what ae your thoughts on the exam? and how well did you all go? the test wasnt bad but high focus on postmodernism i thought. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Robert 422

Counterfeit

HSC
hahaah Robert...

Im just posting so as to not leave you hanging

Plus im procrastinating terribly for the Drama exam thats comeing up in a couple hours, so posting about stuff i don;t really care about seems to be a brilliant idea.

Yes, there was a high focus on post modernism.

Unfortunately i STILL do not understand what post modernism is exactly...

but that doesnt matter... because EVERYTHING is post modern,

YOU are post modern.

...thats all.

arooshika...

HSC
i found the essay questions quite challenging, it took me 15mins to decide on which question including the reading time...luckily i did the essay first and it was good i just finished it to

p.s, if anyone still has the exam paper, what does the last essay question say...i think it was question 10

gengee

Question ten was 'Using the structural and cultural framnes, interpret the work of an artist you have studied.'

Personally, I thought it was an ok exam. Except for the Julian Ashton question, I had to bullshit in that. But everything else was alright, including the essays.

yesgentlemen

Sexbox
HSC
gengee said:
Except for the Julian Ashton question, I had to bullshit in that.
I don't understand what people found difficult about that question? The answers were entirely given to you in the plates and the short description of the artist.

I thought the exam was a lot easier than it should've been: no aboriginal art, no historians or critics, no architects or sculpture.

The Duchamp question was basically a gift 12 marks. Loved it all, and for my last HSC exam, I finished on such a high.

y=mx+b

HSC
hated it. at least i finished it in 15mins. yay, 10% for art coming up!

Varekai

HSC
I don't think anyone was really in the mood...yet it still doesn't feel like the exams are over! The essay questions were too specific...I took a while contemplating whether to do 5 or 8...I liked the Duchamp question... I had looked over Postmodernism...How did everyone go with their BOWs??

Tarni1

HSC
I did Q7..i found those questions a little harder than previous years for some reason..the short answers were pretty straight foward..so happy when i saw 'Fountain' Artists i used;
Duchamp
Arthur Boyd
Julie Rrap
Da Vinci
Gordon Bennett
....I forget the rest now lol
postmodernism i think is a difficult concept.

what I hate is the way visual arts is put down a lot as a subject by other students/teachers. I go to a school where it's not looked upon as an important subject (in contrast to maths/science..). People think it's 'easy' or something, or all it is is painting.
Personally I think art, english, history etc are much more important than subjects as maths. A lot more interesting and valuable !
What about your schools?

amy rose

i thought the Q's were really straightforward and all the answers were basically listed in the plates........the essay Q's though were not as generic as past years and that freaked me out!

jellybean007

HSC
N/A
yesgentlemen said:
I don't understand what people found difficult about that question? The answers were entirely given to you in the plates and the short description of the artist.

I thought the exam was a lot easier than it should've been: no aboriginal art, no historians or critics, no architects or sculpture.

The Duchamp question was basically a gift 12 marks. Loved it all, and for my last HSC exam, I finished on such a high.

Totally agree - finished on the biggest trip! Loved the exam!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Tarni1 said:
I did Q7..i found those questions a little harder than previous years for some reason..the short answers were pretty straight foward..so happy when i saw 'Fountain' Artists i used;
Duchamp
Arthur Boyd
Julie Rrap
Da Vinci
Gordon Bennett
....I forget the rest now lol
postmodernism i think is a difficult concept.

what I hate is the way visual arts is put down a lot as a subject by other students/teachers. I go to a school where it's not looked upon as an important subject (in contrast to maths/science..). People think it's 'easy' or something, or all it is is painting.
Personally I think art, english, history etc are much more important than subjects as maths. A lot more interesting and valuable !
What about your schools?

Visual Arts is the most popular subject at my school in my grade for the HSC (2006)
Just thought you ought to know, that there is one school that focusses on it more than any other subject...
Then again, we are a Performing Arts School...

darkroomgirl

HSC
yesgentlemen said:
I thought that ENTIRE EXAM was a gift.

The Julian Ashton question was also pretty easy I thought. Had to work around the question for a while, though, before the answers clicked. Good thing I actually like art theory and know how to bullshit my way through it :D

For the essay I did Question 7... something about artists not being makers of art, but managers and coordinators. That was mad... it fit everything that I was studying so far. A true blessing.

AHH! Thank God it's over!

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i thought it was ok. it wasn't easy. i think i did better in the essay..i did question 9 using polyclitus,phidias,byzantine art, michelangelo,morimura. it took me awhile to get around the questions..i think i did 6 pages for section 1..and 11 pages for the essay.

*ashlea*

HSC
I thought the exam was pretty good. I did Q5 for the essay, tossed up between it and Q10. I was so glad there wasn't any critic and historian parts in the test, i likes the use of an artist's quote instead in the Duchamp question. :) How did everyone go with their BOW's? Mine got preselected for art express along with 5 others from my school (19 students doing art in my year, being selective my school focuses heavily on maths and science for seniors...) How bout your school?

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
I loved the exam! It was heaps easy in comparison to last year's. It was really straightforward and the Duchamp's question should have been easy recognizable to ANY art student.

What did you write for the first question about art making practice? I said that he paints outside (directly from nature), uses naturalistic colors and paints daily life/scenes.

I did Q10.

PRODIGAL

HSC
I wouldn't really call it a gift but it could have been a hell of a lot worse, julian ashton question wasn't hard just look at the plates, PM iman prototype question wasnt too hard but i hadnt really done much on Post modernism so didnt reaaally like it, marcel duchamps EASY AS and essays were pretty good (well mine was there anyway!) and as for body of works two people in my class did drawings two people in my class got picked for art express selection QUESS WHO haha conceptual strength my ass they were just looking for pretty drawings like always but hey I'M NOT BITTER hehehe

BubbyG

HSC
I fully agree Tarni1, my friends and other teachers all think art exams are about stuff like "which colour is this?" and "how do you draw a house?" its so dissapointing that they dis people that actually appreciate good art and want learn about art history, i wish people at my skool would learn more about this valuable subject before they start laughing at it and those who do it.

Robert422

HSC
Art!

I think the postmodern frame is awesome! doing it in english in telling the, and even comparitive study certainly gave me and edge in understanding its concept. What did you say for question 1? was hardest question of the lot i thought, simple but still specific, lol. Swallows was simple, duchamp postermodern blah blah, and i did question 5 with the quote about the artists doesnt draw what he sees but what he wonts ohters to see...or something like that. A top student out there would you like to give me a briefing on what you wrote paraphrased? thankyou, also i used barbrar kruegar, jenny holtzer, kaith kollowitz, and bill henson in my final essay and mentioned one and sometimes 2 of there works wrote around 7 pages.

Kind Regards,

Robert 422

Any reply would be appreciated in response to this

arooshika...

HSC
i just found out some good news for me! i thought i stuffed up my art essay cause for q 10 it said 'an artist......and artwork' or something like that and i did 4 different artists and 8 artworks so i was quite worried cause later when i reread the question properly i realised i fucked up. so on monday i called the board of studies and wanted to find out the marking criteria because i wanted to know how they marked that question so i could prepare for the worst but the visual art inspector talked to me and said it was fine and putting more than 1 artist and artwork was better cause i expanded the details in the essay or something like that. so at the end of the call i became relaxed.

im just a worried type person

anyways ta for listening to my true story

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)