General thoughts (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have heard a lot of complaints about that question from my classmates and apparently there was a local media story about it (though that is unconfirmed at this point). In all truth though I didn't think it was as difficult as everyone made it out to be.
The question was essentially asking for staging. I personally discussed stage design, characterisation and dramatic themes and conventions I would use. To me at the very least, the question asked you to think as a director and share what you would do to put the plays on stage.

though the irish one was annoying untill I realised it was a discuss so I could disagree with it. that made it infinitely more easy to address.
I think everyone was just ready to write the usual personal/social/cultural concerns, experiences and ideas through forms, conventions and techniques. It was just a bit of a surprise! I had to rethink all my ideas but I did the same as you so fingers crossed it's successfull! Maybe drama will scale slightly higher this year if the marks are lower!?

katoji

HSC
Both threw me off. I wasn't sure if I did integrate the question well. But basically: I tried to refer to every aspect of the play, including my experiences as an actress, in that particular theatre space. And I adapted the techniques/set design/etc to it.

Were you still meant to talk about Australian issues in question one?

Verbatim was dodgy for me too. But since it did say "discuss", I tried to take both views. Hopefully that was ok too.

I really don't know if I did well, mediocre, or horribly.

Sophia H

HSC
My issue with question one was that, despite being a drama student, I think in English, literary terms, not in terms of physical stage space or as a director: trying to think up a way to stage my plays (and seriously, Norm + Ahmed is NOT MADE for a big stage like that, it needs a more intimate setting) and then communicate it just threw me a lot. I would have liked it as an assignment question, because it required a bit of creativity, but I just wasn't expecting it and I didn't like second-guessing myself in the middle of an exam. I just waffled a bit and slotted in "the stage in image 1" a lot.

Thought the black comedy one was good, verrrrrry straightforward and easy, so hopefully I'll make up some marks there!

insomniac_dog

HSC
Section I: Surprised me when I first opened the paper up, but quickly realised that it was simply focusing more on the experiential side of things rather than theory. I approached my response as if I were a director and used class experiences with the plays as a basis for how I would stage certain scenes/events. The Chapel Perilous was fairly easy to translate, The Removalists took more "outside-the-box" thinking but I think I got the job done.

Section II: Irish Drama - the quote was interesting because I did not totally agree with it, so my response was a bit of a "yes, but". I'm glad it focused on the characters of the plays (my class did Dancing at Lughnasa and The Beauty Queen of Leenane) rather than events, set design, etc, as I think I was able to talk about the Irish voice as well as contextual influences strongly.

Any thoughts on what I did?

avismce

HSC
hey did you do the laramie project? how did you find it?

the theatre company im involved in was recently asked to perform at la mama theatre in melbourne!!

would have been good to do! we did 'tragedy'
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OMD OH MY FUCKING GOD THE FIRST SECTION WAS A PIECE OF SHIT

LIKE WHAT THE FUCK!? WHO DOES THAT?

Last edited:

Mistriousfrog

HSC
Section I: Surprised me when I first opened the paper up, but quickly realised that it was simply focusing more on the experiential side of things rather than theory. I approached my response as if I were a director and used class experiences with the plays as a basis for how I would stage certain scenes/events. The Chapel Perilous was fairly easy to translate, The Removalists took more "outside-the-box" thinking but I think I got the job done.

Section II: Irish Drama - the quote was interesting because I did not totally agree with it, so my response was a bit of a "yes, but". I'm glad it focused on the characters of the plays (my class did Dancing at Lughnasa and The Beauty Queen of Leenane) rather than events, set design, etc, as I think I was able to talk about the Irish voice as well as contextual influences strongly.

Any thoughts on what I did?
I had the same topics as you and answered in the same way. with the first question I talked about set design and then characterisation based on the dialogue and experience performing. Unfortunately I got most of the way through my essay and realised I had only made one reference to personal experience so I kind of shoved a bunch in the end.
As for the Irish I also argued "yes but." This was a "Discuss" question so we were allowed to disagree if it suited us.

insomniac_dog

HSC
Sorry, are you talking to me? I don't know anything about the Laramie Project, I'm afraid.

ezzh

HSC
EASY! Thank the lord my class did thrust stages for experiential learning!

HSC
I did =/ Just to be safe. That's what the syllabus says we are supposed to learn! The 'ideas' and 'images' mentioned in the question were how I added in issues/experiences. Hopefully it'll be alright!

katoji

HSC
hey did you do the laramie project? how did you find it?

the theatre company im involved in was recently asked to perform at la mama theatre in melbourne!!

would have been good to do! we did 'tragedy'
Oh you're involved in a theatre company? Nice! Are you acting in it as well? How'd you get into it?
I'm glad I studied the Laramie Project, better than the other prescribed texts imo. Going to try and watch more plays like that after the HSC.
I also auditioned for something using a monologue from the play :D It went well.

ashleacrane

HSC
Both threw me off. I wasn't sure if I did integrate the question well. But basically: I tried to refer to every aspect of the play, including my experiences as an actress, in that particular theatre space. And I adapted the techniques/set design/etc to it.

Verbatim was dodgy for me too. But since it did say "discuss", I tried to take both views. Hopefully that was ok too.

I really don't know if I did well, mediocre, or horribly.
Yeeeeesss.. Lol. You had to talk about the distinctively Australian themes and what not

ashleacrane

HSC
My issue with question one was that, despite being a drama student, I think in English, literary terms, not in terms of physical stage space or as a director: trying to think up a way to stage my plays (and seriously, Norm + Ahmed is NOT MADE for a big stage like that, it needs a more intimate setting) and then communicate it just threw me a lot. I would have liked it as an assignment question, because it required a bit of creativity, but I just wasn't expecting it and I didn't like second-guessing myself in the middle of an exam. I just waffled a bit and slotted in "the stage in image 1" a lot.

Thought the black comedy one was good, verrrrrry straightforward and easy, so hopefully I'll make up some marks there!
You could have said 'I would not stage ________ in the theatre space seen in the picture provided because.....'
Was talking to my drama teacher after the exam and he said that would have been a good answer because apparently you can't stage Ruby moon in that space. I looked at it and went YOU BEAUTY haha. Question one was a breeze.

HSC
You could have said 'I would not stage ________ in the theatre space seen in the picture provided because.....'
Was talking to my drama teacher after the exam and he said that would have been a good answer because apparently you can't stage Ruby moon in that space. I looked at it and went YOU BEAUTY haha. Question one was a breeze.
But you can stage any play anywhere if you really want to. I did 'Ruby Moon' and adapted it to the stage quite easily I thought...I hope that was ok =/

shakky

HSC
But you can stage any play anywhere if you really want to. I did 'Ruby Moon' and adapted it to the stage quite easily I thought...I hope that was ok =/
Yeh I did Ruby Moon and Stolen and I adapted it pretty well, but I didn't find add or find any relevance of the actual shape of the stage (because in my opinion it had no significance to anything) so instead I referred back to my class workshops, and placed emphasis on lighting, positioning, character, stage props and movement. I also tried to throw in the idea of placing a character in the audience seating to break the fourth wall (just something fancy-lol).

However I think I will lose marks because I wasn't being hypothetical, instead i was applying my experience and how it would work in a similar space. I was deceived by the question which said YOUR STUDY AND EXPERIENCE so i was pretty confused at how to tackle it????

Melley-belley

HSC
Q1. I just did what i do in art & referenced the picture (designated stage) with my class example or separately.
And the Brecht Q was easy, you could either say the his alienation has contradictions e.g. Grusha dramatic actor
OR his socio-political message = highly influenced by Marx = Contradictions of capitalist society

Melley-belley

HSC
You can stage Ruby Moon in a stage like that because its up to interpretation and creative insight as to what you would sort of stage you would use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)