General UAI system (1 Viewer)

kcluk

Hi,
Just would like to tell everyone that those threads about UAI prediction is not to truely correct. UAI is highly calculated off from your EXTERNAL HSC marks.
According to UAC source, a candidate needs to averagely score a raw mark of 75 for each subject to get a 90 or more UAI. Of course scaling kicks in.
E.G if you get 75 for business studies, it is a bit below average, whereas you get 75 for 3u maths...thats a good result.
So this really balances it out.
Everyone thinking that school rankings are critical to determine UAI, their wrong. School assesments are used to determine HSC MARK not UAI.
UAI and HSC(the actual certificate you get, like the SC) are 2 diffrent things.
UAC will look at school assessments, but does not really affect much of the UAI outcome. i.e even if your getting average results at school, you will still have a chance of getting 90+UAI.
What UAC does is they ONLY collect the RAW external HSC examination marks, then they scale those to generate UAI.
Also, you cannot get below 50 for a scaled mark, as scaled marks are FROM 50-100.
To posibly get a UAI from 30s-50s, you got to be really dumb, and I mean like getting 30s-40s for every single exam and assesment throught out year 12 (incl. Final HSC)

GoodLuck everyone!!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I feel obliged to point out that the above post contains numerous errors and should not be taken seriously.

Sorry to spoil the party.

kofmaster

Lazarus said:
I feel obliged to point out that the above post contains numerous errors and should not be taken seriously.

Sorry to spoil the party.
ok lazarus can you tell us what was wrong with the statement and correct it plz

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
*sigh*

Most of it has already been said elsewhere.

kcluk said:
UAI is highly calculated off from your EXTERNAL HSC marks.
This is not true. The UAI is calculated from scaled HSC marks, which are in turn determined from raw HSC marks. Raw HSC marks are a 50:50 combination of external examination marks and internal moderated assessment marks. Neither component has a greater weighting than the other.

kcluk said:
According to UAC source, a candidate needs to averagely score a raw mark of 75 for each subject to get a 90 or more UAI.
Of course scaling kicks in.
E.G if you get 75 for business studies, it is a bit below average, whereas you get 75 for 3u maths...thats a good result.
This is not true. No details regarding the distributions of raw marks have been released. Any statements referring to 'raw averages' and the like are purely speculative. It is all but impossible to correlate some kind of 'average raw mark' to particular UAIs, as this takes no account of scaling between courses. It cannot be said that scaling simply "balances it out" for an individual student, and such a statement implies a misunderstanding of the mechanics behind the system.

kcluk said:
Everyone thinking that school rankings are critical to determine UAI, their wrong. School assesments are used to determine HSC MARK not UAI.
This is not true. As previously stated, UAIs are calculated from scaled HSC marks, which are in turn determined from raw HSC marks. Raw HSC marks are a 50:50 combination of external examination marks and internal moderated assessment marks. Clearly, school assessments play a large role (as large as the HSC exams) in determining UAIs.

kcluk said:
What UAC does is they ONLY collect the RAW external HSC examination marks, then they scale those to generate UAI.
This is not true. See above paragraph.

kcluk said:
Also, you cannot get below 50 for a scaled mark, as scaled marks are FROM 50-100.
This is not true. Scaled marks range from 0 to 50. It is the aligned marks (those reported by the Board) that tend to fall between 50 and 100, but they aren't restricted to that range either.

kcluk said:
To posibly get a UAI from 30s-50s, you got to be really dumb, and I mean like getting 30s-40s for every single exam and assesment throught out year 12 (incl. Final HSC)
This is a gross generalisation. Whilst it is true that the median UAI is usually around 66, it cannot be said that students ranked lower than this have "got to be really dumb", or even that school marks of less than 40 will result in an extremely low UAI. Everything is relative.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
kcluk said:
Hi,
Just would like to tell everyone that those threads about UAI prediction is not to truely correct. UAI is highly calculated off from your EXTERNAL HSC marks.
According to UAC source, a candidate needs to averagely score a raw mark of 75 for each subject to get a 90 or more UAI. Of course scaling kicks in.
UAI and HSC(the actual certificate you get, like the SC) are 2 diffrent things.
UAC will look at school assessments, but does not really affect much of the UAI outcome. i.e even if your getting average results at school, you will still have a chance of getting 90+UAI.

GoodLuck everyone!!!
this is the bomb i believe this cause it is true
amen

MouNtY

lol yeah it would be pretty good if it was tru but then noooooooooooooooo......laz had to go and shot it down......

lol jks

kofmaster

kcluk said:
Hi,
GoodLuck everyone!!!

where exactly did you get thoses sources from and are they credible?

superbird

HSC
obviously school-based assessments are important. how fair would it be if your uai was determined just by your exams. god forbid if you stuffed up or was ill on the day.

saying that the uai is determined by your raw hsc exam mark is like saying that the whole 2 years of effort put into assessments is a total waste of time.

tamster

what about me?

I do these subjects:
Eng Extension, Mathematics, Chemistry, Bio, Advanced Eng, Ancient History, History Extension. In all but Advanced Eng. I think I'll get over 75% in both HSC and internal marks. For English Adv. I'll probably get in the 50-60s. What will this do to my HSC and UAI mark? Since English is counted as two units. My mother, a teacher said that they can count Exten English as one of these units if it is better.

tennille

HSC
Internal marks clearly have to play a role in the calculation of students' UAIs, otherwise what is the point of having internal exams? Clearly it would be unfair for just external marks to be used to determine a student's UAI...what happens if a student worked their butt off throughout the whole year but ended up bombing out in the HSC exams? Does that mean they'll get a crap UAI? I don't think so.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
tamster said:
I do these subjects:
Eng Extension, Mathematics, Chemistry, Bio, Advanced Eng, Ancient History, History Extension. In all but Advanced Eng. I think I'll get over 75% in both HSC and internal marks. For English Adv. I'll probably get in the 50-60s. What will this do to my HSC and UAI mark? Since English is counted as two units. My mother, a teacher said that they can count Exten English as one of these units if it is better.
yes, you can count 1 unit of extension and 1 unit of advanced.

mishka

HSC
N/A
thank you, lazarus, for clearing that up!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)