General UTS chit-chat (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and Hope you were all ready since exams almost over!' Thread

Musk said:
Everyone is away overseas :(
I won't be. My oversees holiday is scheduled from the end of January =)

I might be there at the Advisory Day with my bro who is looking to get into BBus.

krayzie_

HSC

When do we receive our new student cards? Ooft paying 9.00 + for a train ticket in the morning is a killer.. Since my concession on the card was only valid for 2007

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

Well in the past concession cards were valid until the end of March the following year (or the expiry date on your card, whichever is closer).

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
When do we receive our new student cards? Ooft paying 9.00 + for a train ticket in the morning is a killer.. Since my concession on the card was only valid for 2007
I don't think we get new student cards (except the 2008 students). Since last year (2007), they changed the policy that you would remain with the same student cards for the duration of your education at UTS (you will notice a commencement date on your cards rather than an expiry date).

Full time students who are eligible to get student concessions will probably get one of those travel concession renewal forms and we'll probably get a sticker which would go over the 2007 one.

krayzie_

HSC

jasee said:
Well in the past concession cards were valid until the end of March the following year (or the expiry date on your card, whichever is closer).
Really? I'm scared of getting busted by those dog transit officers, they will do anything to get a fine through. The picture on the SID says 2007 and theres no expiry date so I'd rather play it safe haha then risk getting a fine.

Huratio said:
I don't think we get new student cards (except the 2008 students). Since last year (2007), they changed the policy that you would remain with the same student cards for the duration of your education at UTS (you will notice a commencement date on your cards rather than an expiry date).

Full time students who are eligible to get student concessions will probably get one of those travel concession renewal forms and we'll probably get a sticker which would go over the 2007 one.
Oh I see, I was thinking the stamp thing on my card at the moment was burned in along with the UTS logo etc. Haha, so either they will have to change the whole card or they will give me a sticker, which is so cheap.

I wonder when UTS is going to bother to say something to students about the concessions.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

krayzie_ said:
Really? I'm scared of getting busted by those dog transit officers, they will do anything to get a fine through. The picture on the SID says 2007 and theres no expiry date so I'd rather play it safe haha then risk getting a fine.

Oh I see, I was thinking the stamp thing on my card at the moment was burned in along with the UTS logo etc. Haha, so either they will have to change the whole card or they will give me a sticker, which is so cheap.

I wonder when UTS is going to bother to say something to students about the concessions.
I'm pretty sure Jasee is correct. The 2007 concessions can be used right up to mid-March (not exactly sure what date though).

Here is an email which was broadcast in the beginning of 2007:

From <removed>
Sent Friday, January 5, 2007 5:34 pm
To <removed>
Subject [Broadcast] 2007 Student ID Cards

Dear student

In Spring 2006 UTS introduced a new perpetual student ID card for enrolled students.
This card is valid for the duration of your enrolment at UTS, unlike previous cards
that were valid for only 1 year and had to be re-issued every year.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Secks and w00t Holidays!' Thread

Ya, concession card should still be valid. And as said, they'll likely put a sticker over it or something >_>

Anyway, I still can't enrol in any of my business subjects. Urghh!

Subjects not available for enrolment

22522 Assurance Services and Audit 6 Core R01: Web Enrolment not permitted
79014 Applied Company Law 6 Core R01: Web Enrolment not permitted
79017 Taxation Law 6 Core R01: Web Enrolment not permitted

DIE UTS! @_@ I don't want to contact my damn relevant faculty for more information :mad:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Which semester are you doing applied company law?

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
Which semester are you doing applied company law?
Possibly my last because I've heard it's easy :D So going to try to have a more relaxing final semester.

Plan is:

Human-Computer Interaction (if we're still allowed to do it despite being removed from the pdf..awaiting a reply from Jim)
Project Management and Quality Assurance (gross)
Programming on the Internet (yay?)
Taxation Law (gross aswell)

Otherwise if HCI isn't allowed then:

PMQA
PotI
Tax Law
Audit...

Edit: Woo, HCI is available for us to do but I still can't choose it.

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ragnarok said:
Possibly my last because I've heard it's easy :D So going to try to have a more relaxing final semester.

Plan is:

Human-Computer Interaction (if we're still allowed to do it despite being removed from the pdf..awaiting a reply from Jim)
Project Management and Quality Assurance (gross)
Programming on the Internet (yay?)
Taxation Law (gross aswell)

Otherwise if HCI isn't allowed then:

PMQA
PotI
Tax Law
Audit...

Edit: Woo, HCI is available for us to do but I still can't choose it.
o_O I'm suprised. Jim said on the phone before that any subjects which were removed from the pdf would not be offered..

Yeah, I've heard Applied Company Law is fairly easy as well. That is why I'm mixing it up with ABC (fairly easy too?) and CMS (hard?).

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC

Huratio said:
o_O I'm suprised. Jim said on the phone before that any subjects which were removed from the pdf would not be offered..

Yeah, I've heard Applied Company Law is fairly easy as well. That is why I'm mixing it up with ABC (fairly easy too?) and CMS (hard?).
I'm going by what a friend told me since she emailed Jim and I guess he said yes?

ABC is pretty easy. Confusing at first but once you get it, it's pretty lame. Pray you don't get Roman lol. CMS is 'hard' if you don't do any work i.e. cramming is not going to work for this subject. There may be some weeks where you can't do the tute work but when you're in the tute it kind of finally clicks. Just be consistent and you'll do well.

Work resumes tomorrow *cries*

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

Applied Company Law isn't that hard, but it's so dead boring :p The 3 hour seminar tutorials don't help much either =.=; Tax Law is much more interesting, but it's harder (the assessments are not the actual content!) =\

ABC used to be like the hardest Accounting major subject before it was revised. Now it's not that hard once you get your head around it. I had Roman, lol, I didn't really go to the lectures; just the tutorials :p I did ABC in the first semester after it was revised *phew* lol. MDC is probably the hardest Accounting major subject now. CMS isn't that hard if you can get your head around all those numbers and stuff. ASR is probably the most boring subject. Audit is a bit challenging, but those that do this subject after doing Vac work in audit will find this subject a piece of cake to understand (but the assignment will still be impossible to get a good mark in!).

S3ng

HSC

Hi I am just wondering if i do the double degree of "B Business B Science in Information Technology" (UAI required is 84), is it possible to drop the B Science course and continue with the B Business, even though the B Business alone has a higher UAI cut-off of 90?

S3ng

HSC

also if u are allowed to drop, how long would it take until you are able to do so?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ragnarok said:
I'm going by what a friend told me since she emailed Jim and I guess he said yes?

ABC is pretty easy. Confusing at first but once you get it, it's pretty lame. Pray you don't get Roman lol. CMS is 'hard' if you don't do any work i.e. cramming is not going to work for this subject. There may be some weeks where you can't do the tute work but when you're in the tute it kind of finally clicks. Just be consistent and you'll do well.

Work resumes tomorrow *cries*
Sounds correct if it was a yes from Jim.

I'll try not to skip any classes for CMS lol. I've heard things like 30% fail rates or something. Not quite sure if they are true or not.

jasee said:
Applied Company Law isn't that hard, but it's so dead boring :p The 3 hour seminar tutorials don't help much either =.=; Tax Law is much more interesting, but it's harder (the assessments are not the actual content!) =\

ABC used to be like the hardest Accounting major subject before it was revised. Now it's not that hard once you get your head around it. I had Roman, lol, I didn't really go to the lectures; just the tutorials :p I did ABC in the first semester after it was revised *phew* lol. MDC is probably the hardest Accounting major subject now. CMS isn't that hard if you can get your head around all those numbers and stuff. ASR is probably the most boring subject. Audit is a bit challenging, but those that do this subject after doing Vac work in audit will find this subject a piece of cake to understand (but the assignment will still be impossible to get a good mark in!).
My friend did Applied Comp Law last semester and he said they scheduled 3hr tutorials, but on average only went for 1.5hrs lol.

Thanks for the reviews Jasee.

S3ng said:
Hi I am just wondering if i do the double degree of "B Business B Science in Information Technology" (UAI required is 84), is it possible to drop the B Science course and continue with the B Business, even though the B Business alone has a higher UAI cut-off of 90?
Yes it is possible. You can do this through an internal transfer/UAC (i'm not quite sure the correct one though- I've heard stories from people not being able to transfer internally and also being able to internally transfer).
You could always choose B Business at the Ku-Ring-Gai campus, and then transfer back to the City campus- meaning you would not lose your IT credits.

S3ng said:
also if u are allowed to drop, how long would it take until you are able to do so?
You can do it after your first semester.

S3ng

HSC

hey Huratio thanks a lot man. i'm taking your suggestion on board for sure

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions- either here or by PM.

~kiki

HSC
Re: The Official UTS Subject Reviews Thread

I've noticed UTS doesn't have any stats in the good universities guide-- its a little disconcerting :p

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC

I am now known as jase_. Hope this makes is easier for people!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

What prompted this change lol?
Everyone knows you as jasee already o.o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)