General UTS chit-chat (1 Viewer)

dram

i do things
HSC
Re: The UTS 'Get Naked, Secks, Study, Exams, then Secks Again' Thread

re the CMS exam,

i did the standard costing question (the one with the massive error in it) first up...i sat there staring at that overhead figure for about 5 minutes wondering if i'd gone nuts...

i probably found the relevant costing question the trickiest. which one did you blank out on huratio?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

dram said:
re the CMS exam,

i did the standard costing question (the one with the massive error in it) first up...i sat there staring at that overhead figure for about 5 minutes wondering if i'd gone nuts...

i probably found the relevant costing question the trickiest. which one did you blank out on huratio?
Yeah the relevant costing question was the one I blanked out on. Not unexpected though, one of the questions had to be hard (I thought the others were relatively easy). It was the one I left to the end too, which I had to rush after wasting time on the standard costing question. I'm hoping to score some marks for that question, but it doesn't look too good- I left like parts c and d blank..

I did the standard costing question first too and was doing high low several times just to see where I was wrong. I've joined the complainers on UTSonline already.
Wonder what action will be taken.

roadcone

HSC

it appears that both the management accounting subjects have students up in arms this semester.

HSC

roadcone said:
it appears that both the management accounting subjects have students up in arms this semester.
were there errors in mdc, i heard the paper was pretty okay for the most part?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Yeah.. what happened to MDC?

There are about 21 complaints on UTSonline about that mistake on the CMS paper lol.. still no reply from Bedford.

roadcone

HSC

sorry i really should have expanded my previous post.

nah no errors, lots of people (especially the international students) i think thought that it was much too hard and assessed most of the stuff in an indirect manner as opposed to asking the question straight out. there are about 50 or so complaints on uts online thus far.

personally i thought it was okay... not fantastic, but do-able.

HSC

lol well that's good for local students then as if there is some beneficial scaling it'll help people who are on the good side of the bell curve though if the questions were easy enough to understand for someone with reasonable english it's tough luck for the int students then! Did any of the lecturers for mdc reply back- I'd imagine they prob won't.

Re: CMS I can't see Bedford replying either. They'll prob not want to disclose what decision they'll come to ie:may be lenient in marking, may scale etc.

roadcone

HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
lol well that's good for local students then as if there is some beneficial scaling it'll help people who are on the good side of the bell curve though if the questions were easy enough to understand for someone with reasonable english it's tough luck for the int students then! Did any of the lecturers for mdc reply back- I'd imagine they prob won't.

Re: CMS I can't see Bedford replying either. They'll prob not want to disclose what decision they'll come to ie:may be lenient in marking, may scale etc.
yeah, the ability to speak english fluently was definitely an advantage in this exam. this is also the subject where in the first lecture, heidi sundin said something along the lines of 'if you don't have a good grip on english, drop this subject and come back another semester when you are better... because you will fail'

yep - both sundin and brown responded. basically telling everyone to stop freaking out and that generally people only fail if they really do not know their stuff... i think there was a comment in there that they focus on marking the process, not the final answer.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

roadcone said:
yeah, the ability to speak english fluently was definitely an advantage in this exam. this is also the subject where in the first lecture, heidi sundin said something along the lines of 'if you don't have a good grip on english, drop this subject and come back another semester when you are better... because you will fail'
Wow that is pretty harsh. Well.. I guess it is management accounting- so one should expect that there is a higher english skill requirement compared to a financial accounting subject.

Re: CMS- It was pretty much a punch in the face after a good semester. I have no complaints on the content and the teaching staff at all as it has been great. I guess your right ifsonotso, but it might be a bit hard ignoring all those CMS emails that David Bedford will see in his email on Monday.

roadcone

HSC

Huratio said:
Wow that is pretty harsh. Well.. I guess it is management accounting- so one should expect that there is a higher english skill requirement compared to a financial accounting subject.

i thought the same when i was sitting in this lecture (and was thinking to myself, yeah right). however after sitting the exam on friday night i can vouch that those who did not have a decent grip on english would have been severely disadvantaged.

roadcone

HSC

Malfoy said:
This kind of makes me glad I'm doing Economics as a major and not Accounting, which was the other likely candidate...

Legal Method & Research tomorrow, I'm fucked for the exam. :/
i have an exam tomorrow as well... which i am definitely not looking forward to.

good luck with LMR ey!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

roadcone said:
i thought the same when i was sitting in this lecture (and was thinking to myself, yeah right). however after sitting the exam on friday night i can vouch that those who did not have a decent grip on english would have been severely disadvantaged.
Oh yeah, wouldn't asking questions in an indirect manner be testing your knowledge rather than your skills in rote learning?

Hmm.. I'm going to be doing MDC next semester..

Good luck roadcone and Malfoy =)

roadcone

HSC

Huratio said:
Oh yeah, wouldn't asking questions in an indirect manner be testing your knowledge rather than your skills in rote learning?

Hmm.. I'm going to be doing MDC next semester..

Good luck roadcone and Malfoy =)
indeed, and i am all for testing in this manner. i think the issue that some had in this case was that it was very much application based and people would have come unstuck in the fact that they knew their theory really well, but were unable to apply it to the scenario at hand.

personally, i think the paper was fair... but the online discussion boards for the subject are hilarious.

HSC

mdc has always been application based, lol unless the paper was completely different from what i had or you had some really outspoken internationals this time around.

Thinking it was the latter ie: outspoken internations, as I remember the theory q's being quite difficult when I did it as well since you had to apply it to a situation and once I received my mark looked like they marked the final quite anally.

Gluck everyone with the remainder of the exams. Haha @huratio dw they've stuffed up cms on a number of occasions in the past and I'm sure David has been in a similar boat and usually doesn't reply though he replied to mine which was a real rarity!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

ifsonotso_100 said:
mdc has always been application based, lol unless the paper was completely different from what i had or you had some really outspoken internationals this time around.

Thinking it was the latter ie: outspoken internations, as I remember the theory q's being quite difficult when I did it as well since you had to apply it to a situation and once I received my mark looked like they marked the final quite anally.

Gluck everyone with the remainder of the exams. Haha @huratio dw they've stuffed up cms on a number of occasions in the past and I'm sure David has been in a similar boat and usually doesn't reply though he replied to mine which was a real rarity!
Yeah. I needed around 66% for a Distinction in that exam and around 83% for a High Distinction. I'm pretty much guaranteed a distinction, but with some scaling a high distinction could be possible.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

these exams have fucked up my sleeping patterns hard. Not really expecting too much this sem...just passes would be fine by me considering i did jack all throughout the sem. Cant wait to finish though.

krayzie_

HSC

jemsta said:
these exams have fucked up my sleeping patterns hard. Not really expecting too much this sem...just passes would be fine by me considering i did jack all throughout the sem. Cant wait to finish though.
Same this semester is so laid back for me :D

Subbies this friday? LOL

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC

Malfoy said:
Now to panic until results come out... *sigh*
Oh yeah.. you'll get used to waiting for uni results.. they take ages to come out at UTS.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC

Malfoy said:
I am going to kill the timetable allocating system. Law's got a preferential system, which is absolutely fucked as I'm now unable to attend the entirety of my classes for both Torts and Perspectives on Law.

Hopefully this will get fixed :/
Having the same problem but in different subjects , because of economics, everything has been f****

HSC

think of it as forced study time in the library ^, haha think how much you could potentially get done with no distractions in one of the no talking zones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)