• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Generated EMF (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Is it true, that, what ever side of a coil the current comes out of first THAT will be the positive terminal?

From Jacaranda: The terminal from which the current emerges at a particular instant is acting as the positive terminal

This knowledge works for questions I've tried, but It's not something I particularly understand - doesn't current flow from positive>negative (well Conventional)? So why should it becoming out of the positive terminal?

Graceofgod

HSC
dolbinau said:
Is it true, that, what ever side of a coil the current comes out of first THAT will be the positive terminal?

From Jacaranda: The terminal from which the current emerges at a particular instant is acting as the positive terminal

This knowledge works for questions I've tried, but It's not something I particularly understand - doesn't current flow from positive>negative (well Conventional)? So why should it becoming out of the positive terminal?
As you just said, conventional current comes from the positive terminal (goes from positive to negative). Sorry I don't see what's not to understand.

dolbinau

HSC
Well the current would be emerging from a positive terminal, but shouldn't it be emerging from the negative terminal in conventional current? (Goes from positive>emerges at negative terminal)

Graceofgod

HSC
*lost*

Electrons from negative terminal, conventional current from positive?

I think I am missing the context of what you are asking.

helper

HSC
N/A
With an induced EMF, you are increasing charges potential. It is like pushing water up hill. Once the induced EMF has increased the potential, it then flows down again.

So the induced EMF pushes the current to the positive terminal, it then flows if an external circuit is present from positive to negative.

Graceofgod

HSC
helper said:
With an induced EMF, you are increasing charges potential. It is like pushing water up hill. Once the induced EMF has increased the potential, it then flows down again.

So the induced EMF pushes the current to the positive terminal, it then flows if an external circuit is present from positive to negative.
I just got it, should have read the thread title.

dolbinau

HSC
helper said:

t hanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)