Generic Essay Help (1 Viewer)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
In preparation for the creation of my generic essay, i've broken down the rubric into a list of concepts that can be asked. I then highlighted the concepts that worked hand-in-hand which i could talk about in my generic, in order to make it a "generic" that covers all bases. However, i've come across a problem in that, out of the 8 main concepts i've extrapolated (disregarding the two that were asked for the 2015 paper), i have 4 that link together and another 4 that link together.

So my question is, should i make TWO generics to accommodate for this dilemma, or should i just try and fit it all into one?
My main concern is that i'm going to be wasting A LOT of time writing both and then having them both edited multiple times, considering i also have to write my creative before the holidays are over.

And don't bother giving me a lecture about how i shouldn't be memorising essays and shit, i really couldn't care less.

trumanblack

HSC
N/A
I followed the same plan for English. However to do so, your generic must be adaptable to all potential essay questions which is tricky but doable. For me, I couldn't smash every essay question with one generic so I had two for AOS to ensure I covered all bases :)

However, tbh my two essays were very similar for some paragraphs. The only difference was the related text (this way I was also prepared if they asked for 2 related) and the second idea I explored as well as thesis for that matter. This way there wasn't a WHOLE new essay I had to memorise but rather 2/3 paragraphs

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
mhmm, that's similar to what i would do if i were to make another one. I would just get my old techniques and ideas and reword/manipulate them in order to fit the mould of the other concepts.
If all goes well, i should have two generics that can be adapted to everything.

dwk72

HSC
I used the same generic essay for both English Advanced and Extension and received ban 6s for each. It can be done.
For discovery I picked texts/poems which were large and vague, since I could mould a generic paragraph to fit any type of discovery (ie. emphasise the key words of the syllabus).
For Hamlet/Shakespeare focus on your interpretation of the play. Start with writing a 2000 word essay on your interpretation of the play, then adapt it to as many questions possible.

Also, to save time, consider using the same related text in multiple units. For instance I used Albert Camus' The Fall twice in my HSC English and in my extension exam.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I used the same generic essay for both English Advanced and Extension and received ban 6s for each. It can be done.
For discovery I picked texts/poems which were large and vague, since I could mould a generic paragraph to fit any type of discovery (ie. emphasise the key words of the syllabus).
For Hamlet/Shakespeare focus on your interpretation of the play. Start with writing a 2000 word essay on your interpretation of the play, then adapt it to as many questions possible.

Also, to save time, consider using the same related text in multiple units. For instance I used Albert Camus' The Fall twice in my HSC English and in my extension exam.
but would you agree with me making two generics, each to satisfy different sets of concepts?

dwk72

HSC
but would you agree with me making two generics, each to satisfy different sets of concepts?
It really depends on the module/related texts.
I never prepared for each individual concept, rather I just slightly modified the generic paragraph to fit similar concepts. For instance, you could always prepare a generic paragraph to fit the topics of 're-discovery' and 'discovering something new'. Just change the wording, maybe add a new quote.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
It really depends on the module/related texts.
I never prepared for each individual concept, rather I just slightly modified the generic paragraph to fit similar concepts. For instance, you could always prepare a generic paragraph to fit the topics of 're-discovery' and 'discovering something new'. Just change the wording, maybe add a new quote.
I plan on doing something similar, using a bulk of concepts in one generic. I've found a number of concepts that work together and am gonna put them into one generic, however i still have some left over that i cant mould with that particular generic i.e. the generic will mainly focus on the fact that discovery is different for everyone based on culture, values, gender blah blah, which covers 4 concepts, but i can't integrate the other four that deal with that fact that discoveries offer new ideals, perceptions etc.
In that case, would two be suitable?

trumanblack

HSC
N/A
Definitely agree with the methods provided above to help save you time.

I think that deciding between 1 or 2 generics is dependent on how confident you are with tackling essay questions. I wasn't very confident with english and so I did 2 because I was afraid I couldn't mould it to suit the question properly (however for modules I just used 1 except for Module B speeches). Also because I was good at memorising essays it wasnt too much of a hassle for me.

In the end, just try and make your generic essay as open and adaptable as possible. A lot of the key terms in the syllabus are similar or open to interpretation so maybe you can think about what the words can represent and thus how you can make your essay work.

dwk72

HSC
I plan on doing something similar, using a bulk of concepts in one generic. I've found a number of concepts that work together and am gonna put them into one generic, however i still have some left over that i cant mould with that particular generic i.e. the generic will mainly focus on the fact that discovery is different for everyone based on culture, values, gender blah blah, which covers 4 concepts, but i can't integrate the other four that deal with that fact that discoveries offer new ideals, perceptions etc.
In that case, would two be suitable?
Just out of interest, what are your texts?
I had three paragraphs for my one text. Each focussed on a specific aspect of the discovery. The first was the lead up- I discussed the perception, values, biases etc. etc. of each character. Then I discussed the discovery in relation to the lead up. Then I discussed the effect in relation to the first two. Sometimes I would only use 2 of the 3. Just have some quotes which you can mould into the paragraph if the question is narrow (eg. gender).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)