genetics the code broken (1 Viewer)

Charon.

HSC
N/A
silvermoon said:
with the model question: u know how it says "you undertook an investigation" - did anyone actually do it?
Suprisingly we actually did this one, because our teacher tought it micght be in tha test. We used jelly snakes as chromosomes and pins to represnt the genes. I was also lucky cause they asked the same question in my trial.

Jessisbored

HSC
I didnt do this experiment so i majorly confused myself using paddlepop sticks and smarties...made me really hungry.
Yeah for the highly variable genes i spoke about introns and that 7 mark question was great!!!! I wrote about 3 full pages coz i didnt want to go overboard for 7 marks. coz 3 marks is about one paragraph.

i was happy that i new multiple alleles and polygenic inheritance coz i wrote it down then read the question and it told you! very cool.

I new it was uracil coz in my trial i guessed it and made sure i knew it this time. coz in my trial some of my yar put 'uracine' my teacher made fun of them from then on

phrred

HSC
who else had no idea about linkage except that theyre on the same chromosome...

did we have to talk abt southern blottin etc for the fingerpriting

Jessisbored

HSC
i gave a one sentence summary of the process but it wasnt asked coz it just asked us to outline the use of highly variable genes. not the process.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
Jessisbored said:
I didnt do this experiment so i majorly confused myself using paddlepop sticks and smarties...made me really hungry.
Yeah for the highly variable genes i spoke about introns and that 7 mark question was great!!!! I wrote about 3 full pages coz i didnt want to go overboard for 7 marks. coz 3 marks is about one paragraph.

i was happy that i new multiple alleles and polygenic inheritance coz i wrote it down then read the question and it told you! very cool.

I new it was uracil coz in my trial i guessed it and made sure i knew it this time. coz in my trial some of my yar put 'uracine' my teacher made fun of them from then on
i used paddle pop sticks with letters on either end, 13 paddle pop sticks, 26 letters. pulled out 2 at random, read one letter off each stick, recorded them as a match, placed sticks back in bucket, repeated till every letter had been used 3 times. observed which letter didnt ever match, assumed they were on the same paddle pop stick.

i made that up on the spot :D

*BUCKO*

didnt have a clue about linkage experiment...so i just modelled crossing over...and labelled linked genes. I thought the questions were really not specific enough!Some of the ones in the middle section....but some of the multiple choice was a bit iffi...could have been any answer for some of them.

Jessisbored

HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
i used paddle pop sticks with letters on either end, 13 paddle pop sticks, 26 letters. pulled out 2 at random, read one letter off each stick, recorded them as a match, placed sticks back in bucket, repeated till every letter had been used 3 times. observed which letter didnt ever match, assumed they were on the same paddle pop stick.

i made that up on the spot :D

Good Job! Go the paddle pop sticks

malkin86

HSC
I second-guessed myself for the Uracil.. I thought it was a cough medicine or something... I still wrote it down, but doesn't it sound like a cough medicine?

nesstar

we did the linkage experiment...just with plastecine...not very exciting...but at the time the teacher stuffed it up at first and then we changed how we did it and so the whole prac was just really really confusing.....so i just went on about modelling meiosis with linked genes...

i didnt like the option very much because while the questions were broad, the testing of the topic was a bit narrow...i expected some of the gene expression/development/HOX etc to come up and human genome....why don't science exams test difficult aspects in the option?? i found my chem option (industrial) similarly stupid. I look at their questions and i think to myself - is it just me, or did i miss the point of this option? Because u dont seem to be examining the point...oh well.

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
witht he two graphs.... what was the answers

? im having nightmares over it

malkin86

HSC
As I remember, the answer was that egg-size was polygenic and that blood-type was multiple alleles, and that while blood types are distinct from each other, sizes aren't, so in between the gram sizes there were eggs on the bellshaped curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)