Genitic Modification (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Genetic Modification

Given the whole affair in the papers concerning Genetically Modified conolla, I decided it would be worth a thread.
Let's have your opinions on the whole issue.

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
We don't need genetically modified stuff. We have more than enough of our produce to keep us fat and happy.
And what's more they say they are bringing in the GM conolla (feel free to offer corrections about my spelling) to feed our chickens.
Be that explanation as it may, I have it on very good authority from several people in the poultry industry that there is no need for this imported stuff.
The feed mills in Australia don't put out anything near their maximum capability, but instead most of them are shut half the time, to save the chicken growers employing more people.
Instead the bring in genetically modified produce, with no known adavnatges, or even studies to prove it is safe for human consumption, and expect the public to turn a blind eye.
For about as long as the human race has existed we have survived just fine eating normal, organically, grown or raised produce. Why now do we, I mean Australia, a produce rich country, need some biogenetically altered stuff to save a few white collars a litte money.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
whats conolla?
do you mean canola?

i dont think we need gm food, but hey, if thats the way the worlds going, me whinging isnt gunna stop it?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Thanks for the correction. And maybe the world is going that one, but I don't particuarly want to go that way. Keep up the whinging it might do some good, you never know.

massmon

I can't stand GMO foods, or anything GM for that matter.

Today's headline in the paper was

US GOES TO WAR WITH EUROPE OVER GM FOOD

basically, US is demanding that the European UNion end its ban on GM crops and to pay them $2.5 billion in lost export compensation.

Bushy needs money for troops aye

The case has been filed by the WTO and does affect us too.

If the US wins, no country will be able to keep out GM products without facing trade sanctions.

I HATE THE US, (now anyways, but some of the women i'd go.)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I wonder if the US eat their own GM produce. They probably won't touch the stuff cause if it were unsafe for huamn consumption it wouldn't surprise me. The US always put profits first.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I cannot see any problem with GM crops... With what we have done to the world we may end up needing GM crops at some stage. Besides, at the very broad level, GM crops are only accelerating the process of selective cropping.

The global food security issue is one of distribution rather than of the volume produced, though.

massmon

Yes selective growth in cropping is a bad thing,
hence the Irish potato blight, sure, you may think it won't happen but already had.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
GM modification can have some benefits to the industry of food protection and is basically a version of selective breeding.

Whether we like it or not anything we eat isn't going to be a naturally produced food crop, it would have been controlled for generations to get the right texture, flavour etc.

GM is the future, except that the areas where it would be most useful (basically poor inhospitable areas for medicine/durability) are those where there is no profit to be made, so progress isn't very possible while the unscientifically minded try to block any form of GM testing.

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
The GM companies are a huge problem. They copright the specific gene that was modified, not the modified crop as a whole. So say you farm natural corn down the road from a farm with GM corn, and these two crops cross-polinate, then your next crop may have this copyrighted gene and the GM company has the right to make you pay big $$$ or rip up your whole crop.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
I cannot see any problem with GM crops... With what we have done to the world we may end up needing GM crops at some stage. Besides, at the very broad level, GM crops are only accelerating the process of selective cropping.

The global food security issue is one of distribution rather than of the volume produced, though.
Perhaps you see it that way. But having I myself, can't really believe research done by the GM companies themselves as clandestine.

What is wrong with the natural product. There is nothing as good as it, and no real reason to change it.

Maybe there is a global food shortage, but not in Australia. If GM food was to help with the starving, then the companies, out of their genoristy should export it to Africa and other starving places.

Australia produces more than enough food for it's meagre population. The only thing that importing GM produce is going to bring us is more unempolyment, a loss of our productive output, and a sore blow to our economy.

And then there's the possibilty of health problems.....but there is no proof either way.

Generator

HSC
N/A
What is 'natural'?

I doubt that any of the commercial crops are natural or have been seen as natural since the early 10s or something distant like that.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Generator: Think further back to when wild grases were first farmed very few genetic variations were occuring as most were from one or two good specimens.

And to the others Do you think all those apple varities like Golden Sunshine (they need better names for them) are naturally found?

Look, the main humanity benefits from GM are for the third world, and this is the low/non profit market - if you want to help aid these problems, you need to support GM. Companies couldn't really care less, there's no money in feeding the third world - you need government funded research.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Perhaps generator, but that depends on your defintion of natural. Some are grown with fertilizers and growth enhancing procedures, but we're talking full, genetically changed crops. That's not just a little more ammonia in the fertilizer, that's something entirely new that has been manipulated by people for profits.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Supporting GM coming into this country will do nothing to promote it into third world countries. And it's not our country who is delving into this Gm produce, it's America.
And America always puts profits first.
As it is, the world shouldn't need to GM it's produce. The biggest problem is the difference between the farm gate price and the retail price. Farmers driven out of work so less produce is made. And then we have to import or else African countries starve without exports.

No, American COMPANIES put profit first, and so they should - you need GOVERNMENT FUNDED RESEARCH, which you only get with POLITICAL SUPPORT which comes from VOTER SUPPORT.

GM has countless benefits apart from more food for the third world. It's nothing to do with the price Australian farmers recieve for their produce.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Countless benefits? What could be more beneficical then naturally grown food which, for thousands of years, has fed us quite contentedly.

Is that suddenly not good enough. Does it need a little tampering with it's DNA. Do we have to meddle with things that shouldn't be meddled with because the American companies, and people such as yourself, say they're are advnatages.

And what's further, we must ask for whatever measley funds the government has and put them towards this unneeded research while there is no cure for cancer, they're homeless and other grater problems plague our society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)