Geo Help (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hey i didn't get to ask my teacher these questions, so i thought i could post them up here....any help would be great

firstly, what's the difference between conservation and preservation? and in which situations does each apply?

also, i've seen some past papers ask about field work i'd done that year, what i did, how i researched it and everything..

i actually haven't done any. what kind of topics come under field work tasks? to make a plausible fake answer i thought it'd be a good start to just have a few fieldwork topics in mind, so i know what to write about.

i had some other problems in the written responses.

outline one recent strategy used in the reconciliation process between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal relations.

how have community-based groups influenced the decision-making processes of Australian governments?

explain how ONE contemporary geographical issue affects australia's human or physical environment.
for this one, i haven't actually studied any contemporary geographical issues. this was a 2 page question, so i was wondering what sort of things i could write about....say i chose the topic of global warming....any ideas?

also, what is involved in contemporary land managemnet? i know that it is how we manage the land today, but what is involved in it? how does it differ from traditional land management ?

any help would be reeeally appreciated

cheers

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hey thanks :) those sites were great for some of the problems i had

those last two sites - are there such sites for sample answers for other subjects eg science?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Sorry, i dont have any other sample answer sites. But go to your local library they might have some School certificate standards books or cd's.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
-pari- said:
hey i didn't get to ask my teacher these questions, so i thought i could post them up here....any help would be great

firstly, what's the difference between conservation and preservation? and in which situations does each apply?

also, i've seen some past papers ask about field work i'd done that year, what i did, how i researched it and everything..

i actually haven't done any. what kind of topics come under field work tasks? to make a plausible fake answer i thought it'd be a good start to just have a few fieldwork topics in mind, so i know what to write about.

i had some other problems in the written responses.

outline one recent strategy used in the reconciliation process between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal relations.

how have community-based groups influenced the decision-making processes of Australian governments?

explain how ONE contemporary geographical issue affects australia's human or physical environment.
for this one, i haven't actually studied any contemporary geographical issues. this was a 2 page question, so i was wondering what sort of things i could write about....say i chose the topic of global warming....any ideas?

also, what is involved in contemporary land managemnet? i know that it is how we manage the land today, but what is involved in it? how does it differ from traditional land management ?

any help would be reeeally appreciated

cheers
heh all these questions look familiar :D so despite the links for the packages already posted, i might just have a go myself anyway XP

conservation means protection from destruction (SOME activities allowed eg. national parks) whereas preservation means keeping in present state and NO activities allowed at all, like fencing it off and not allowing anyone to go near it or something :p

i did coastal management for the fieldwork this year (yes my school actually went out :p), and we did stuff like line drawing, taking photos, and we had this guest speaker talking about stakeholders of this issue. basically you could make up other methods like interviews (as primary sources) with combinations of stuff like researching on internet and looking at other similar cases (secondary sources), before processing these data by methods such as graphing and communicating it to others. yes. i would just answer the question like this if it's asked in the sc XP

for the reconciliation process, i'm not really sure if you need to talk about really generalised stuff like educating ppl of the past, or something specific like the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation and the Four Strategies...i guess you can throw in stuff from history too, lol. i just hope that i can remember these things...:p

for the community question, i actually learnt this in conjunction qith the urban growth and decline topic, where we did a case study on pyrmont. basically in 2003 residents of Pyrmont formed Friends of Pyrmont Point to protest against a proposed development at the former Water Police Site at Elizabeth-Macarthur Bay, as the place is of significant cultural values. So they used methods such as lobbying, petitions, protests, rallies, demonstrations and so on, and they presented arguments against the proposal such as:
- the site is public land and should not be handed over to developers;
- the development will result in migration into the area, causing possible traffic congestion;
- consequent high-rise buildings will block out sunlight in the area (ok this one's a bit dodgy but still XP)
- the amount of open space per resident is already below the planning figure of City of Sydney Council (28 m sqr per person)

these should make a solid half-page response :D

as for the contemporary issues, that's exactly what you did in class on coastal management and urban growth & decline! (or, have you done them? maybe you did other issues in geo this year at your school, no idea :p) so just chuck in all the processes associated with these issues, like erosion - caused by hydraulic action & corrosion & corrasion, deposition, longshore drift (coastal), and stuff like urbanisation, gentrification, urban decay, decentralisation, urban sprawl, urban renewal, exurbanisation, suburbanisation and so on. whatever you're doing, always remember to actually NAME the processes you're referring to - it's just not good enough describing them all without actually stating the term :p and use words they give you in the question, eg. if they ask about the consequences of the processes, write 'the consequence of -process name- is blah blah blah' somewhere in your essay :p

and btw, try to write quickly - maybe it's just me, but i sometimes find myself dangerously on the edge of running out of time >.< and remember you don't need to write the whole textbook that you learnt in the paper, it's just gonna be less than two pages :p wish you good luck :) (yikes...sc in two days...argh what do i know about women's liberation for history?? x.x :p)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hey airie

thanks that was a great help....u really seemed to have learnt a lot in geo this year....we didn't cover many topics.

just one about ur fieldwork task....i know the processes of fieldwork tasks, like gathering relevant data and everything, but u know how u did coastal managment? what were you trying to find out? what were u investigating? and in the end, what did your results show you?

oh and also, for the contemporary issue..believe it or not we didn't do any of that stufff!!! .....could you elaborate on one of the topics for me because though some of those topics sound familiar, i'm not really aware of what's involved in them, and what they're about and stuff

thanks again for the help!! :D

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
uhh tell ya the truth, to this date i'm still not quite clear on what we were doing down at botany bay...even though i got 39 out of 40 for my report XP err...i think we were just looking at the geo processes like longshore drift (our teacher even made a pretty pathetic attempt to make it out in the sea XP wasn't a particular great day for fieldwork i'd say :p), and ok, we saw some little waves that were *sort of* going up to the north. heh. and in our report we basically discussed the physical processes and their effects, and from that guest speaker we learnt the main stakeholders eg. Sydney Foreshore Authority, local residents, tax payers, engineers who designed machines to prevent run-off from contaminating the waters (ok i'm getting carried away :p but seriously, this was one of them XP), as well as some methods used to manage the coast eg. seagrass implants, seawalls, groynes (oh yes, and we did a line drawing looking out from botany bay, and in mine i had two groynes drawn, as well as features such as railings used to prevent excessive treading on pioneer plants eg. spinifex which helps stabilising the sand on beaches, some physical ones too like cliffs, headlands, beaches etc). so at last we put all these into a report and handed it in :D

just posting this out first, so that you don't have to wait too long for the first query :p i'll think of more stuff to the contemporary issues now :)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
hey airie...thanks heeapps for all the info!! :D :D it really helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)