Geo: Research Action Plan + Trade (1 Viewer)

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Geography has been a real bludge for my class as we don't get taught much; that's why I need serious help for Civics =.=

What is a research action plan? I know it's something to do with the spatial and environmental dimensions but =\?

Briefly describe THREE of the steps you would take in developing a research
action plan to investigate a geographical issue through fieldwork.

What would be a 15/15 response about trade be like?

Edit: Oh and thanks to the guys who helped me with the question on the Australian government population policy ^^

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
action plan

1) Collect infomation regarding the issue
2) Process your data
3) Draw conclusion from the data you have process

I dono about trade, I did defence.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Isn't the questions asking you about geographical issues?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Telekinetik said:
Isn't the questions asking you about geographical issues?
Yes, lets say i am investigating how polluted a beach is. To investigate the issue you must

1) Collect relevent data, lets say i collect some lagoon water and sand and do a few chemical test for polution
2) I process the data and graph them and campare them etc
3) I draw a conclusion on whether the beach is polluted and communicate my findings to the council.

DekarTyphon

HSC
Uni Grad
z600 has it in one. You'll probably need to extrapolate a bit to get the full marks, but in a nutshell that's the answer.

Also, the good thing about the Geography segment of the Civics paper is it requires little preparation. It's a very open-ended paper traditionally, and as a result you can more or less pick up the answers on the day, as long as you have a rudimentary knowledge.

James747

HSC
We went to this stupid island to do the task. We didn't even know it was part of a "research action plan", a;; we were told was that it counts 10% to our reports....
We got a work sheet a couple days ago telling us exactly wut steps are involved. There are a total of 15, but z600 has mentioned prob the most important ones. SInce it a fieldwork task, I don't really think trade would be as suitable to do.....

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Ye, i know there are like 15 steps. I was the only person in my year to do defence, it's the best. It overlaps with history and its short and clean nothing long involved.

topdeck

HSC
i'm not sure about the 15 steps...i know our school made us learn eight though. they were:

1. Aim of the investigation
2. Focus questions- developing a set of questions that will help you to gather information about the issue.
3. Primary / Secondary Data- working out which questions need what type of data.
4. Methodologies
5. How you collected your information- i.e. books, internet etc.
6. Process data- how are you going to process the data? e.g. graphs, diagrams.
7. Presenation- what presentation methods, e.g. report, powerpoint etc
8. Citizenship- suggest appropriate action that can be taken by individuals and groups to adress the issue.

Hope this helps

alannabowd

HSC
The research action plans we did were structured as follows:
:::EXAMPLE:::

Issue: Air Quality

Spatial Dimension: (Where it is) Poor air quality is generally centralised around areas of heavy urban or industrial development. The areas most susceptible to declining air quality are usually cities and other heavily populated areas. One such example of this is the declining air quality in the hunter region, where many manufacturing industries, and coal mines exist.

Ecological Dimension: (Human effects on the issue) Declining air quality can be contributed to by a number of things, most of which are directly related to, or caused by, humans. For example, the burning of coal and other fossil fuels, transport, smoking, photo-chemical smog, bushfires and the overgrazing of land.

Processes: (What makes the issue occur) The sun reacts with nitrous oxide & volatile compuounds to form smog. This smog is then trapped in low-lying areas.

Impacts: (The affect the issue has on the following categories)
Environmental - Smog, enhanced greenhouse effect, vegetation and topsoil loss.
Human - Increased allergies, breathing problems, fatigue, long-term health issues, eye problems.

Responses: (what the following groups can do/are doing to help)
Individuals - Reduction of smoking publically, alternate heating (solar etc), reduce aerosol use etc.
Groups - Lobby local/state government for introduction of regulations on aerosol use, try to raise awareness within the community, etc.
Government - Introduce laws/regulations for industries which contribute to the declining air quality etc etc.

Research Action Questions: (things to investigate and what method you can use to do so)
Eg.
-Do a number of air quality tests within the area, taking some of the readings near the industrial area, and some further away.
-Research the affect this air quality is having on locals living both near the industrial area, and away from it by developing a survey to be distributed.
-Find out what actions council are taking to help prevent or minimise the impact of this issue.

That is one of the reports we did quickly in class for revision on thursday. This was the way we were told to present our geographical research action plans.

Tamaranadine was right in saying that if there is a question on this, you will probably be given the option of picking the one you studied, ie:
air quality
coastal management
land and water management
spacial inequality
waste management.
urban growth and decline

Hope that helps someone.
The structure of these plans do vary. But this was the way we've been taught. Hopefully it will offer some insight rather than confusion!

Good luck tomoz guys!
<3

Le3sah

HSC
This doesn’t relate to the research action plan or anything, I just don’t know how to make a new thread (I think it’s called that). This is my first time so I’m sorry if I break this thing (is that possible…?)
Anyway, can anyone please tell me what ‘Ecological sustainability’ means?

My brain is broken ><

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
1) Identify the issue in geographical context and identify key geographical processes involved.

2) Form a hypothesis which aims to show links/relationships within the geographical issue.

3) Form a plan to solve the hypothesis. Eg, phycially commit to fieldwork, gather information, background knowledge.

4) Tabulate results, analyse data and see if any discrepencies/points of interest are presented in data.

5) Formulate conclusion and check if the results answer the hypothesis.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty sure this is a fair answer- pretty much the same question was asked in my school's geography half yearly and this got a 5/5.

Spiketwo03

HSC
LOL ronald studying for geo ............ like its only Geo man .......... who cares......... your not doing it next yr :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)