Geography 2007! (1 Viewer)

letsfindlara

HSC
Apparently no-one on bos does Geography, but me. :santa:

If anyone else does it, what have you done in class so far, and are currently doing? We did topic 3 first, People and Economic Activity, and focused on the Wine Industry. Now we're starting Topic 1, Ecosystems at Risk. Our case studies are the Great Barrier Reef (along with every other kid) and the Stockton Bight Sand Dunes.

Cheers,
The only Geography student in 2007(??) xo.

Last edited:

Siddhartha

HSC
I'm doing geography too!! But i'm at preliminary stage this year, so technically, you're still the only geography student[class2007] on BoS.

We're starting the preliminary course with Evironmental Biogeography(I dont think biogeography is even in the syllabus).

But I would like to know if what happens in the Senor Geography Project (SGP), if anyone knows what that's all about...

ddtng

HSC
Sorry to disappoint you letsfindlara, but I will have to take away your status as the only 2007 geo student here. :bomb:

We've done Ecosystems at Risk, well almost. We went through Intertidal Wetlands and we have to research most of the second case study ourselves (Great Barrier Reef). We're starting Urban Places in class (the MAIN reason I'm doing geography... stuff the physical side, give me the human aspects!)

@Siddharta, the SGP is an opportunity for you to do some major research on a geography-related topic of your own choosing. You compile a report that could be done in writing or verbally. It's probably best if you do something local or something you know a lot about. Since it's such a broad assessment it means you could virtually do any forms of fieldwork (but it'll show if you decide to slack off and try to put it all together in one day, that's impossible). I ended up counting cars. :)

Last edited:

Agywaggy

HSC
I do Geography!!!!

I'm sure theres other as well.....

Were still doing Ecosystems at risk, case studies; Great Barrier reef and Cronulla Coastal Dunes! Were a little behind.....

I agree with ddtng, stuff physical, how boring!!! Human Geogrpahy is just soo much better and a lot more interesting!

Siddhartha

HSC
I disagree for I think physical geography is much more enjoyable and simple to understand, that's why I chose geography(I guess I'm just the odd one out, or I just haven't done anything interesting in human geography yet).

According to ddtng, the SGP sounds scary.

Agywaggy

HSC
Siddhartha, the SGP can be a little scary when you first get it, but it really isn't.... Its done over a long period of time and as long as you keep working on it, you'll be fine. Space it all out.
remember: Its not something can that be done the night before its due. you have like 2 terms or so to do it over that time.

letsfindlara

HSC
Haha, you all burst my bubble (and ddtng even blew up my head? lol thanks).

Ddtng - As to the physical vs. human geography argument, I think we've always focused more on the physical side. I feel like an idiot, so tell me more about human geography (seeing as you like it so much)?

Aggywaggy - I note you're doing "Cronulla Coastal Dunes" I'm assuming the place you call home is within the shire? "We're still doing Ecosystems at risk, case studies; Great Barrier reef and Cronulla Coastal Dunes! Were a little behind..." I find it's not that bad if you take things slower in Geography because there's only 3 topics, and 4 terms.

Siddharta - as soon as you get your SGP brainstorm heaps of ideas for your project. You don't want to get to the end and realise the only thing you learnt was how boring your topic is. Also, spread it out over the year. Plan ahead, designate some time for it whatever it takes, just don't leave it to the last minute. I'm telling you this from experience, I still hadn't completed my SGP the night before. I was working on it right up until the bell went for Geography. Those were some pretty stressful times.

I hope I don't encourage anyone in thinking you can do a year long project in one night! I had done the field work way ahead of time, and had begun the project but I kept putting off finishing it for other subjects. I ended up needing to piece everything together, and complete my analysis, evaluations and the conclusion in one night.

Agywaggy

HSC
letsfindlara, i live near the shire.
My class is sooo slow though, we;ll spend like a whole period talking which results in more homework and less study time. its soo annoying. but you are right!
Hey, what was the topic people and economic activity like? thats my next topic.

ddtng

HSC
Letsfindlara, you want me to explain why I prefer human geography over physical geography? Hmm...

All I can come up with is... personal preference I guess. Learning about things like ecosystem management doesn't really seem that interesting at all. I prefer the study of human populations, how we tend to move in urban areas over time, urbanisation, urban decline and all that. I just find it more interesting.

melanie.s

HSC
sgps! haha good times.

siddhartha, dont stress too much. yeah start planning it now but even if you dont its not that hard to do it all the night before. and i really mean ALL of it the night before. including filling out surveys that other people were meant to fill out (therefore making up your entire sgp. oops), and then trying to print colour photos only to realise your printer is out of ink, then getting someone else to print your whole sgp and bring it to school the next day for you.

i think it really would've helped though if our geography teacher had told us when it was due instead of giving us a weeks notice.

and letsfindlara, no you're not the only 07 geographer here. sorry! :burn: (i set you on fire? flame girl?)

letsfindlara

HSC
:eek: we should just re-name this thread "emoti(c)onally harm Lara".

Melanie.S all in one night? You're badddd ass. I don't know anyone else who did all that work in one night. :uhoh:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Well well, finally the '07 Geographers have popped up.

Human geo > physical any day ;) You'll love the year 12 course if you live by this, but I guess it does come down to what case studies/topics you do and you can probably focus more on either direction since there's quite a selection (unless you purely follow what your class covers).

For the record, I did my SGP in something like 5-6 hours maybe, made the whole thing up. Can't remember my exact mark, but it was quite high lol.

ALLLICE

HSC
Geo ftw!! :D :D man, those were some awesome times...i remember doing my SGP the night before too, i mean it didn't even take all night seriously and i got an awesome mark (lol im with melanie.s and uhawww)...but u soo can just make up surveys and crap- i did mine on something to do with the future epping to chatswood rail link, its potential impact on ppl or something...easy as ;)

Lol..but seriously why don't ppl do geo..it's great but it seems like it only has this kinda cult following

Dave2007

HSC
I'm another geography student.

You think you're bad procrastinators?

Its now 5:45 AM, and my first assessment for geo is on in TWO HOURS and i have done no study. So i'm desperately searching here for any helpful notes, but doesn't seem to be much...

Wish me luck with the tiredness and the assessment.

ALLLICE

HSC
Dave2007 said:
I'm another geography student.

You think you're bad procrastinators?

Its now 5:45 AM, and my first assessment for geo is on in TWO HOURS and i have done no study. So i'm desperately searching here for any helpful notes, but doesn't seem to be much...

Wish me luck with the tiredness and the assessment.
:eek:

LoL...goodluck then!

Dave2007

HSC
Thank you :)

All in all i didnt do that well, as the first half was ridiculously overspecific questions on random definitions, and the second half was an extended response which was basically "discuss ecosystems". I mean, nice and general there. But I suppose I'll find out in a few days lol

sarah-jne

HSC
hey guys i do geo too! we had an awesome teacher for yr11 but shes pregnant now so we have this new guy whos pretty hopeless.

last term we did viticulture as a gloal economic activity and now were doing ecosystems.

can anyone tell me....when writing about the biophysical intereactions that lead to diverse ecosystems and their funtioning - do i need to bother talking about biomes and classifying ecosystems and stuff like that?

thanks heaps guys and all the best for this year :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)