• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Geography 2025 New HSC Syllabus (2 Viewers)

Laxu01010

HSC
Hey, was just wondering if anyone knows what the best way to go about doing Geography for HSC next year as im starting get worried that this sylabus is a bunch of gibberish and is going to be impossible to do well in without any past exams. Prelims were abosultely terrible, our independent paper decided to not include any direct content but isntead focused on essays based of countries studied in class as well as the field research conducted.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding how to study for this new sylabus without past exams.

Also bonus question: How does scaling work with new syllabus's? What if the HSC exam is extremley hard and the state average is really low? Does that mean it will become a high scaling subject or is it locked into being low scaling because its 'Geo' and its ment to be easy. I have a bad feeling about what my year is going to get in our exams. The content is just so hard to prepare for without knowing past exams. But my main question is still what if the exam turns out to be really hard, will that make it scale better or not?

Thanks and good luck with the new hsc geo syllbus guys

melanie_o

HSC
My teacher said that the geographical skills is pretty much the same as the old syllabus, so feel free to study from practice questions from previous HSC/trial papers.

The content for the new syllabus can be found here:

I found the syllabus to be pretty useful for studying.

The sample exam cam be found here:

when I will say that I started crying internally when I found out that you have 35 mins for each of the two extended responses.

Basically, the exam structure goes as follows: (100 marks, 3 hours, 10 minutes reading time)
- Section 1: Multiple Choice (15 marks) - mainly on skills and potentially geographical inquiry skills such as ethical considerations. Almost all questions will require you to use the stimulus.

- Section 2: Short answer (45 marks) - mainly on skills and syllabus content, most will require the use of the stimulus booklet.

- Section 3: STRUCTURED extended response (20 marks) - will require knowledge of the relevant topic, in relation to the stimulus. Probably a comparison between two different examples of the same thing (e.g. two different vineyards).

- Section 4: Unstructured extended response (20 marks) - Just a regular essay, most likely will ask you to refer back to the stimuli provided.

As for studying, the 'Global Interactions (Year 12)' book will be your BIBLE for directing your learning.
ATOMI has recently released its year 12 course relevant to the new syllabus, I find the content to be concise and tightly within the parameters of the syllabus.

Since we will be the first year of the new syllabus, I highly doubt that there will be any curveballs and will most likely be direct syllabus content. Just focus on learning your content and knowing all your syllabus dot points and how they can manifest into exam questions.

HAVE EXAMPLES FOR EACH DOT POINT - markers eat them up!

Make sure you know your case studies in and out.

As for scaling, It goes for any subject; If the entire cohort performs badly, marks will go up, and vice versa.

You've got this! Best of wishes. :)

I'm lowkey scared for the exam but tbh I highly doubt that the exam will too bad, but I feel like it would be mean of NESA to make you suffer, especially since it is a new syllabus.

Manifesting a Band 6! :)

Laxu01010

HSC
Thanks for the sample exam I didn't know that existed. My only concern is how little the sample exam relies on the syllabus. The only questions that are content based are Q6, kinda Q14, Q17, Q18, Q19 and kinda Q20. As well as the section 4 essay. Though I am sure past geography exams have been the same, just kind of annoying imo as the sylabus is so long.

Also isn't there ment to be geographical research questions from the fieldwork conducted?

And your concern for the time to write the 2 essays I dont think it will be that big of a deal as you can easily do multiple choice faster than 30mins which is what they say and even the short answers probaly dont need 80mins

spiderfan44

HSC
Hey, was just wondering if anyone knows what the best way to go about doing Geography for HSC next year as im starting get worried that this sylabus is a bunch of gibberish and is going to be impossible to do well in without any past exams. Prelims were abosultely terrible, our independent paper decided to not include any direct content but isntead focused on essays based of countries studied in class as well as the field research conducted.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding how to study for this new sylabus without past exams.

Also bonus question: How does scaling work with new syllabus's? What if the HSC exam is extremley hard and the state average is really low? Does that mean it will become a high scaling subject or is it locked into being low scaling because its 'Geo' and its ment to be easy. I have a bad feeling about what my year is going to get in our exams. The content is just so hard to prepare for without knowing past exams. But my main question is still what if the exam turns out to be really hard, will that make it scale better or not?

Thanks and good luck with the new hsc geo syllbus guys
i do geo and had a look at the new syllabus, it honestly looks really similar to the old syllabus. old syllabus is made up of ecosystems at risk, urban dynamics and economic enterprises. new syallbus has ecosystems and global diversity which is very similar to ecosystems at risk, rural and urban places which is just urban dynamics, and then global sustainability which draws from some parts of economic enterprises. you should be fine going over past exams. also i think uac alters the scaling every year and nesa also reflects moderation every year for each subject so u should be fine.

spiderfan44

HSC
Thanks for the sample exam I didn't know that existed. My only concern is how little the sample exam relies on the syllabus. The only questions that are content based are Q6, kinda Q14, Q17, Q18, Q19 and kinda Q20. As well as the section 4 essay. Though I am sure past geography exams have been the same, just kind of annoying imo as the sylabus is so long.

Also isn't there ment to be geographical research questions from the fieldwork conducted?

And your concern for the time to write the 2 essays I dont think it will be that big of a deal as you can easily do multiple choice faster than 30mins which is what they say and even the short answers probaly dont need 80mins
geo has always had skills based questions as the majority of short answer, with only a short amount of short answer being content. those skills are part of the syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)