Geos204 (1 Viewer)

Bubblewax

HSC
Howdy! :)

Has anyone around here done GEOS204? Just wondering what it's like, and whether I should change my choice of it as an elective this semester...

Hope eStudent isn't giving any of you too much trouble! ;)

EDIT: Drat, can't change the title, but I think the code for this subject was previously ELS204...

Last edited:

Master E

HSC
Im taking this subject this year. I understand its a very broad, non-specific unit.
But, the feature that enticed me was the assignment dominated assessment structure. The uni website mentions:

"GEOS204 Life, the Universe and Everything 3 cp
Staff contact: A/Prof George

This is a broad-based interdisciplinary science unit which aims to present a non-technical overview of recent ideas in science. Many of these ideas relate to astrobiology, which is about the origin of life on Earth and the possibility of finding life elsewhere in the universe. The unit is suitable for students without any science background. The unit will:
  • Present an integrated view of science across a broad range of disciplines (geoscience, biology, cosmology, chemistry).
  • Look at some of the “Big Questions” (e.g. Origin of the Universe, What is Life?, Are We Alone?, Early Earth Environments).
  • Look at the science behind topical issues such as climate change and energy security.
  • Present science as it is actually done, not just as a set of facts.
Unit assessment is weighted towards assignments, with 30% on a class test in the last week of classes.
This unit was ELS204 in 2007, and utilises some material from the 2003-2007 GEOS309 Astrobiology unit."

I guess that means there's no final exam?

Bubblewax

HSC
with 30% on a class test in the last week of classes.
So there is a final exam, it's just not in the exam period. :) But yes the "weighted towards assignments" bit appeals to me too! I'm hoping this is not an overly demanding subject, so that I can concentrate on my other subjects... but it sounds interesting, should be fun. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)