German Continuers (1 Viewer)

jakobf

HSC
What did you guys reckon about the exam? Was it easier/harder than you expected? Did you think it was a fair paper?

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Agreed but concerned by the lack of difficulty and straightforwardness...

steph dalton

HSC
it was pretty much exactly the same as every other german exam ive done in the past 2 years... but i did get a bit worried about one of the lsitening texts: the cat and dog radio one was so weird i thought i hadn't understood it properly.

erica1512

HSC
yeah that cat and dog one was weird and i was a bit confused wiht what they were asking for i hte charity interview one
the comprhensions were good and so was the listening i got so confused inthe reading respdongin wqriting one i dont know why but like totaly lost it oh well

oh2sxc

HSC
wasn't it talking about how you can get a house pet babysitter which watches ur pet and organises ur house and shit and so the pet stays active and doesnt get lonely.. thats what i got out of it.

liverake88

HSC
i reckon the exam was a bit abstract in places. in all the trial papers ive seen and past HSC papers etc there arent usually such a large amount of high mark questions at the end of the listening. instead of having a few 1 mark q's at the start and a large mark at the end there were several 4/5 marks q's.

also the writing tasks were boring, after making continuers papers more and more difficult in comprehension style questions i think they could at least improve the standard of the things they ask us to write about. describe your best friend. honestly that kindergarten stuff!!

now for extension... :worried:

andy_wood

Shire resident
HSC
Wasn't too bad I thought...

The listening one with cats, dogs, pets etc. I think they were talking about playing soothing classical music to ur pets while ur away at work or wateva... It serves as a "free babysitter" in that it supposedly makes pets behave better while ur away. It benefits them cos they like it and it benefits the owners as they don't have to stress as much about their pets while their working and they don't come home to damaged furniture, shoes etc... Anyone else get that??

I agree with liverake88 in that the writing was uninspiring. I wrote a page of one and scrapped it and started again cos it was so boring. Still had 20min to revise tho! :) I thought the writing was my worst section.

Reading and responding part B was relatively easy! The french one was pretty hard apparently. My german teacher translated it for me so I used it for practice b4 german. Our question was much easier than I expectd. I rekn there'll be some entertaining answers in that section...

The listening did have lots of high mark questions and less low mark questions but I had been told that they are trying to go that way with the course. It benefits those who can grasp the entire concept of the question, rather than specific vocabulary or minor details.

megsy101

HSC
German was pretty much the same sort of thing i have done for the last 2 years. Being what i would call a medeoke German student i was quite happy with the way i went. Listening was quite random! The classical music program to babysit your pets is rather strange. We got a giggle when the example passage was read it was a piece from a past exam we had done and as a class we had picked it apart!Too bad it wasnt in the exam.....
The writing tasks were also fairly easy and the big mark questions will seperate the good from the not so good.
Overall...a good time had by all

liverake88

HSC
i mean by the high mark questions in the listening. eg in our trials we had a 7 and a 5 mark q. in the hsc there were 2 5's and a 4. i realise thats the way they are going. but i thought it was hard to get 5 marks worth of info down about the soup kitchen one. oh well. we all laughed when we heard about the guy who taped the movie. we had to explain it to the supervisors at the end. they didnt get it.

Amigu

HSC
Well I found it pretty easy. But I'm a native speaker lol.
The listening is the only one where I always fret a bit so I imagine it'd be extra hard for you guys.

The cat radio thing was about this:

Some radio channel now plays relaxing music for your pets while you're off at work. It's designed for city wellers who leave their pets in an apartement on their own and now they can come back home without having all their shit torn up by their anious catdog. The best part:it's free

My only muck up was that I wrote waaaay to much for one of the written responses. It was the one where you had to convince your friend -not- to pick up your hobby (wtf). Anyway I probably wrote about 300-400 hundred words rather than the 150 they asked for. Do you guys reckon that'll loose me any marks?

Sassy2600

HSC
liverake88 said:
i reckon the exam was a bit abstract in places. in all the trial papers ive seen and past HSC papers etc there arent usually such a large amount of high mark questions at the end of the listening. instead of having a few 1 mark q's at the start and a large mark at the end there were several 4/5 marks q's.

also the writing tasks were boring, after making continuers papers more and more difficult in comprehension style questions i think they could at least improve the standard of the things they ask us to write about. describe your best friend. honestly that kindergarten stuff!!

now for extension... :worried:
OLIVER!!!
yes writings were tres boring... esp reading responding... good luck with extension

andy_wood

Shire resident
HSC
Amigu said:
My only muck up was that I wrote waaaay to much for one of the written responses. It was the one where you had to convince your friend -not- to pick up your hobby (wtf). Anyway I probably wrote about 300-400 hundred words rather than the 150 they asked for. Do you guys reckon that'll loose me any marks?
Definitely won't lose u marks... You can write as much as you want as long as u can fit it into the time constraints. 100-150 words is just a guide.

I guess you're in the clear native!! :)

Did that question ask you to convince your friend NOT to take up your hobby????

liverake88

HSC
andy_wood said:
Did that question ask you to convince your friend NOT to take up your hobby????
If I had a dollar/DM/euro for everytime someone mentioned that.... sheesh

the question said: (i have the exam paper in front of me so don't debate it u arrogant students!)

You have recently taken up a hobby and a friend has expressed interest in doing the same. ("expressed intrest" wtf - its called 'wants to' u stupid german bos people) Write a persuasive letter to this friend indicated why he/she/it should or should not do this based on your experiences.

over and out

Carl_S

HSC
Although I don't actually do German Continuers, I was there at the time. At our Exam Centre in Canberra, there was a huge storm and the power was knocked out...They had to do most of the exam in the dark!

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
We were always told that the 100-150 words was a guide for the weaker students; a minimum. As with extension - 300 words for an essay?!
As long as there are very few mistakes I would say the more you can write the better. Especially if it's not repeating yourself because that is a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)