German Extension (1 Viewer)

yours

HSC
Hi! What did you think of the exam? Is Hermann Hermann a victim or a villain? How would Hedwig react to the TV-throwing-wig-debacle thing? What about the conversation script with Allan? And which essay question?

ngoetz

HSC
I thought it was a fair exam.
Hermann is a villain.
For the question on Hedwig's reaction, even though the question said "mixed emotions", I only discussed negative aspects but, so I might lose a mark there.
The script was fine, and essay I did the first one which I thought was quite reasonable.

yours

HSC
I thought it was a fair exam.
Hermann is a villain.
For the question on Hedwig's reaction, even though the question said "mixed emotions", I only discussed negative aspects but, so I might lose a mark there.
The script was fine, and essay I did the first one which I thought was quite reasonable.
what about the first question "Why does hermann hermann make this comment" when he says "you sang just like Marlene".
I said H,H was both a victim and a villain and Hedwig would understand Rose is trying to help her change her ways

ngoetz

HSC
what about the first question "Why does hermann hermann make this comment" when he says "you sang just like Marlene"
Cause she was all confused and stood there silent, not answering, so he tries to cover up the silence.

yours

HSC
Cause she was all confused and stood there silent, not answering, so he tries to cover up the silence.
that sounds right.. there was one more question??? i cant remember what was it (it was a 3 mark i remember)

ngoetz

HSC
How does the language of "come on, just try a little harder..." reflect Rosa's state of mind.

How did you go?

barny268

HSC
thought it was a great exam. did Qu 3 for essay and rest was fine. :)

ngoetz

HSC
thought it was a great exam. did Qu 3 for essay and rest was fine. :)
For the question, to what extent might this cause a mixed reaction, did you write anything positive?

And yeah, the exam was pretty chilled :) I think I might get 49 if all goes well.

yours

HSC
How does the language of "come on, just try a little harder..." reflect Rosa's state of mind.

How did you go?
hahaha I wrote about the 'use of the comma'... we'll see how that plays out... I wrote enough so I guess that's good. In the conversation with Allan I didn't know whether or not to tell him that my job was to be a security-prüfer because it's supposed to be secret (if everyone knew then the thieves would avoid her).. but I made it clear anyway saying 'I caught my victim' or stuff like that and being all macho in the bartender's face like "i'm a woman, what of it? Looks like I'm not so weak after all" because all the men are like "that's kein job für eine Lady" and so she says to Woody he's such a "neanderthal von Mann" and she's all rah rah emancipation and internally thinking screw you chauvinistic misogynist PIGS! lol
I let all hell loose!

Last edited:

ngoetz

HSC
hahaha I wrote about the 'use of the comma'... we'll see how that plays out... I wrote enough so I guess that's good. In the conversation with Allan I didn't know whether or not to tell him that my job was to be a security-prüfer because it's supposed to be secret (if everyone knew then the thieves would avoid her).. but I made it clear anyway saying 'I caught my victim' or stuff like that and being all macho in the bartender's face like "i'm a woman, what of it? Looks like I'm not so weak after all" because all the men are like "that's kein job für eine Lady" and so she says to Woody he's such a "neanderthal von Mann" and she's all rah rah emancipation and internally thinking screw you chauvinistic misogynist PIGS! lol
I let all hell loose!
haha nah I acted like Allan was my BFF and told him all about how I caught that creepy old guy :p

SpanishMoss

HSC
The essay questions were almost exactly the same as the ones we had in our trial :)

I said something like Herman was both a victim and a villain, one because of his treatment of Rosa and the other contestants and staff, but he is also a victim in the sense that he is trying to "cope with the changes" of getting old and accepting his faded stardom and old apperance "his toupe and fake tan and gold teeth" - "the pressure the media have put on him to look good and act on screen vs his actual perosnality - ie he is a fake", so all in all similar to Hedwig and Rosa; thereby all of them are facing similar challanges which they have to accept, soooo the responder feels a sense of sympathy towards his regardless.

Sophia H

HSC
I said that Hermann was a villain, because his role throughout the story is to provide an antithesis to Rose (in terms of his falseness, lack of empathy, and inability to come to terms with his own aging), thereby emphasising the positiveness of what she represents. -shrugs-

As to the question about why he said she was exactly like Marlene, I said it was a backhanded reference to Rose's lack of femininity, because Marlene Dietrich was famously very androgynous. I also said the high modality (wirklich ganz genau) was in keeping with his larger-than-life image as a game show moderator.

For the Rose/Hedwig question I thought that on one hand she'd be touched to realise how Rose went through it all for her, in the hope that they'd be able to have TV-less quality time like they used to, but that she'd also be upset that Rose deliberately destroyed one of the few illusions in her life which bring her pleasure.

I struggled with the part B task. I just can't get into either character's syntax. In the end I showed the Lady's emotions mainly through stage directions... I had my Allan continuously make patronising, sexist comments and in the end the Lady threw her sandwich into his face and stormed out of the bar. :)

ngoetz

HSC
As to the question about why he said she was exactly like Marlene, I said it was a backhanded reference to Rose's lack of femininity, because Marlene Dietrich was famously very androgynous. I also said the high modality (wirklich ganz genau) was in keeping with his larger-than-life image as a game show moderator.
hmm, that is an interesting point, but I really had the impression that it was just to drown out the silence that had gotten "unbearable". It even says something along the lines of him drowning out the silence with "gekonntem Gelaber".

For the Rose/Hedwig question I thought that on one hand she'd be touched to realise how Rose went through it all for her, in the hope that they'd be able to have TV-less quality time like they used to, but that she'd also be upset that Rose deliberately destroyed one of the few illusions in her life which bring her pleasure.
yeah thats probably good, I messed up and didnt do any positive aspect :S My teacher afterwards said it could also have been something like "omg shes talking to me through the tv"

I struggled with the part B task. I just can't get into either character's syntax. In the end I showed the Lady's emotions mainly through stage directions... I had my Allan continuously make patronising, sexist comments and in the end the Lady threw her sandwich into his face and stormed out of the bar. :)
haha well that sounds good :)

yours

HSC
Yes I thought it was very unnatural for Lady to be having a conversation with Allan at all, seeing as she's so reticent and jaded/bitter in the story. It isn't in her character to waltz up to a patronising man and tell him all her thoughts, seeing as she seems to curse everyone she meets under her breath: to the Gentlemen she refuses to speak (initially), Allan she wants to punch in the 'moon'face, ladies in the store "zickige Weiber"... She isn't very friendly.

Last edited:

ngoetz

HSC
Yes I thought it was very unnatural for Lady to be having a conversation with Allan at all, seeing as she's so reticent and jaded/bitter in the story. It isn't in her character to waltz up to a patronising man and tell him all her thoughts, seeing as she seems to curse everyone she meets under her breath: to the Gentlemen she refuses to speak (initially), Allan she wants to punch in the 'moon'face, ladies in the store "zickige Weiber"... She isn't very friendly.
haha yeah the quote tried to insinuate that it was all because she had had "ERFOLGE" but really she just seems like a bitch :p

ngoetz

HSC
By the way Sophia, regarding Allans sexist comments, in German there is actually an alliteration "Kinder, Kueche, Kirche" that was a quite popular slogan in the early 20th century in German :p

Sophia H

HSC
By the way Sophia, regarding Allans sexist comments, in German there is actually an alliteration "Kinder, Kueche, Kirche" that was a quite popular slogan in the early 20th century in German :p
Damn. Wish I'd known that BEFORE the exam. :p Must pay to be a native speaker for gems of cultural idioms like that!

lucyc19

HSC
They spelt 'Rose' as 'Rosa' the whole way through. Don't they even check their spelling?
And I thought that including two 5-mark questions was lazy, but it plays to my strengths so I can't complain.
How many extra writing booklets did you guys use for those questions?

lucyc19

HSC
Well that was a slogan in Nazi propaganda so, if they know their German history, they will not be happy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)