Germany Half Yearly Question (1 Viewer)

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Hey guys, I just finished my half yearly for modern and wanted some advice on question I chose from the national studies section

Evaluate the success of Germany in creating a democratic republice by 1929.

What would you talk about in this question?

Thanks in advance

steph06

HSC
hey,
i would split it up into 4 sections constitution, domestic, political and international. talk about what problems they faced in each area and how they overcame it for a period of relative stability in the golden age

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Yeah, thats sort of how i did it

Emergence of the republic after the war

The Weimar Constitution (Article 48)

Threats from leftists and right extremists

Repecussions of issues (social and economic) and how this impeded the creation of a democratic republic

Stresemann Years - Stability (1924-1929)

Finally ended with Depression and accession of Hitler to power. (Very Briefly though)

Last edited:

hangerm5

HSC
These are the areas that i would have commented upon as well, i dont think you should be worried, provided you covered these topics with as much detail and information is possible in such a short space of time i think you will find you have answered the question very well.

I just loved this unit!

Last edited:

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
hangerm5 said:
These are the areas that i would have commented upon as well, i dont think you should be worried, provided you covered these topics with as much detail and information is possible in such a short space of time i think you will find you have answered the question very well.

I just loved this unit!
You serious, I enjoy learning about pre Nazi and Nazi Germany, but there is too much to remember.

Anyways, thankyou for the feedback hangman5 and previous repliers.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Do Germany type questions tend to be based around the failure of the republic?

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Usually they chose one factor that contributed to the collapse of Republic.

E.g Assess the view that the collapse of the Weimar Republic was due to economic factors.

Thats the second question I answered in the half-yearly modern history exam.

Last edited:

hangerm5

HSC
The questions for Germany tend to relate in a general sought of way to the failure of the republic and the conditions under which Hitler was able to seize power. There are two main lines of thoughts on this, one that the republic was structurally doomed to fail and the other that a series of events led to the downfall of Germany democracy. From memory I argued that the republic had structural weakness which made it succeptible and highly senstitive to the other factors that began to affect the course of history.

As a rule it will be very helpful if you form a strong opinion on this area of the course because a broad knowledge here will make it easy to apply this to the question they ask, which as has already been mentioned will relate to a more specific aspect of the course. For example last years HSC asked about the impact of the elites on the outcome of the republic (or something like this). Because i had formed a clear set of ideas about what led to the collapse of democracy i was able to shape the question to fit my answer, if that makes sense....

Sorry to rabit on...I hope this is helpful in some vague sort of way.
Hope all goes well for everyones half yearlys.

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
hangerm5 said:
The questions for Germany tend to relate in a general sought of way to the failure of the republic and the conditions under which Hitler was able to seize power. There are two main lines of thoughts on this, one that the republic was structurally doomed to fail and the other that a series of events led to the downfall of Germany democracy. From memory I argued that the republic had structural weakness which made it succeptible and highly senstitive to the other factors that began to affect the course of history.

As a rule it will be very helpful if you form a strong opinion on this area of the course because a broad knowledge here will make it easy to apply this to the question they ask, which as has already been mentioned will relate to a more specific aspect of the course. For example last years HSC asked about the impact of the elites on the outcome of the republic (or something like this). Because i had formed a clear set of ideas about what led to the collapse of democracy i was able to shape the question to fit my answer, if that makes sense....

Sorry to rabit on...I hope this is helpful in some vague sort of way.
Hope all goes well for everyones half yearlys.
You got it all

By the way would you have any notes on the Collapse of the Weimar Republic

And btw were elites people like the army and industrialists

hangerm5

HSC
Yes the elites are the army, industrialists (junkers), business people etc. Also you can discuss Hindenburgs role-surely it cant have been good for democracy to have a head of state who believed in germany's militaristic past and was a devout supporter of the kaiser, especially given his age and frail health, he didnt have the strength to separate these ideas and the best outcome for Germany (which he said he would do despite his opposition to the republic). You also should consider the role of Hindenburgs deputies, the men who acted as vice chancellor in the years leading up to Hitlers appointment. There is some arguement that can be made they acted largely out of self interest and were motivated by personal feelings rather than political and social considerations...I am sorry i cant be more specific right now, my mind is focussed upon a different area and its hard to grab this info off the top of my head.

As for notes, i have quite a few and they are scattered over many places...I am have them all at my parents house. I will be home for a week or so over easter so I will have a look and see if there is anything really helpful that i can summarise and pass on to you.

Just for fun i would recomend you look at the lyrics for the song "Springtime for Hitler" from the Mel Brookes musical The Producers. Obviously this is tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously but in a very vague and flippant sort of way it is on the right track...."It wasnt always so easy. Hindenburg was working the big room and i was playing the lounge. Then I got my break. Somebody burned down the Reichstag and they made me Chancellor!!!" sings Adolf....have a look-the whole song is a summary of the rise of hitler and beginnings of WW2....

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Thanks heaps for the advice, hopefullly this song could revitalise my interest in Nazi Germany.

biggie walls

HSC
Bahh!!! I Just Realised In My Essay I Said I Supported The Structuralist View When I Really Argued For A Determinist View!!! Man Im An Iiiiiiiiidiot... Ohwell Only Worth 10% :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)