Germany - Role of Conservatives and Elites (1 Viewer)

minnie3

HSC
I have no clue what the role and influence of conservatives and elites were on Weimar- ive tried looking through text books and study guides and just dont understand it.

Can someone help me!!! thanks

n@ttyb

HSC
Yeh.. thats come up in a test before and i have no idea really
I guess its about them not giving democ/weimar legitamacy and stuff like that. ??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I seriously can barely remember anything from Modern cos I did my HSC in 2004 but I think it might be useful if you look through texts and watch out for words like "the civil service". That might help but I don't have any textbook with me so, sorry.

Ebatchelor

HSC
minnie3 said:
I have no clue what the role and influence of conservatives and elites were on Weimar- ive tried looking through text books and study guides and just dont understand it.

Can someone help me!!! thanks
hey did u ever get anywereh with this? coz we have the same question and i am struggling. The only thing i can gleam at the moment is that that were in support of Hitler, even though the middle classes were too (coz he was so charitable) in his elections the biggest percentage was the elite.
this was the question for the 2005 HSC so see if u can get ur hands on one of those sample asnwer books coz it has two gd repsonses in there
which are still a little lost on me

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
In 1925 Hinderburg was elected President. Hindenburg appointed Heinrich Bruning as chancellor. Under Bruning, the unemployment rate rose from 2 258 000 in March 1930 to 6 031 000 in March 1932. Heinrichs' first priority was to end the reparations. (Treaty of Versailles). Bruning prepared to contemplate high levels of unemployment and the impoverishment of large sections of the population due to the world depression.

In Sept 1930, new elections catapulted the Nazis into prominance. They rose from 12 seats to 107 which made them the second largest party.

Brunings downfall came in May 1932. Hinderburgs conservative, anti-republican friends believed that Bruning had not moved the Government sufficiently far enough to the right.

France Von Papen replaced Bruning as chancellor. Schleicher was confident that Papen could be manipulated. When Papen proved too independent, Schleicher underminded him.

In March 1932 Hindenburg was re-elected as president. The NSDAP gained 230 seats in the Reichstag. The Nazi's + Communist (enemies) now had control of 52% of the Reichstag. The Weimar Republic was now dead.

On December 1932, Hindenburg appointed Schleicher as chancellor. Schleicher was unable to gain a majority in the Reichstag.

Many people turned to the Nazi's in the hope that they would prevent a communist take over.

The 'Old Right' had its own plans for doing away with democracy + returning to some form of authotarian government. The general idea of how to do this was to make use of the popularity of the Nazi's + manipulate Hitler. Schleider had badly miscalculated.

Hitler told Schleider either the Nazi's would enter the Government with him as chancellor or they wouldn't enter it at all. Hitler was supported in his ambition by Von Papen who was out for revenge against Schleider.

Hitler became chancellor on 30th January 1933. He had behind him an active and enthusiastic party that was united in its acceptance of his leadership, and a paramilitary organisation numbering hundreds of thousands. He had come to power legally, as he said he would, yet he had never been able to secure a majority of votes in the electorate or seats in the Reichstag. He was only successful because the old elites of land, industry and the army were determined to replace the Weimar decomcracy with an authotarian system. Their intrigues, especially since 1930, had opened the door. Hitler now stepped boldy through it.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)