Get into UNSW Engineering with an ATAR of low 80s? (1 Viewer)

Gamerson

HSC
I know people say that most Engineering courses are in the 80s but if i do get low 80s is their a chance of getting into Engineering say Civil Engineering with the interview... Especially since I don't do any sciences and I only do Adv. Maths....

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
FEAS interview + HSC plus points = good chance you'll still be able to make it.

but i think people who've reached/surpassed the cutoff and applied for engineering might get higher priority, *not 100% sure on this though*.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
my brother got in with an 83.45

whether he got in with the interview or bonus marks.. i don't know

but yer, chances are you can still get in

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i know *someone* who got into mechanical engineering @ unsw with a 72.15 uai (the cutoff that year was 88), he applied for the EAS, FEAS interview, and would've got some bonus points from the HSC plus scheme.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
engineering isnt easy

chances are if you suck at maths + hsc or whatever, you'll fail maths in uni

Gamerson

HSC
Wow... sounds like I actually have a chance... But will they overlook the NO SCIENCES... or will it stick out kill my chance?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
umm if u look at the hsc plus points point allocation table (UNSW HSC Plus 2010) then you'll see they give points for physics (as well as 2u/3u/4u math). if you dont do sciences, they may ask you in ur interview why u arent doing sciences if you wanna do engineering, but first year uni physics is VERY different to highschool physics (make sure you're good at math), and materials/chem they teach you from scratch (i did chem in hsc so i found materials/chem very easy/bludgy, because they literally teach it from scratch).

i wouldnt say not doing sciences would kill ur chances much.

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
just make sure in your interview that you show you have a big interest and are very commited to studying engineering and doing your best.

and be very good at math.

(if you are applying for FEAS, and i'd recommend you do so)

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
Yeah don't worry dude, I have a few friends that got low 80s and only did adv maths, and they still got into civil and aeronautical. So you're in with a good chance. Make sure you apply for FEAS, and you're set.

Gamerson

HSC
k thanks guys... Don't know what I'd do without BOS can't seem to find answers anywhere else..

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
it always intrigues me why people aim for engineering yet don't do any sciences/high level math..

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
you dont have to, but maths, bridging course would be required if you've only done 2u maths in highschool (as was the case with me)

ar7

HSC
what if OP cant identify what unit force is measured in?

barsa

HSC
i'm a little confused myself
i'm doing physics, xt maths, maths, std english, bio, eco and legal
but i wanna do civil eng but i suck in physics and my xt maths is kinda average
so i think i might be getting an atar of 70 :(

but i dnt kno if i'll get into civil eng, and i dnt wanna go to woolongong or newcastle or uni's like tht, preferably uts, unsw plzzz help and giv suggestions :sun:
btw in the interviews wat kinda stuf would they ask??

ar7

HSC

but i dnt kno if i'll get into civil eng, and i dnt wanna go to woolongong or newcastle or uni's like tht, preferably uts, unsw plzzz help and giv suggestions :sun:
you sound awfully ignorant. woolongong's engineering faculty is quite strong to be honest. same with newcastle. if your simply hoping to go to unsw because 'its got the highest atar', or its relatively high global ranking or for the prestige, then thats your choice. just know, no matter what uni you get your degree from, it will never define how good an engineer you become. however, feel free to be blinded by the stereotypes floating around:tongue:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

yeah you are kinda ignorant.

uow isnt bad just because they have lower cutoffs, they have very good links with industries, and they had the highest graduate employment rate of 2006 (iirc) and the highest average graduate starting salaries (for mechanical engineering).
(only problem is that its all the way in wollongong, but if you live near it then there's no reason to disregard it.)

no one's gonna care what university you went to, a degree is a degree, the difference is the industry links and the internship experience.
I think uow and unsw have the same amount of required internship (3 or so months), while uts has a compulsory 6 months, so in terms of that, uts is better.
just find out more about the different uni's, compare their engineering faculties, and come to an educated decision about where you wanna attend :)

as for the FEAS interview, http://community.boredofstudies.org/5107901/post-5.html
i cant remember anymore, my FEAS interview was 4 years ago lol.

barsa

HSC
yeah you are kinda ignorant.

uow isnt bad just because they have lower cutoffs, they have very good links with industries, and they had the highest graduate employment rate of 2006 (iirc) and the highest average graduate starting salaries (for mechanical engineering).
(only problem is that its all the way in wollongong, but if you live near it then there's no reason to disregard it.)

no one's gonna care what university you went to, a degree is a degree, the difference is the industry links and the internship experience.
I think uow and unsw have the same amount of required internship (3 or so months), while uts has a compulsory 6 months, so in terms of that, uts is better.
just find out more about the different uni's, compare their engineering faculties, and come to an educated decision about where you wanna attend :)

as for the FEAS interview, http://community.boredofstudies.org/5107901/post-5.html
i cant remember anymore, my FEAS interview was 4 years ago lol.
lol thnx guys! actly now tht i think about it, i do sound a little ignorant ay!
but hey u cant really blame me for wanting to go to a uni thts well known, considering i have indian parents! actly they want me to go there so tht 'people wont talk'
hehehe anyways guys thnk u for ur help :) really appriciate it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)