• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Get My GP group Motivated. (1 Viewer)

KasierRuby

HSC
I always have been a hard worker when it comes to Drama. I also like to do almost what ever it would take for a performance to succeed (Weekend Rehearsals, Studying past actors ect.) I’ve been dreaming about this performance for years and now its hear my circumstances are a little undesirable. I am in a Group with three other girls. They are nothing like me in the sense of determination and motivation as well as a little behind in experience. They are great people in their own right and they could all easily bring things to the group which would make us unique and special. However my group is to lazy. I mean they don’t want to try improvisation or any activities to further our ideas and are convinced we are only competing against the other group in my school. WRONG. We are competing against all other groups from NSW! They also like discussing our ideas with other people and enemy group members. ITS DRIVING CRAZY. It’s like they are practically inviting our competitors to steal our ideas or guess were we are up to with out performance. My Question is how can I get my group motivated? I also understand that i may not be on the same social ladder as them yet things like that should not matter in drama. Can I use Psychology or something similar? I need to convince them to start working and soon. I want to see what we can all create together over time peacefully instead of creating something at the last minute and earning little marks. I know my group can be great I just really need to find a way to get them motivated. Any ideas? Thankyou

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
KasierRuby said:
I always have been a hard worker when it comes to Drama. I also like to do almost what ever it would take for a performance to succeed (Weekend Rehearsals, Studying past actors ect.) I’ve been dreaming about this performance for years and now its hear my circumstances are a little undesirable. I am in a Group with three other girls. They are nothing like me in the sense of determination and motivation as well as a little behind in experience. They are great people in their own right and they could all easily bring things to the group which would make us unique and special. However my group is to lazy. I mean they don’t want to try improvisation or any activities to further our ideas and are convinced we are only competing against the other group in my school. WRONG. We are competing against all other groups from NSW! They also like discussing our ideas with other people and enemy group members. ITS DRIVING CRAZY. It’s like they are practically inviting our competitors to steal our ideas or guess were we are up to with out performance. My Question is how can I get my group motivated? I also understand that i may not be on the same social ladder as them yet things like that should not matter in drama. Can I use Psychology or something similar? I need to convince them to start working and soon. I want to see what we can all create together over time peacefully instead of creating something at the last minute and earning little marks. I know my group can be great I just really need to find a way to get them motivated. Any ideas? Thankyou
I understand your situation as I was placed in that unfortunate position several times. However, I shall not account my stories as they are irrelevant.

Well, the best advice I can give you is to consult with teachers, however, that best advice is definitely the last resort. First, you should constantly mention to your mates how important this group assessment is. I do not think psychological approach will be useful to those who have lack of care towards their assessments. Show them that you are working hard and make them know that you are the one who does all the work. Teacher should also know that you are the only one doing work. If you are the one who is working, all the recognition will go to you (even if we don't want that). After that, form a boundary & assign a work. However, you should be the one who does the most work as your team mates won't be satisfied if they think they have got more work than you. I know that it is very unfair to you but that's the only way you can convince them to work.

I am quite bossy when it comes to group work but everyone appreciates that since I do all the works. They only want good marks. They don't care if I am bossy or not. I am sorry if I provided you with crap advices, however, that's the only way that works for me.

KasierRuby

HSC
No thats really good advice, i like the sound of it and it also appears you gave been in a similar situation many times so your the person i would deffintely ask on that matter. It sounds like you use guilt, guilt is a good tool. I just wish they would get more into it thought but im runninf out of options

Kiim2507

HSC
Aww I feel for you
Like the above poster said, the best thing to do would be gather your group and explain all the things you said in your first post - your competing against everyone in the state, it's not a good idea to share your ideas in case another group does somethnig similar etctec
If that doesn't work sit down one to one with your teacher and explain the situation. See if they have any advice but if not get them to speak to the students individually.

Basically I think you've just gotta take on a leadership position to get everyone moving. Organise an after school/weekend session and just try get them to focus.

Good luck!

HSC
OMG that sounds familiar. That is EXACTLY the same position I am in- three unmotivated girls in my group, dont want to reherse outside out school, etc, etc. We also have a really unmotivated teacher which doesnt help in the slightest.
SO GLAD i am not the only one struggling with my group! I am going to take a more threatening approach though :p Like 'Well I have enough units to drop drama completely, and that is exactly what I am prepared to do if you guys dont pull you weight!'
Fingers crossed it will work tomorrow when I chat to them!

sam1915945

HSC
i sort of hav the same problem as you with the improvisation part though....my groups into getting everything out on paper which is fine but then we get stuck and they just sit there waiting for the answer to hit them. to get your group motivated hhmmm it's a hard thing to do, do they kno that impro is fun and creative? as for the talking with other groups, we do that at my school to but our groups are so competitive that we don't copy the ideas of others, we adapt them and make them different....i wouldn't worry about the other groups so much. your girls sound as though they don't have there heart in it, our drama teacher has marked the hsc a couple of times and told us about one group. someone didn't pull there weight and it was obvious by their journal....the person in question ended up being a dead body on the floor for the whole performance. whatever you do don't try personal threats....it may incourage them to be more lazy.
keep on trying though, you'll get there soon and i think the first person's post is very good advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)