Get started? (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

By this time last year, I hadn't started. In fact, I was still on my awful original idea, and had a proposal to write.

S

Sheehan :)

i hav started an given to my teach............shes gonna get back to me...........i hope.......lol

Manan

HSC
Hey Guys,

I've only really began brainstorming ideas and getting down a few random thoughts- in order words- the so called "journal".

If you've started the journal, how many pages have you got....is everyone finding the journal process as boring as I am???

Last edited:

seeka_train

HSC
Yeah~ I've never actually been a journal keeping person so i'm having trouble trying to keep a record of all the things i've been doing -_-" but hopefully i'll feel guilty and ... fill it up?

I've only got approx 10 pages... but mostly just print outs :p... lol~ what do you guys put into your journals?

co+ca

i hardly did anything in my journal till about 2 weeks before the due date. then i just printed out my story at several different stages and wrote a few pages about my 'feelings' and stuff. i backdated the whole thing as well, so it looks like id been working steadily all year.

the shitty thing is, you get so stressed out about your journal being perfect, and they will only read it if they think your work isnt your own. so if u have an original story, they probably wont even look at it.

but that said, it did actually help me at the beginning when i was all enthusiastic, and at the end when i was having motivational problems. it forced me to get off my ass and do something!

Manan

HSC
The journal does keep you on track but it takes a heap of work. You have to do all this stuff and in the end it might not even be looked at-that doesn't seem sane to me....:)

Just to answer a previous question-basically I put articles and "inspirational" material in the journal, as well as Net printouts-which are very handy and make the journal look thick:) Sometimes there's a few words about my "progress" or, here's a good word, my JOURNEY in Ext 2

Also, do you guys realise you have to keep a bibliography of basically all your materials-its probably best to start that as soon as possible....wonderful:)

Last edited:
J

jhakka

I just put a bibliography at the end of my journal.

Just write about your progress and any work you've done. I don't see the need for all the detail.

Throwing a draft or two in there helps as well.

HSC
N/A
I had absolutely no format to my journal. I just stuck - wrong, STICKYTAPED a whole lot of stuff in there. If the markers want to dig around in there, it's their problem. Although I do have a very funny "thank you" list that my friend says sounds like an Academy Awards speech. It thanks everyone from my dogs (for keeping my feet warm) to Kelly Clarkson (for the beautiful mood music).

What was i doing this time last year... yes. I was bludging because I didn't know what to do. I could think of lots of semi-interesting story ideas on the spot but none of them felt like the "right" one that I could develop for an entire year.

Stress less, just keep an open mind. Most people will change their initial concept. :)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I have one page in my journal, along with a second paged named "Characters" and just blank space after that. I'm still trying to figure out my plot...the word limit is stressing me out. I also have a proposal due soon. Yay for me!

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Wow, people had gotten started so early!

We didnt know if there was going to be a extension 2 class in my school or not, and if yes, who would be taking it. So i didnt get started on ext2 till about week 9 term 4 *Shock HorroR!

And even then i faked journal entries. I actually found it useless. The only value i had in it, was i felt uncomfortable when it wasnt beside me, even though i never touched it. I guess having it there helped anull any guilt i felt. LOL!

horace walpole

HSC
lessons learnt

I screwed my prelim. minor because I didn't keep a journal, etc....

But its cool, I diodn't have any ideas until the other day when I read writers showcase 2002. But being at a private school I think, well know that teachers push you over the edge with work, bla, bla, bla.

I've already got about five pages of written work in my journal, its actually a good place to start. Just blab about poor ideas until they begin to develope-thats what I did.

RESEARCH!!!!! My teacher whom believes himself to be the reincarnation of Shakespeare didn't tell me that was a great place to start. start there! just whatever your thinking of doing - like short story(ing)-research structure, genre, all that crap, techniques etc.....

J

jhakka

Genre is a good place to start. I think it's just as or more important than form.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the teacher let us take home some of the previous hscérs journals and proposals,
some of them are really intimidating at 580 pages

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Your journal does not have to follow a prescribed order. It is for your thoughts and ideas, as many, or as few as you may have. As long as it someway shows your PROCESS as a writer, you will not have a problem. Stick your reasearch in it - cut outs, photocopies, etc. I put in all the images which inspired passages in my major work. I also used it to thresh out my ideas. I would sometimes just talk onto the page, or othertimes I would analyse my research. Its a good idea to stick all your drafts in their as well. Keep your own drafts! Don't give them to the teacher for safekeeping! I had done tonnes of drafts and then my teacher lost them in the English Staffroom. The journal is not marked, but it may be used to establish the authenticity of your work, or if the markers don't understand your concept wholly.

seeka_train

HSC
What type of book are you using as a journal? is there any particular one you should use? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)