Gettin a band 6 in maths :( (1 Viewer)

username

HSC
I got 66% in that test does anyone know what that would scale to?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
username said:
I got 66% in that test does anyone know what that would scale to?
We only have limited data, but last year 73/120 would have gotten you 82 aligned, but as tests differ in difficulty, and last years was a difficult test, it's anyones guess whether similar figures will occur this year.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i seem to be reading around that maths is out of 120. how come maths is out of 120? i dont understand....isnt everything out of 100?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
English is out of 105, ext 1 maths is out of 84, it differs depending on the subject.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
really? oh wait, is this like the exam? or is it the actual subject? is that how the aligning/moderating/scaling thingy works? (yes i know theyre all different things but its all too confusing to comprehend so leave me in my ignorance)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The exams differ, but all 2u courses are aligned to a mark out of 100, and all 1u courses are aligned to a mark out of 50.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
no i know that bit....ah dont worry trying to explain the rest, lol

smallcattle

HSC
2u Maths is out of 120 because there are 10 questions and each question worth 12 marks :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
Most of it was pretty straight forward, except for parts of that interest rates question and parts of the rope question.
I tried that 2003 HSC paper since my teacher gave it to me to do over the holidays (amongst around 20 other papers). I lost 2 marks on the very last question + a couple of careless errors. Both of the last two parts of Q10 were worth 2 marks, but the very last part required about 3 times as much working. :confused:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
That last question is a real killer. One teeny mistake while finding dy/dx, stuffs everything up ARGH

Rench: Did u do it in the time limit though?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
laz once posted what the b6 cut off was for 2001 (i think it was that year) and it was 96/120=80%. quite doable

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
laz once posted what the b6 cut off was for 2001 (i think it was that year) and it was 96/120=80%. quite doable
Indeed it is, and should not be by any means unattainable for a diligent 3u student, or indeed a good 2u student.

mishka

HSC
N/A
really???? 96/120? i thought it would have been way higher than that! that explains the expectations then... :) i got 104/120 in the 2u trial, and i was happy, but i really thought a band 6 cut off would be higher

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sarah168 said:
That last question is a real killer. One teeny mistake while finding dy/dx, stuffs everything up ARGH

Rench: Did u do it in the time limit though?
Yea.
I do most practice trials and HSC papers under the time limit, coz they seem to be most effective when you do them in the time that they were intended to be done in.
I managed to finish it in time, but I made a couple of silly mistakes. But then also, doing it at home is much more "relaxed" (if you can call it that) than doing it in the exam room. So I probably would've made a few more mistakes than I did at home.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Yea.
I do most practice trials and HSC papers under the time limit, coz they seem to be most effective when you do them in the time that they were intended to be done in.
I managed to finish it in time, but I made a couple of silly mistakes. But then also, doing it at home is much more "relaxed" (if you can call it that) than doing it in the exam room. So I probably would've made a few more mistakes than I did at home.
pfft, i do better in exams than at home because under stress conditions you're forced to do the question, also with the words "GET 100 you DUMB SHIT" popping up in your head, you feel more inclined to do the quesiton :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Li0n said:
pfft, i do better in exams than at home because under stress conditions you're forced to do the question, also with the words "GET 100 you DUMB SHIT" popping up in your head, you feel more inclined to do the quesiton :)
You're the type who does well under pressure (if that's what you can call it). I'm not really that type of person. But I guess exam conditions do force you to answer questions, but then again you have to get the right answer which is the hard part.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Li0n said:
As do I. At home, I sit down to do questions, and do say, 3 of 20 and think "bah. sick of this." and go on to another exercsie with different questions.

In exams I just have to do each damn one.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
i went to a 3u lecture a few montsh ago with the head maths marker of nsw (a girl!) and she said that raw in 3u this year will probably be around low 60's out of 84 for the band 6. In 2u i'd estimate mid 90's

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
skypryn said:
i went to a 3u lecture a few montsh ago with the head maths marker of nsw (a girl!) and she said that raw in 3u this year will probably be around low 60's out of 84 for the band 6. In 2u i'd estimate mid 90's
How would she be able to make a judgement like that? Unless she set the exam, then she wouldn't be able to make such an estimate. But I guess she'd only be making estimates based on previous years.

*Hopefully it will be 55-63ish for Band 6 though.

J

jhakka

I'm hoping the 2003 paper was just a freak thing, because I heard that no one at my school finished it. Looking over it, though, most of it wasn't that hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)