Getting 90+ UAI (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, I need a little reassurance about my HSC. At the moment I do 12 units, and i go to a school that was ranks about 160ish in the state. I'm a bit worried about my marks and ranks, as they arent what I expected at all, and I really want to get 9x.xx.

So far my results-
Adv English - 83% - 18/70
Maths Ext 1 - 72% - 10/15
Maths Ext 2 - 65% - 2/4
Chemistry - 69% - 13/17 (ouch)
Economics - 84% - 3/11
Biology - 82% - 14/42

(Weve done aprox 40% of assessments for each subject)

I just want to know my realistic concerns of getting 90+, but im just worried about how Im going, as my school exams are probably easier, and that my ranks arent too flash.

McSo

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
Hey guys, I need a little reassurance about my HSC. At the moment I do 12 units, and i go to a school that was ranks about 160ish in the state. I'm a bit worried about my marks and ranks, as they arent what I expected at all, and I really want to get 9x.xx.

So far my results-
Adv English - 83% - 18/70
Maths Ext 1 - 72% - 10/15
Maths Ext 2 - 65% - 2/4
Chemistry - 69% - 13/17 (ouch)
Economics - 84% - 3/11
Biology - 82% - 14/42

(Weve done aprox 40% of assessments for each subject)

I just want to know my realistic concerns of getting 90+, but im just worried about how Im going, as my school exams are probably easier, and that my ranks arent too flash.
Are those marks scaled or unscaled? If you'v done approximately 40% of your assessments, its really 20% overall, if that makes you feel any better, so you have another 80% of assessments to work with... Your Goal of 9x.xx uai seems achievable with the subjects you are doing... I've been checking out the SAM thing and I do all those subjects except IPT and Physics instead of Economics and Biology and if I got all 80's it predicted about 92 UAI, but then again it it said it won't reflect as accurately with School Marks or some shit... Also, that 92 will probably go down to 90 I guess... the UAI always drops down every year..

McSo

HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
They are unscaled....or raw marks whatever the term is these days.
So then towards the end of the year, I'm guessing they'll scale your marks up... That's what they do with our school - Highest mark gets scaled to 100% (bar a few subjects) and the rest are scaled accordingly.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
McSo said:
So then towards the end of the year, I'm guessing they'll scale your marks up... That's what they do with our school - Highest mark gets scaled to 100% (bar a few subjects) and the rest are scaled accordingly.

umm... no, that's wrong.... the board of studies won't scale 1st place to 100

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
well then its stupid, cos even if ur school does give people an assessment mark of 100... the board of studies will scale it down.. ALOT

lala2

Banned
HSC
Your external marks as a cohort determines the assessment mark alignment. If the top external mark was 70, then the top ranked person would get 70 as their assessment mark, and retain whatever their exam mark was. Just because you're top-ranked does not mean you are assumed to get a 100. That's the purpose of the externals.

We are talking about aligning of marks here, rather than scaling of individual subjects which determines your UAI. If you motivate yourself and your peers to study hard for the externals (which may seem far off but remember that you will only have this term and the trials left before the externals), you all will do well as a cohort. It always helps to have good teachers, but ultimately you and your cohort are sitting the exam, not your teachers, so self-motivation is the key.

Realistically, I hope this isn't too hard to achieve--you seem to have a pretty small school, as opposed to my grade of about 220 where there were some really top people, a lot of middlers, like me, and a heap of slackers down the bottom whom you don't really associate with, and can't motivate anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)