getting a job... (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok looking around this forum i can't get over the amount of people that are like "omg... that can't be the minimum wage/award wage, that's just not enough!" i don't want to be rude guys, but if you're young and don't have much (or any experience) it's pretty hard to get a job anywhere other than retail jobs (anything from maccas to myer) and because you are young they don't pay a lot either... if you have no experience and are still at school/uni it's pretty unlikely that you are going to get a job that pays anywhere near what some people think they should be getting... at this age it's better to get experience so you can move onto something else when you are older
hey i'm 19, working full time and i'm on $14.50 an hour... it's not the best pay but i'm getting good training and i like where i work (well i have up until lately but that's a different story)
truth is - for a 16/17 year old you aren't going to get much more than maybe $7 or $8 at the kind of places that will take you... but how much better do you feel when you can pay for some things yourself and not rely as heavily on parents, and the experience is all good...

is a roflcopter
HSC
some of the pay is really shithouse compared to the amount of work
like boost juice's jackall payrates compared to something like tutoring

J

jhakka

I liked getting money. That's the only thing that made working back late worth it.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
I started work when I was 16, and I was living by myself in a unit. I used to get really pi$$ed off about getting half the pay that everyone else was getting, but when I went to do the groceries ON A BUS, did Coles say "You're young, you only have to pay 1/2 for the groceries". When I got my bills in the mail, did they have a "young persons discount"? NO. No!

I had to pay what all the "adults" were paying, with 1/2 the money ..and on top of all that, I was getting 1/2 the respect in the workplace. That set me off on a path of "no respect = cya later"!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
jezzmo said:
ballerinabarbie, $14.50 pizza hut wage? thats really good. What job grade are you ?

19 year old supervisors at the call centre (grade2) only get around $11 (grade5 csr's get around $9.50ish), and we're supposed to be on the same wage structure as all pizza hut/yum! employees!
i'm not on the award rate though - i'm on a contract because i'm full time - so that makes it different.... i'm not saying that my pay is bad - it could be much worse... but i could be working full time at say a bar or something and be on nearly $20...

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
hey, you know how there are office jobs for school leavers, how much do you reckon they'd pay per hour/per annum? I applied for a job that pays $21000 plus super per annum.
I'm getting $18 / hour (37.5 hr week) which is about $35k per annum excluding super and working for leading financial institution providing good training and experience for the future.

BEAT THAT! : - D

When you say $21k + super (does that mean $21 includes superannuation?) or $21k + superannuation.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i'm not on the award rate though - i'm on a contract because i'm full time - so that makes it different.... i'm not saying that my pay is bad - it could be much worse... but i could be working full time at say a bar or something and be on nearly $20...
Why do you work at pizza hut? That's bad.... are you thinking of staying in hospitality?

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
I used to work at Burger King, which paid 4.80 bucks and hour not including casual loading and all that other junk. Then one day they got swallowed up and assimilated by Hungry Jacks. I still didn't reach the 17 year old cap, so they paid me about $8.20 per hour. I think it goes up a dollar something per year after 17.
Its pay:work ratio is horrible. Probably the only good thing about working at a not-very-busy fastfood store in the middle of a highway is that you can scab all the food and drinks you want. I've had about 20 bucks worth of free food before.

But it's not worth it in my opinion

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
LaZy_KoReAn said:
Why do you work at pizza hut? That's bad.... are you thinking of staying in hospitality?
well considering the training i've got in 1 year it's not that bad. i'm now nearly fully qualified as a restaurant general manager (driver to store manager in 10 months isn't bad), i have experience in many things that are important in a business from analysing costs, to creating forecasts, to ways of training and working with different people. over the year i've been to probably nearly 10 different training courses, plus doing modules (written work) which have taught me heaps
plus i've started doing a Certificate IV in Business (Frontline Management) which work is paying for, and having that certificate is good for nearly any job that you want to get
i'm not planning of staying in hospitality - but i did it to have a year off from study, and while i have had some pretty rough times this year i have made awesome friends, learnt alot about life and myself, and matured a lot. and probably the best thing is that i'm so ready to go to uni and i'm just looking forward to learning new things again (man that sounds geeky... but yeah) and i think having the year off will eventually mean i do better at uni coz i'm more prepared

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
I'm 18, and 2 years ago started working for KFC, who were opening a store in our town. I had to drive 30mins to the closest KFC, train for three hours, and get paid $5 an hour for this, with no money or anything for petrol... It was well fucked, and upon graduating from training and the local store opening, i moved to like $6 an hour. I was one of the oldest casuals who worked there and hence got shit all work. They didn't pay any penalty rates (ie no after 8pm saturday's, and not much better on sunday's etc.) After a year of no work and crap pay, i left after getting a job at coles. The difference in attitude between the two companies is amazing. For starters, Coles paid full, above-award wages from the minute of hiring - ie 8 Hours of watching video's at like $10 an hour. They then offered me a permanent part time position after 3 months of working there, which i have maintained throughout year 12 (12 hours a week). The pay just seems to continually rise (getting like over $12 an hour casual which is not bad). And all this, while KFC gave you shit all. We turned up for a stocktake the other week, and the boss bought like 20 pizza's for everyone. At KFC this would have never happened. I know Coles Myer is a bloody rich company, but the way they treat their staff isn't too shabby...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Argonaut said:
A lot of places offer only the bargain-basement wage to newcomers. Take my place of work, Action Supermarkets, for example. I went into induction two years ago with five others and we were all paid about $7.00/h, which went up to $7.50 after three months of induction. To begin with, I thought it was cheap of them, but I stayed because I wanted to get money.

Now, what's my point? Well, after about 6-12 months, I was the only person left from the group I was inducted with and my pay went through the roof to $10.00/h. The same thing happened to my brother - he went through with three or four others and he's the only one left of that group. A lot of places employ numbers in their droves and pay them minimally because they're only expecting to keep one or two of the new trainees. If you get through that first phase and show you're willing to stay, you're laughing.

Mind you, I still have no idea why our department is over-staffed with people who have survived induction and all the others are grossly under-staffed and don't take anyone else on.

I was getting $10/hr at Hoyts as a casual 15 year old. You don't *have* to start low to get a $10/hr payrate. : ) Another option is working for companies like Eurest (selling food at events) but the work isn't that regular and it can be really shitty if you get put on a yobbo stand.

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
L45er said:
I'm 18, and 2 years ago started working for KFC, who were opening a store in our town. I had to drive 30mins to the closest KFC, train for three hours, and get paid $5 an hour for this, with no money or anything for petrol... It was well fucked, and upon graduating from training and the local store opening, i moved to like $6 an hour. I was one of the oldest casuals who worked there and hence got shit all work. They didn't pay any penalty rates (ie no after 8pm saturday's, and not much better on sunday's etc.) After a year of no work and crap pay, i left after getting a job at coles. The difference in attitude between the two companies is amazing. For starters, Coles paid full, above-award wages from the minute of hiring - ie 8 Hours of watching video's at like $10 an hour. They then offered me a permanent part time position after 3 months of working there, which i have maintained throughout year 12 (12 hours a week). The pay just seems to continually rise (getting like over $12 an hour casual which is not bad). And all this, while KFC gave you shit all. We turned up for a stocktake the other week, and the boss bought like 20 pizza's for everyone. At KFC this would have never happened. I know Coles Myer is a bloody rich company, but the way they treat their staff isn't too shabby...
hmm thats like a totally diff experience to mine

i used to work at kfc ... and the pay was decent... i was 18 at the time and was getting nearly $13/hr

and every once in a while they had staff parties, so free bowling, n free movies etc..

plus every month or two, i cant remember, they gave whoevers bday that fell into that month a birthday cake... a big proper one

oh well... i dunno why im defending kfc... guess im just bored

digmahstigma

HSC
grrrr i worked at kfc when i was 16 and barely got over $6 an hour.. whereabts did u work??

i've been rejected from like 5 different jobs now cos 1. im under 18 and 2. im going to uni next year.

damn discriminatory bastards, should shoot them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)