• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

getting a transfer (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
now transferring between unis is it a good idea?

just say i get into a 70 course at some uni in da bush and after good grades of HDs can i transfer to a city uni with a cut off of 90?

can i transfer to a course totally non relevant to what my first course was?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I'll answer each part

Transferring between unis is a good idea if you hate the uni you ended up in. I transferred out of one after 2 years, the first year was great, the second was crap.

You can try transferring into any uni with any grades, whether you get in or not depends on who you speak to and how you speak to them. There are other factors as well including pre-reqs of the course, your age, maturity, contribution to uni life and so on.

Not unless you want to restart from first year. If your courses are related your chances of success are greater as the new uni can fit you into their second year class which would have had drop outs/attrition in the first year. Otherwise they will look at you and laugh for a bit while they go grab all the new kids with high UAIs who have the marks to get into first year straight out.

I've seen people under the old TER system get into a course with a cut off of 75 with a mark of 55, again it depends on how brave you are in asking questions, getting references and so on.

Although chances are you won't last out the first year if all you are "in da bush" for is to transfer out.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you intend to transfer via UAC however, they'll assess you 50% on UAI and 50% on 1st yr grades, so no matter how high your uni grades are, if your UAI wasn't close to the new cutoff, you wont have much luck

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
oh how amusing innocent naive kiddies are.
i especially liked the bit where s/he said "after good grades of HDs..."

*sigh* i need more HDs

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
i never knew that HD's existed for law?
:roflmao;

yeah, i got gipped for legal research and i did not do a thing wrong... stupid marker comments: "a leading authority, well found.", "excellent" and then s/he bloody gives me an arbitrary mark of 63%... i appealed the decision (because the marker marked me wrong on one aspect, because s/he said i failed to find the newest piece of legislation - when the newest Act had not come into force yet)... so my lazy subject coordinator goes okay...

*scribble-scribble* there you go, 66% :) you get a credit, happy now? >>.<<

mr EaZy

HSC
im only asking coz u see, my sis is in 1st year commerce @ UNSW and says she has a distinction ave of 78%. She's hoping to transfer to commerce sci which is easy coz her UAI was 97...

but she told me she could easily transfer to law which is a 99.... course and i was like :) !
like there is hope for me now isnt there coz like i wanna get a government job :)

anywayz im hoping to do law at UTS (its 97.5-98...Comb) and im wondering if a transfer is possible (to another UNI- coz i dunno what UTS is like. Sounds like it is ......

thnx coz!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
*sigh*
FF: 0-49
P: 50-64
C: 65-74
D: 75-84
HD: 85+

And whilst there are such things as HD's, they are very allusive, and far more difficult to attain than school kiddies seem to perceive.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Lots of government jobs do not need any law knowledge whatsoever. Only a few government jobs require a degree in law. I would suggest you think about what kind of government job you want as you might end up in uni doing something you do not enjoy and never completing like many others.

A transfer will depend on what year you will transfer into and how high the drop out rate is at the target uni.

HDs in some subjects are easier than others, and in law....well you'll see :)

Edit: Fixed zee spelling

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
im only asking coz u see, my sis is in 1st year commerce @ UNSW and says she has a distinction ave of 78%. She's hoping to transfer to commerce sci which is easy coz her UAI was 97...

but she told me she could easily transfer to law which is a 99.... course and i was like :) !
like there is hope for me now isnt there coz like i wanna get a government job :)

anywayz im hoping to do law at UTS (its 97.5-98...Comb) and im wondering if a transfer is possible (to another UNI- coz i dunno what UTS is like. Sounds like it is ......

thnx coz!
btw wat does ur sis wanna do in comm/sci? cz i also plan to transfer into comm/sci. im pretty confident of getting in cz im sure demand to transfer INTO comm/sci is quite low..rite?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
Lots of government jobs do not need any law knowledge whatsoever. Only a few government jobs require a degree in law. I would suggest you think about what kind of government job you want as you might end up in uni doing something you do not enjoy and never completing like many others.

A transfer will depend on what year you will transfer into and how high the drop out rate is at the target uni.

i think HDs seem easier to get in subjects with scaling, like maths -.-

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mr EaZy said:

thnx coz!
Your sister will get the Comm/Sci transfer no doubt

It's more difficult with law however, more and more people are transferring, and I know one girl who does Commerce here who got 98 UAI and high credit average and didnt manage to get a Law transfer, so its getting so much more competitive every year.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
i think HDs seem easier to get in subjects with scaling, like maths -.-
At uni? Unless you are a naturally gifted maths person or someone who hits the books 24/7 you it would be hard pressed to get a HD in uni maths no matter what the bell curve looks like, and just because you got the top mark in the class with a 60% doesn't mean they will give you the HD. I know one of the highest failure rate subjects at all unis I have attended has been Statistics 101.

Scaling at uni is not the same as scaling at HS, it's a whole different ball game.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Meanwhile, they won't even let me transfer internally within USYD without going through UAC. Stupid.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
At uni? Unless you are a naturally gifted maths person or someone who hits the books 24/7 you it would be hard pressed to get a HD in uni maths no matter what the bell curve looks like, and just because you got the top mark in the class with a 60% doesn't mean they will give you the HD. I know one of the highest failure rate subjects at all unis I have attended has been Statistics 101.

Scaling at uni is not the same as scaling at HS, it's a whole different ball game.
but i wont be doing statistics 101. hehehehehehe
anyway, i think unsw scales advanced level subjects. just means doing more work. :D

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
but i wont be doing statistics 101. hehehehehehe
anyway, i think unsw scales advanced level subjects. just means doing more work. :D
That's one of the funny things about universities, they have all these "core" subjects they like you to take that might have nothing at all to do directly with your degree :) But I won't spoil the fun for you, if you get by without having to do any core subjects then good for you. You might just like to double check the subject listing for your chosen degree.

No wait i'm just too nice, here's a direct link to comm/sci at unsw
http://www.unsw.edu.au/virtualHandbook/programs/3529.html
I hope you enjoy your minimum 6 credit points of statistics :D

mr EaZy

HSC
LeftrightOut said:

yeah i know, i at least want a military legal career, or a job with DFAT, or other policy advisors

(some dfat jobs involve guiding foreign visitors - like once a DFAT lady came to my school with a singaporean delegation and wanted to show them around. My principal wanted me along coz im singaporean (malay). And so this lady was speaking to me in malay how she lives in perth and the gov, just sends her wherever a malay speaking visitor needs to be impressed by australia.)

and im like :uhhuh: yeah i could do that! i dont think that needs a law degree, that probs needs international studies, so im hoping for a comb int studies/law degree.

other jobs include those at the UN or WHO. I just wanna use my brain for something BIG u know what i mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)