Getting dragged down (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

Someone I know was ranked (equal) first in economics at her school. Her exam mark was 96, but her assessment mark was only 94. How could this happen? I thought that if you were ranked first, you would be guaranteed to get the highest exam mark, which in this case would have been (at least) 96.

Claudia

HSC
N/A
Coz the class average pulled her internal, assessment mark down. That is, the HSC mark average was less than the internal, so even though she came first, it may be that she bummed all yr and still came first, so it would be unfair to give her her HSC mark, u know what i mean? No one believed me when i was explaining this, but it's exactly what happened to ur friend. Yeh and the opposite happened to me -- thanks all!

helper

HSC
N/A
The real reason is only one person can be pinned at the top exam mark. When two students are submitted as equal first, then they take the pinned mark and the top two marks that is obtained if there was no pinning. The two equal firsts are then given the average between the pinned and unpinned mark.

grimreaper

HSC
if she was equal first in assessment she should have got the average of the two top exam marks as her assessment mark (along with the other person who equal topped it)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The above two posts are correct - the immunity is only guaranteed if you are exclusively ranked first.

Otherwise, where there are n students tied equal first, their moderated assessment marks will be set to the average of the top n examination marks.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
feel bad now i just made someone not get a band 6
oh well nothing i can do bout it now
but thanks everyone for explaining in never knew that

lizbon

HSC
yea that happened to the girl who came first in eco in my school, it still seems abit odd to me

FinalFantasy

HSC
im at a really dumb school... does that mean im screwed?? lol..

FinalFantasy

HSC
what if im at a really dumb school but im not first... but im somewhere in da top 10? does it still matter about the school then?

claudia_p

HSC
FinalFantasy said:
what if im at a really dumb school but im not first... but im somewhere in da top 10? does it still matter about the school then?
depends if the other people in the top 10 are dumb or not

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
1.Given that I don't come first in my Standard English class, if my raw assessment mark is lower than my exam mark, what will happen to my assessment mark?
2. It is likely that when my assessment mark is moderated it will go down because the quality of the people in my class is low, what will happen to my assessment in that case?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)