getting exam papers back (1 Viewer)

benno22

HSC
N/A
is there anyway of getting hsc exams papers back once they have been marked?

DaRanjed

I don't know. But I reckon they SHOULD give us back our papers anyway.

If you're lucky, one of your papers might be used as a Band5/6 sample. ;)

Plebeian

AFAIK, no. The best you can do is getting your raw marks via a Freedom of Information request (discussed in the UAI: Technical Arcana forum); or, as DaRanjed said, seeing your paper used as a sample. But that still won't give you all your marks.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Most likely no but it wont hurt to try using FOI form especially if youa re applying for your raw marks also, perhaps BoS hasnt thrown them away yet so if you want the chance you would have to apply very soon.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
My understanding is that they have to keep them for a set time frame (I keep thinking 7 years but that doesnt sound right?...I think I read that somewhere in their official literature but I could be wrong) but no, you cant get them back as they are now the property of BOS (as per the little slip of paper you signed at the start of your exam)

sorry....

superbird

HSC
snapperhead said:
My understanding is that they have to keep them for a set time frame (I keep thinking 7 years but that doesnt sound right?...I think I read that somewhere in their official literature but I could be wrong).
I think the literature you read was in reference to tax documents. As for collecting the exam papers back...remember when we had to sign that blue piece of paper before we sat every exam? I think one of the requirements we had to sign for was that we weren't able to get the exam papers back.

jason120au

HSC
superbird said:
I think the literature you read was in reference to tax documents. As for collecting the exam papers back...remember when we had to sign that blue piece of paper before we sat every exam? I think one of the requirements we had to sign for was that we weren't able to get the exam papers back.
What it actually said, is that the board of studies reserves the right to use your exam papers for its documents, ie those Standards packages that has Band 5/6 responses etc on them.

If you think about it from the Board of Studies prospective, it is a nightmare getting all the papers back to all the canditates and it would be very expensive and lengthy task to undertake.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Whilst all of the above is fairly accurate, I'd have to agree with acmilan - you should still be able to arrange a time to view your examination scripts (if not obtain actual copies of them) through a FOI application.

Of course, you'd have to do it fairly soon... I really don't think they'd keep the scripts for too long. I think snapperhead is correct when he says that they are required to keep them for a specified amount of time, but seven years seems like too long. I don't think it would be more than six months.

Gemstone

Yeah I reckon we should be able to get them back seeing as we wrote them and stuff. Plus you have to sign that slip even if you don't want to as otherwise they won't mark your exam. Plus if you use the FOI don't you have to pay for the stuff anyway so they get the money to pay the expenses anyway.

If some tries this and actually manages to get their papers back can you tell me because I'd like some of my exams back.

They don't put any markings on your exam papers anyway so it wouldn't give you results or anything. I'd just like a copy of some of my answers as I wrote some of my best essays in the exams.

Oh and the standards packs have all the band cut-offs in them not just 5 and 6 so there is a chance your answers are in there.

~ Gems

jason120au

HSC
Actually that is not the case, as long as the marking superviser signs it they don't care as I forgot to sign one of those thingys on my exams and it still got marked.

Gemstone

Really didn't know that but still you don't have a choice in signing it really. Most exam supervisors won't let you go until they check all the paper work like numbers and all that stuff.

I don't think you'll get them back because they'll find some argument as to my you can't but it's worth a try.

~ Gems

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
if they kept the papers for 7 years imagine how many file cabinets do they need :p

mishka

HSC
N/A
they send to a records management place (like where i work, which has bos documents!!! :D) and archive them. :uhhuh:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
mishka said:
they send to a records management place (like where i work, which has bos documents!!! :D) and archive them. :uhhuh:
Where DO you work?

:)

mishka

HSC
N/A
Lazarus said:
Where DO you work?

:)
lol, it's a big warehouse that holds records for banks, rta (yes i can look up who failed their p's!!), hospitals, heaps of other places.

i'm not sure if we actually hold exam papers and student details and stuff like that, but they're on our system. :D

i also found out we archive uac things too!!

and no, i can't retrieve the documents because:
a) we're not allowed unless bos or uac have written requests for them
b) the files more often than not have different names and are therefore impossible to find. :)

i entered my student number to see if a file existed, but it doesn't. too bad :rolleyes:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
actually it was from the board of studies in one of their newsletters + it was in one of the handouts/faq's that HSC markers get..but the more I think about it, I'm that it is 7 years but thats with regards to all of the official data , stat'setc. The actual papers I think are kept for up to a year.

I dont read taxation stuff as thats the job of my accountant!!

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
After much deliberation i have finally been sent my 2004 physics paper.
I used FOI, but a few phone calls and letters and a few dollars had to be made in the process.

I thought i needed closure on a comparatively low alligned mark, but it turns out BOS dudded me ~25 marks. The highly interpretive nature of the paper means i probably can't do anything. This screwed my first preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)