• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Getting FIRED (1 Viewer)

liz100

HSC
ive been working at boost for about a month and abit. and all of a sudden after the long easter break, my boss hasnt put me on the roster for 2 weeks. does this mean im fired?
my friend told me that they can let me go without even telling me.
I thought that was really rude, and they should have had the courtesy to tell me at least.

has this happened to anyone else??

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I've seen it happen at my work. We were told that legally, the minimum work they can give you is one 3 hr shift every 3 weeks. However, that may be different at your work, esp with the the workplace laws.

For your case however, it doesnt sound as if your fired. There may have been other workers who came forward and expressed an interest in getting more shifts over the holidays, hence why you've gotten less.

The best way to solve this though, is to go in or ring up your boss and ask them if you can have more shifts. I wouldn't recommend ringing up and whinging about the fact that you don't have any, that won't help you at all, you're better off just saying you want more, not that you've noticed you have less.

liz100

HSC
ohh ok. ill see if im rostered the week after next. (which is the third week) if thats wat happening to me.
but if not. oh wells, ill find another job lol.

HSC
liz100 said:
ive been working at boost for about a month and abit. and all of a sudden after the long easter break, my boss hasnt put me on the roster for 2 weeks. does this mean im fired?
my friend told me that they can let me go without even telling me.
I thought that was really rude, and they should have had the courtesy to tell me at least.

has this happened to anyone else??
Omg this has been happening to me too! I work @ Boost, and I haven't worked for like 3 weeks now coz of my limited availability. I'm not sure what to do. If nothing happens for much longer I guess I'll have to leave.

liz100

HSC
reallyyy haha, well then im not the only one. hmm, have u been rostered in the 4th week?
i dunno if i should tell my boss that i cant work on the 3rd week, which is the week after next. cuz i have to go to my sis grad, but if she wasnt gonna roster me anyways, ill look stupid haha.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Ring the boss and ask whether you can take a shift this week. If the boss says "Nah sorry, we don't need you any longer", then say "Well, it would've been convenient if you had notified me of this situation you prick!"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
it happened to me at my last job all the time, one week i'd have 3 shifts, then nothing for a month or so, then one shift, then back to 3, then nothing...its all part of being a casual i guess.

karoooh

HSC
I haven't been rostered for 2 weeks cos not enough money has been coming into the business, so they've cut the number of rostered people down, from 7 to 2/3 per shift.

I'm just going to start looking for something else, though I'm bummed about it, cos I really liked the work. :(

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
At Boost, obviously there is less customer traffic over winter. So we make less money and need less people to work. Last year I didn't work for a month or two during winter, just because I wasn't needed.

So, no, you haven't been fired. They just don't need you to work there at the moment. There are people who get priority to shifts- shift leaders (obviously), and the full-time people (obviously again) so the part-time and casual people get heaps less shifts over winter. That's just how it works.

Find another job, with better pay and shifts, for winter. That's my advice. Tell your boss you'll be available when it gets busier. Maybe go to Gloria Jeans/Starbucks/somewhere that's quieter in summer. That would be perfect.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
I get this all the time at woolies, the new roster goes up and zero shifts... its cos my dept. manager is too lazy to allocate shifts to casuals.

Ask for more shifts, if they are unwilling, say you'll find another job.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
s-AINT said:
Ring the boss and ask whether you can take a shift this week. If the boss says "Nah sorry, we don't need you any longer", then say "Well, it would've been convenient if you had notified me of this situation you prick!"
That's a real smart way to get a bad reference. If they really have stoped giving you shifts cause they want to fire you, then get over it and move on.

HSC
M-turkey said:
I get this all the time at woolies, the new roster goes up and zero shifts... its cos my dept. manager is too lazy to allocate shifts to casuals.
I was surprised to read that. I'm at woolies too, and my store would just die if it wasn't for the casuals, in any given day at least 50% of the staff rostered on are casual. i guess it's different in different areas and store sizes

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
a lot of of places are dodgy like that. a similar thing happened to me when i was still at school and worked at maccas, they suddenly stopped giving me shifts. i went it and asked my manager what was happening and she said that for some reason my name had gone off the computer, which she then put back on and i then continued getting shifts. so maybe it is an error and you should definitley ask

HSC
liz100 said:
reallyyy haha, well then im not the only one. hmm, have u been rostered in the 4th week?
i dunno if i should tell my boss that i cant work on the 3rd week, which is the week after next. cuz i have to go to my sis grad, but if she wasnt gonna roster me anyways, ill look stupid haha.
I don't think so. But i'll just wait and see.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it happens at every retail place. :chainsaw: even if you're a loyal and long-time employee.

i could have a huge vent right now. but i won't.

it's bs when they say they don't have the money because you'll find there are always other people with about 5 shifts a week

sometimes it's punishment, sometimes you're on hold, sometimes you're fired. you don't really know.

Black Hawker

HSC
LOL. I didn't get roster for a shift in 3 months before, but when I asked they put me back on. Ironically I now want to quit working at Maccas.

goosiegoo

HSC
I know someone that used to work at Best & Less, where a similar thing happened. He started getting a really small amount of shifts, and this was because they didn't want to fire him... but they wanted to make him leave himself, by not giving him enough shifts, so he therefor needed different job.

At my job i've asked for not too many shifts because of year 12, but i usually get 1 shift per week. If they've just hired a bunch of new people, sometimes i don't get shifts for awhile but thats because theyre training them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)