• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Getting fit and gaining weight (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
If you goto a respectable gym they should right you up a training program (some do it for free). Follow that step by step, initialling using very light weights (as in bench press just the bar with no weights). This will condition your muscles to working out. After the first 2 or so times you'll be aching but thats good. After 2 weeks start adding the weights until your doing about 80% of your reps on the last set (i.e. say your doing 3 sets for 6-8 reps, the last set should only be about 6reps, that way you know your pushing yourself). You wont have to think about how much to eat because your body will crave more food, just make sure you eat the right foods. Carbohydrates are necessary as they provide energy, but don't eat any after 6pm unless you plan on training then because generally your body doesnt do much after that time so it will store as fat. Have plenty of protein, i recommend having protein shakes before and after training, they dont cost much and are incredibly beneficial. Its important that you do some cardio training also. This can be achieved at the gym on a treadmill or just running around the block. Yaz88 is correct, eating foods that are high in fat and sugars can have an adverse affect on your training regime. Having junkfood once a fortnight isnt bad, but every day or every second day etc. is.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Yaz88 said:
daddyk ur the idiot and i never said eat like a rabbit....mabe u r illiterate and u cnt read ...rabbits dnt eat protein foods such as red meat....for one and yesi am talkin from 1st hand exp as well as i previously said dat in my post ( so u cnt read) and i am also living proof.......SO THE ONLY FUCKING IDIOT IS YOU [insert comma here]FUCK FACE
1. You have no right to call someone illiterate.
2. DaddyK is right.
3. Putting insults in capitals does not add force to them, it just makes you look like a baby who cant handle reading words on the internet.
4. You are living proof of nothing save the school system has failed you.

PS: I put every grammatical or spelling error in your post in bold to back up point number 1.

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
With that protein powder, you are better off getting protein from real food rather than supplements because your body is able to digest and utilise the protein much more efficiently.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
you can still become toned and built wen having a bad diet it just makes it that much harder as u will be working that much harder to burn off the fat but by having a bad diet and if u r doing a serious intense workout it will take you that much longer to recover cause ur body wont hav the sources there from the food

with the protein powder and shakes they r just a shortcut course they help out but if ur eating right anyways you should hav more than enough protein required.

its working aight for me but im sure everyone has there own opinions and training techniques
thats y there r diff programs for everyone and wat u want 2 achieve from ur work outs

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yaz88 said:
BEST WAY TO GAIN MUSCLE MASS IS by watchin wot u eat and ur exercise...u need to cut out the amount of fat and carbz u eat and increase the amount of protein u eat because witout protein ur body can tmake muscle tissue....also work OUT 3-5 TIMES A week and increase on it start slow then build up otherwise ull tire urself out 2 quik..

also remeber eat fresh fruits and vegies, u need the nutrients ...
and eat 5-6 meals a day small meals instead of 3 large meals this will keep u fuller for longer
....u also need 2 weight train and
remember NO PAIN NO GAIN

also start the day of wit a protein based breakie eg eggs and bacon....protein and fat keep u fuller for longer then cornflakes or bread...eat carbs to but only bout 20% and eat it with protein so u dnt increase ur insulin levels quckly which can cause ur body to store the carbz as body fat which u dnt really want coz it will cause you 2 look flabby and cover the muscle where as u want it 2 look cut and defined...

hope i helped...
:)
Two things:

An effective bulking diet revolves around high caloric intake and high protein intake (approx. 1-1.5grams per pound body weight). A reasonable proportion of this needs to come from carbs. Telling people to cut down carbs is bad. Also you need to specify which type of fat to cut out. Saturated fats are not advised for any sort of diets, but there are certain fats, such as omega-3 and 6 which are beneficial overall to hypertrophy.

Carbohydrates aid in the absorption of nutrients such as amino acids into cells. It's insulin spiking properties also buffer against catabolic hormones present post-workout, and when you wake up. Hence why bodybuilders are advised to consume a small amount of sugar right after a workout (to buffer against cortisol and other catabolic agents). In general, cutting out carbs restricts anabolism. You don't want that to happen, obviously.

Secondly, 'NO PAIN, NO GAIN' needs to be elaborated upon. Many would take this as a sign to absolutely fuck yourself up in the gym, train everyday etc. etc. i.e a pretext to keep up training even if it asserts a high chance of injury. Not a smart move, really. The goal is to lift smart, which often means going hardcore.. but there are limitations to the 'NO PAIN, NO GAIN' rule.

DaddyK said:
Lift heaps heavy weights and less reps. you don't really need to watch what u eat if u eat midly healthy, thats all a bs gimmick.
Actually, diet is one of the most important elements of muscular growth. Weight training provides the stimulus to grow. Your diet completes the puzzle. You say that you don't really watch what you eat and still get a fine body. That's fine mate, but I guarantee you that if you did watch it more, you'd get even more results.

Effective muscle growth =
1) Good training
2) Good dieting
3) Adequate rest

Grobus said:
Id warn against things like that weight gain powder shit - its really bad for you.

You are better off just eating a lot of carby stuff (but not at night) and protein ontop of an exercise routine.
Not really, it's just shit loaded up with alot of calories. Some people who have extremely fast basal metabolic rates (perhaps coupled with a low appetite) need those supplements to get over the caloric intake required for effective muscle growth.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
I want to tone up and get build some strength, but i always put on more weight. I dont want to get buff, any tips?

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
ummm, not sure if yas know this... but muscle weighs more than fat. so if you exercise religiously or not, and lose wieght but your muscle mass grows which equals more strength, then your gonna gain weight because of the muscle weight... get it? :rolleyes:

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Worry more about your bodyfat percentage rather than your weight in numbers.

Reallyreally

HSC
I'm all fit from farm work man, but I dunno bout the weight part. See a gym perhaps.

HSC
everyone in here thinks they r a fricken experts

quite funny actually

everyones body is different and reatcs differently to diets, training methods etc so start training and then adapt accordingly

thats my input

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)