Getting into a Bachelor of Science (1 Viewer)

Alaranth

Ok, so I'm doing my HSC now, and I'm thinking about uni, and I'd really love to get into a bachelor of Science/bachelor of performing arts. At the moment, I do 4U eng, 2U maths, chem, bio and drama.
I really love chemistry as a subject (but i like biochem better), but i hate going to class at the moment. My class is full of dickheads and my teacher is an arsehole. I really wanna drop it.
What does anyone reckon my chances of getting into science are without chem? I'm pretty good at it, but i think having the free periods would really pull up my other grades. Would it be better to get good marks with chem, or very good marks without it? Whadaya reckon?

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
you don't have to do any HSC science to get admission into a general science degree, so dropping chem won't be a problem for that.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
But you should consider the fact that if you do drop Chemistry, that there is a possibility you may have to take part in a Chemistry Bridging course before the university session starts.

Unless you're planning to take up a major in the BSci that doesn't require Chemistry.

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah they let anyone into a science degree, even me :D

if you dont want to do a double degree, you should have a look at macuni's arts courses, you can do a lot of sciencey stuff, for instance i couldve done my computing degree as a BA and done 1 or 2 more arts units. if you're look for a career in science you might (might) have trouble with a BA vs a BSc, but for most institutions i dont think it would really matter, for instance im pretty sure the csiro wouldnt give a crap.

Alaranth

jShuter said:
I don't think science is your field.
Why? Because I happen to do drama and 4u english, and not physcs? I can be good at physics and not like it, thus didn't choose it for year 11. Physics and bio were actually on the same line, I had to choose. And I chose bio because of the class, teacher, and my level of interest (exobiology!!!). I'm also one of those apparantly rare people who are good at both creative and scientific areas. Just because I do drama doesn't mean I'm not good at science.

doe said:
if you dont want to do a double degree, you should have a look at macuni's arts courses, you can do a lot of sciencey stuff, for instance i couldve done my computing degree as a BA and done 1 or 2 more arts units. if you're look for a career in science you might (might) have trouble with a BA vs a BSc, but for most institutions i dont think it would really matter, for instance im pretty sure the csiro wouldnt give a crap.
I did think about that, but as you said, some places might not like the look of a BA if its a science-type job. I don't mind the idea of a double, so I figured Id go that way.

jm1234567890 said:
I'm interested, what do you plan to do with your degree?
Actually, I have no idea! I don't know what I want to be, but everyone says to go with what you love. I love science, I love drama, so I figured I try for a double degree. I have some ideas though, to do with telling other people about science, that is, using the drama and stuff to explain science to people. Apparantly the market for people who can do that is growing.

So if I did the bridging course, what would happen? I've heard some people say they're crap, really hard and stupid. But I've got the yr11 and half the yr12 chem. So maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Kyroth said:
Actually, I have no idea! I don't know what I want to be, but everyone says to go with what you love. I love science, I love drama, so I figured I try for a double degree. I have some ideas though, to do with telling other people about science, that is, using the drama and stuff to explain science to people. Apparantly the market for people who can do that is growing.

So if I did the bridging course, what would happen? I've heard some people say they're crap, really hard and stupid. But I've got the yr11 and half the yr12 chem. So maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

you say you love science? that's cool, but be prepared for the workload its nothing like HSC...

First year science courses briefly go through the HSC course in a few weeks, so if your confident, you might not need bridging course.

oh yeah, you'll 100% need 3U maths. so do a bridging course for that.

Last edited:

budj

HSC
And if your super keen for science, try out the bachelor of philosophy offered by anu. here u can do courses from other faculties, like drama courses, and science communications, whilst doing the science subjects you really enjoy, such as biochemistry. Also you get to do advanced study courses where you can research particular fields in your undergraduate course --hence the degree being called PhB. lol

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Kyroth said:
Ok, so I'm doing my HSC now, and I'm thinking about uni, and I'd really love to get into a bachelor of Science/bachelor of performing arts. At the moment, I do 4U eng, 2U maths, chem, bio and drama.
I really love chemistry as a subject (but i like biochem better), but i hate going to class at the moment. My class is full of dickheads and my teacher is an arsehole. I really wanna drop it.
What does anyone reckon my chances of getting into science are without chem? I'm pretty good at it, but i think having the free periods would really pull up my other grades. Would it be better to get good marks with chem, or very good marks without it? Whadaya reckon?
My advice: If you want to do biochemistry at university you will need to do first year chemistry AND biology, as biochem is only offered in second year at most university.

And I suggest NOT to drop HSC biology and chemistry, because it will help you a lot in your science degree, esp. biology.

Figure out what you really want to do, either performing arts or science. They don't really go together even if you do a double degree :D :D

Chang

HSC
Well currently im doing B of Science at UWS. Im in first yr and all i can say is u dont really have to do any science subjects to pass, although background knowledge will increase your chances of passing and getting credits / distinctions. In yr 12 the only science i did was physics and now at uni i have to take do chem/bio/phys/nanotechnology. On the day we enrolled into our courses earlier this yr, the teacher who was checking the subjects we chose advised me to take the bridging course. But because it started the day after my b'day i couldnt be bothered to go and i dont regret it. Sure the work for someone like me is quite hard but all you really have to do is study a little and if you dont understand something you have tutorials where you can get your questions answered, or even ask someone in class. You also have to remember the lecturers dont care if you do your work or not, but if you need help they are more than willing to help you. I believe a course like science is actually just as hard as most other courses, but because the UAI required is low (at my uni neways, compare to other courses) people generally assume its going to be a bludge - well physics is pretty much a bludge for me =P. Some people who did chemistry in yr 12 in my class have problems doing our chem pre-lab work and stuff like that.

Seeing as you are doing 2u maths and bio/chem you shouldnt have a problem doing a science course. In fact its not physics you should be worried about but it would be maths. I remember someone saying something like they teach 4u maths topics in some of the maths classes you would have to take while doing your science degree.

But then again, this is advice from someone who got 0 in my last bio pop quiz (i wrote HCl as the formula for water >_<)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Chang said:
But then again, this is advice from someone who got 0 in my last bio pop quiz (i wrote HCl as the formula for water >_<)
ROFL.... and you said you are doing science? :D

Chang

HSC
i am doing science =D. In my last chemistry lecture i went right to the back of the theatre, used my bag as a pillow and slept like a baby. I also slept throughout the last half of my bio lect which was right before chem, but that was on my chair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)