Getting into course with lower than Cut-off UAI. (1 Viewer)

Berkay_D

HSC
My brothers friend told me that you could get into some courses at UWS with a really low UAI because of the Supply and Demand. Does anyone else know about this? because im starting to get nervous about not getting a high enough UAI to get into my course.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i think it basically depends how many people want 2 do the course - i also heard that they try fill classes so yeah maybe that is true... did u do the stat??

Berkay_D

HSC
yeah thats the thing, i did the RET and i couldnt get a high enough mark in it.

Skeeta

HSC
oh ok fair enuf... are u in YR 12 this year??

if you are dont worry because results still arent in.. u might get the UAI you need... otherwise you could always start with a TAFE or other uni course and transfer over after a year

Berkay_D

HSC
But if that is the case, why is the cut offs pretty high for some courses if some people can get in with much lower UAI's.
Doesnt the cut off for the course mean the UAI of the lowest person that got into it?

Skeeta

HSC
i thort that UAI's were high because you needed a certain level of intelligence, dedication (how you get the high UAI) and also how many people want to do the course..

The course that i want to do at UWS started off at mid 90's, dropped to low 90's and this year it is high 80's

i was told by a lady from UWS that the UAI cut-off keeps dropping because they want more people to do it - there is a lot of demand...

i also think that the cut - offs only really matter in the main round.. there are secondary rounds and stuff too... but if there is one position left and one person has a UAI of 89 and one has one of 88, then the person with 89 is going to get in...

does that sound right??

Berkay_D

HSC
yeah i guess so, we'll see in 1 month anyway
if i cant get in, i will just have to go to Tafe or something

KD

HSC
N/A
Berkay_D said:
But if that is the case, why is the cut offs pretty high for some courses if some people can get in with much lower UAI's.
Doesnt the cut off for the course mean the UAI of the lowest person that got into it?
It used to but now nearly every uni cheats (not UNSW so far but just wait a year or two). The UAI is the mark of the lowest person that got in through the UAC system. Universities can have direct entry and their marks are not reported through UAC. They do this to get more students in and still have a high UAI so that it is more attractive to students in future years. Never believe the published UAI or choose a course based on it. Do research and find out which course you really want to do and where the best place to do it is. If you don't get the UAI required UWS and UWoll definitely have direct entry (check with the different Universities directly).

andyk

HSC
N/A
I think I might just mention SWIC in case anyone else knows more about it or anyone wants to find out more. The Sydney West International College is a division of UWS that provides a starting point for particularly international students to study an undergraduate course. Australian students are also eligible.

There isn't much information I can gather. The website is sparse: http://www.swic.uws.edu.au
But, other than English speaking programs, SWIC seems to provide Foundation programs which allow entry to first year undergraduate courses. And diploma in business or IT, which allow entry into the relevant second undergraduate course. These are acceptable entry requirements by UWS; other unis will also but may take additional criteria.

I'm probably writing this in the wrong thread topic, but there was mention of RET which made me think of the 'other' UWS study path. There's nothing further I can add that won't be pulled from that website. I guess anyone interested can phone their offices, etc.

-andy

Shen86d

HSC
yeh what is direct entry? if it is fee paying, then dont u need to be at least close to the actual uai? or do u mean they cheat as in they'd let people in thru fee paying?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Shen86d said:
yeh what is direct entry? if it is fee paying, then dont u need to be at least close to the actual uai? or do u mean they cheat as in they'd let people in thru fee paying?
Direct entry is like applying as a mature age student, transferring from another uni (at most unis), people who have done some form of uni prep program at the uni and so on. Basically it is direct entry if you do not have a UAI or if you do not go through UAC to apply but the University directly. It can still be a HECS place it just isn't a UAC submitted application. That way the uni can accept people with different circumstances and under different criteria and still keep up the facade for those who never question that a set UAI number is the only way to get in.

And before you get too excited, as a school leaver you will most likely just be directed to apply through UAC.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
andyk said:
I think I might just mention SWIC in case anyone else knows more about it or anyone wants to find out more. The Sydney West International College is a division of UWS that provides a starting point for particularly international students to study an undergraduate course. Australian students are also eligible.

There isn't much information I can gather. The website is sparse: http://www.swic.uws.edu.au
But, other than English speaking programs, SWIC seems to provide Foundation programs which allow entry to first year undergraduate courses. And diploma in business or IT, which allow entry into the relevant second undergraduate course. These are acceptable entry requirements by UWS; other unis will also but may take additional criteria.

I'm probably writing this in the wrong thread topic, but there was mention of RET which made me think of the 'other' UWS study path. There's nothing further I can add that won't be pulled from that website. I guess anyone interested can phone their offices, etc.

-andy
SWIC is a great alternate pathway into UWS, i would reccomend it.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
pk with this......say if i got 83 and the course i wanted to do is 86 is there a chance that i could get it..
or if so another example..
if i got 72.7 and i wanted to a course which is 75.00 is there a chance that i can get it :uhhuh: :graduate: :confused: :uhhuh: :haha: :confused: :spam:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
who has done swic, cause i just applied to study there as an alternative entry to uws. anyone knows someone whos done it? though im not sure ill get in cause i got a band 3 for maths and needed band 4, but they told me theyll look at it cause its borderline band 3/4. its the fast track foundation study program. im hopin that i do get direct entry to the uni, id be really pissed if i found out there was somethin else i needed to do.

Berkay_D

HSC
mate anything can happen, you might be still able to get into that course even though u dont meet the cut offs. Those cut offs are just a guideline. If the demand is less than the supply of the course, you will have a chance of getting in.

andyk

HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
who has done swic, cause i just applied to study there as an alternative entry to uws. anyone knows someone whos done it? though im not sure ill get in cause i got a band 3 for maths and needed band 4, but they told me theyll look at it cause its borderline band 3/4. its the fast track foundation study program. im hopin that i do get direct entry to the uni, id be really pissed if i found out there was somethin else i needed to do.
I haven't studied at SWIC, but with any course, you'd also need to fulfil all the other requirements for entry. e.g. if the course asks for an audition or a portfolio.

Best always to check with the relevent course coordinator about entry. The UWS website will have staff contact details in their course list.

-andy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)