Getting into Medicine (Urgent!!!!!) (1 Viewer)

sydmed2010

HSC
I am in yr 12 right now and I really want to get into medicine. I would like some recommendation from people who got into medicine on what results I should get in HSC and UMAT, how many hours studied and how to get band 6 in Standard English. It would be also great if you can recommend me good tuition places. Thank you for your help.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
99.95 is probably your only slap-bang guaran-damned-teed way of getting in. I believe you get an offer from Sydney Uni to study with them.

Other than that, you'll need very high UMAT scores (not sure what as I've given up on that, and am pinning my hopes for Medicine in a 99.95 or a Postgraduate course), along with an ATAR to match.

Standard English? Well... I believe it scales the same as Advanced, so just know your techniques, know your texts, be able to quote on it - use sophisticated language and synonyms.

future-doctor

HSC
Standard english scales the same as advance? Really? If so that is just ridiculous, wouldn't everyone just do standard instead and absolutely ace it?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I'm quite sure advanced and even ESL english scale better than standard.

future-doctor

HSC
Yeh i always thought that advance would be scaled much more than standard. Why would you go through the torment of studying a Shakespearian play, when instead you could be reading picture books (no exaggeration there at all :p) haha

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Advanced vs Standard are scaled the same but align differently. You need a much lower mark in Advanced to get 90 as compared to Standard. It's something like 77/105 for Advanced and 100/105 for Standard. Once you get that 90, it scales the same, just it's that much harder in Std.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure but I think mid 80s UMAT and ATAR >95 (93 for GWS) to get into UWS.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
Standard english scales the same as advance? Really? If so that is just ridiculous, wouldn't everyone just do standard instead and absolutely ace it?

apparently its harder to get a band 5/6 in standard then advance though, not many people get band 6 in standard as opposed to those in advanced.

Misyndo

HSC
I'm quite sure advanced and even ESL english scale better than standard.
Yeh i always thought that advance would be scaled much more than standard. Why would you go through the torment of studying a Shakespearian play, when instead you could be reading picture books (no exaggeration there at all :p) haha
Std Eng scales the same as Adv Eng. Not sure about ESL Eng.

Eightyseven87

HSC
^

Yes you can. Study-freak on this site did ESL English and got a 99.95 and got into USyd Medicine.

NewiJapper

HSC
Ok let me settle this because its getting off-track. Adv eng scales the same as Std eng, BUT the difference is that std eng is just a much harder marked course to get a band 6 in. Plus the cohort is generally not as strong as the adv cohort so a difference in the range of marks is expected.

BACK to your question....it depends which uni you plan to go to???

For e.g Uni of newcastle requires around 94.7 while Uni of sydney requires around 99.5-6 and those are both without your UMAT results. I'm not entirely sure with UMAT but you want to do reasonably well because your combined ATAR and UMAT determines whether you get an interview or not and thats an entirely different story :p

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok let me settle this because its getting off-track. Adv eng scales the same as Std eng, BUT the difference is that std eng is just a much harder marked course to get a band 6 in. Plus the cohort is generally not as strong as the adv cohort so a difference in the range of marks is expected.

BACK to your question....it depends which uni you plan to go to???

For e.g Uni of newcastle requires around 94.7 while Uni of sydney requires around 99.5-6 and those are both without your UMAT results. I'm not entirely sure with UMAT but you want to do reasonably well because your combined ATAR and UMAT determines whether you get an interview or not and thats an entirely different story :p
I think Sydney Uni only accepts 99.95

h3ll h0und

HSC
Not sure but I think mid 80s UMAT and ATAR >95 (93 for GWS) to get into UWS.
wud an 85 umat in combo with 97-98 atar be likely to get accepted? if so...getting into uws seems much easier than into unsw or usyd.

sydmed2010

HSC
Sorry for not telling which uni i am interested in earlier... i am interested in uni of western syd. Have there been cases where a person got into med although he/she did in UMAT got briliant ATAR/UAI? Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
UWS focuses more on UMAT than ATAR. UNSW, is a combination of both. USyd is 99.95 ATAR only, although, xXmuffin0manXx says that you can get in with 99.5 for Music/Med (I've never heard of this, but I'd take his word for it, he seems to know what he's talking about).

My ATAR estimate was 99.8, my UMAT was 56 (80th percentile), I got a first round interview at UNSW, but not UWS. From what I heard, UWS only considers your UMAT once you're over the 95 ATAR threshold (or 93 threshold if you're a GWS applicant).

By the way, I gotta say, I laughed at your thread topic. I mean....:"Getting into Medicine (Urgent!!!!!!!)"

madsam

God among men
HSC
As a heads up, one of my friends got 99 in UMAT and 97.6-ish and didn't get accepted into medicine =\ At USYD that is, he got an interview but still didn't quite make it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)