getting into medicine (1 Viewer)

sharmajayanti

HSC
N/A
hello
umm my first post in BOS so XD a bit nervous
I am in yr 11 atm and
umm i was wondering about a few things regarding medicine....

Are people who dont choose biology in yr 11 and 12 disadvantaged against those who are?As in when trying to do the Umat and also studying the medicine course.

Does anyone here know like the ranking of all the universities which offer medicine in terms of difficulty of getting in.

How does someone maximise their UMAT score?(practise.... :S ?)

What kind of people are universities looking for?
I heard a lot about being an "all-rounder" and all that but i dont really have a clear picture.

umm could someone please reply?..[so i can make up my mind on whether to give up all my hopes or keep trying!]
thank you!
:)

Hurri

HSC
>Are people who dont choose biology in yr 11 and 12 disadvantaged against >those who are?As in when trying to do the Umat and also studying the medicine >course.

We're not disadvantaged in the umat. And doing bio is grade 11/12 might help you a bit first semester but after that, it's a level playing field

>Does anyone here know like the ranking of all the universities which offer >medicine in terms of difficulty of getting in.
We all have our opinions, theres no definitive ranking system for med schools. Because alot of the unis use interviews and people's performance in these interviews vary from uni to uni so it's very hard. Have a read around.

>How does someone maximise their UMAT score?(practise.... :S ?)
Natural skillz, and yea a bit of practice

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Hurri said:
>Does anyone here know like the ranking of all the universities which offer >medicine in terms of difficulty of getting in.
We all have our opinions, theres no definitive ranking system for med schools. Because alot of the unis use interviews and people's performance in these interviews vary from uni to uni so it's very hard. Have a read around.
based on wat school u get into.. if u dun get monash then .. well monash is ure mountain :p..

depends on how u perform in interviews too... otherwise its a very small difference

hurri: CCH's was Adelaide.. he was burnt.. lolz..

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
based on wat school u get into.. if u dun get monash then .. well monash is ure mountain :p..

depends on how u perform in interviews too... otherwise its a very small difference

hurri: CCH's was Adelaide.. he was burnt.. lolz..
But Adelaide only looks at interview..rite?..so his exceptional umat & UAI didn't have anything to do with him not getting an offer.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
they are weight the UAI and UMAT more and more with the new dean..

officially its still the interview.. but u see it in the subtle differences in the 1st yrs..=(

ummm my point was that... a school is hard depending on what combination of entry criterias ure able to perform well in... some ppl cant do interviews.. others cant do freaky UMATs

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah unis can give u bonus marks for
... harder subjects and rural residents and indigenous background..

ALeahK

HSC
Medicine Help!!

hi.
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!
90-91>>that's fairly shockingly low! a guy got in with 89????
Incredibly heartening though :)

Has anyone seen the U.Syd degrees B.Arts/MBBS and B.Sci/MBBS ----- minimum UAI 99.95? fark me i said.

I'm kickin wing with 'rurality', but I'm pretty sure I've had a shocker of a year and am going to be less than euphoric with my uai...BUT I'm hoping.

UMAT anyone? section2 i dominated but can't hazard a guess about the other sections. BAHHHH it was HORRIBLE.

ALSO, how are people feeling about their UNSW B.Med apps? Did mine at midnight the night before and ran down to the PO at 3.50pm on the 28th....pretty hectic.

hit me back, help me out, i need some guidance re: B.Med ... I'm going to get there somehow, no matter what.

THANKS.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
HSC knowledge is generally irrelevant for any uni course as they will generally cover anything that you learn over the whole of the HSC in about 2 lectures (2 hours). Therefore, do whatever u want to do in the HSC and as long u aint a retard, there's practically nothing you can't do in uni without having done the relevant HSC subjects.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
I'd be careful of the above advice (while it is true) some interstate universities have formal prerequisites. EG to do medicine or dentistry in Victoria you NEED to have done chemistry, there is no way around this.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UNSW technically u need to do a minimum of NSW general english...
in SA that's ESL

that said...HSC bio would have been handy at times... i had no idea about histology for lik 8 months..

the leader

HSC
hey i just wanna know what is considered 'rural' - i live in wollongong and my mate rekons that sydney uni considers that as 'rural', so i can get into medicine with a 96 or sumthin. any help??

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Don't quote me on this, but I doubt USyd will drop the 99.95 cut off for combined medicine.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I'm sure there's enough competitive applicants for the 10 available places in the program. Without lowering the 99.95 boundary.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
With USyd combined med it isn't about supply and demand. If less than 10 people satisfy what they're looking for, then there will only be that many people, not the same number as spots available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)