Getting into selective high school 2021 year 11 entry (1 Viewer)

helloxdxd

HSC
Hi everyone,
I am trying out for selective this year (year ten) and I really want get into Normanhurst Boys or Gosford High or Sydney Boys for 2021 (Year 11).

Can anyone aid me out by telling me what it will be in the exams? Is it four components are mathematical reasoning, read comprehension, abstract reasoning and written expression are on the HAST exam? How can i actually prepare for it? Is there any free HAST sample exam papers coz i have to buy them if i want to practice.

Including the extracurriculars, I had been to a zone many times with cross country, swimming and athletic, made to national for athletic in 100m and made to the region for swimming. I played in NPL which is the semi-professional league and attended AIS which stands for Australian Institue Sport. Additionally, I won two medals with my school team who came first in the Kuring-Gai area. I did the bronze of Duke of Edinburgh and volunteering for Legacy and others. I was also SRC in my school as well. Are those are making my application look strong?

It would be appreciated and help me a lot for good preparation for exam.

Thanks
i did the test like 2 yrs ago so idk if this will apply to u. Honestly, from my pov u cant really prepare for it. this is from my memory but maths questions were testing more on logic and the style of the questions arent the school routine questions. science is more math base and it’s basically logic as well. English was hard at the time for me at least. Abstract reasoning its pure logic, like identifying patterns or ordering shapes based on patterns (if that even makes sense), basically like yr 6 selective ga. writing was based off a stimulus and u had to write a whole essay in 20-25 mins i cannot Remeber exactly, so u need to write as u think. So i would say, have a clear mind before u go in to do the test. Hope this helps -.-

Last edited:

helloxdxd

HSC
Is there any private school offer sports scholarship? I know Shore do not offer sports scholarship. Kings or Knox scholarship was finished already. I can try out for Sydney Grammar but is it worth it go to private school with an expensive fee? Of course, i do want to go to Sydney Boys but is their chances they can accept me with good at the sport with alright report with some A and most B.
I am pretty sure trinity grammar offer scholarships for entry into yr 11. u should cross check with the website tho idk if my info is completely correct -.-

keno

HSC
might be a lil late but basically all u need to do to get into sbhs
be good at sport
do charities
music
and be like top 40-50 academically, get hds and d's for icas
and other competitions
understand that some other parts can weigh out the other parts
personally in year 9 my basketball was my selling point and my academics ranks were alright as i attended a public school its funny cuz i dont even do basketball anymore:lol:

Last edited:

Kurrison

HSC
i did the test like 2 yrs ago so idk if this will apply to u. Honestly, from my pov u cant really prepare for it. this is from my memory but maths questions were testing more on logic and the style of the questions arent the school routine questions. science is more math base and it’s basically logic as well. English was hard at the time for me at least. Abstract reasoning its pure logic, like identifying patterns or ordering shapes based on patterns (if that even makes sense), basically like yr 6 selective ga. writing was based off a stimulus and u had to write a whole essay in 20-25 mins i cannot Remeber exactly, so u need to write as u think. So i would say, have a clear mind before u go in to do the test. Hope this helps -.-
thank you so much

Kurrison

HSC
might be a lil late but basically all u need to do to get into sbhs
be good at sport
do charities
music
and be like top 40-50 academically, get hds and d's for isac and other competitions
understand that some other parts can weigh out the other parts
personally in year 9 my basketball was my selling point and my academics ranks were alright as i attended a public school its funny cuz i dont even do basketball anymore:lol:
it is not late, ur on right time.
Very good at sports
I do charities such as Legacy
I do not do music
I was in A around 4.3% people get in A for English.
I see..... that helped me motivated more because science is the only thing that I am really bad at it.

Tribunal

HSC
Same I'm so confused about how to prepare for the exam, or what concepts to revise because it would be futile to go over stuff that's not even going to come
I'm in year 8 right now, and I did the HAST test last year and you can barely find any resources, like there are no resources on the internet besides one Acer practice test

Minari243

HSC
I'm in year 8 right now, and I did the HAST test last year and you can barely find any resources, like there are no resources on the internet besides one Acer practice test
you’re right that there isnt much practice material online except the acer test. For maths the questions on there are similar to amc styled questions so you could try to find thise past papers. Working on problem solving questions would help alot for maths too. For abstract reasoning theres plenty of random tests online. For writing you’d just have to thinking of a question yourself and practice that in timed conditions. Not really sure about comprehension honestly

Kurrison

HSC
Have not been Bored of Studies for while. Anyway good luck to me for doing HAST exam on this Sunday for Normanhurst Boys. :(

Dubuu

HSC
Just wondering on the day, can we bring back packs or is it just the good ol plastic zip lock bags

Kurrison

HSC
Just wondering on the day, can we bring back packs or is it just the good ol plastic zip lock bags
up to you of course it can be backpack or anything.. Are you doing for Girraween or other schools for HAST tomorrow

Kurrison

HSC
Is anyone trying out for Penrith (for year 11)?
my friend is also trying out for Penrith, but pretty sure Girra and Penrith will share the same result. If you trying out for Penrith, good luck

MAAB1002

HSC
I'm doing the test for Sydney Tech, I already go to a partially selective school but the school is ranked low. Any tips for the test for Sydney Tech. thanks

Kurrison

HSC
I'm doing the test for Sydney Tech, I already go to a partially selective school but the school is ranked low. Any tips for the test for Sydney Tech. thanks
when is your test coming?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)