• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Getting into the Ebay business. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
My friend was discussing to me about how he would make over $1000 a week selling things on ebay (computer parts), he would get things cheap, start at few dollars below the retail price and the bidding would go higher than retail prices of the things he would sell and would eventually make money out of selling things higher than what it is.

I think I should do that too, except go with clothing, find some cheap manufacturer in China and buy boxes of clothing from there, import them here, sell it here over on ebay for extra $$$. Would that work?

Anyone could give me tips/suggestions about the Ebay scene. I'm using a buyer and know nothing about selling.

HSC
I don't think cheap clothing would work. Ebay is probably already inundated with that from people with a similar mindset.

If you want to make money you need to do research and look at how much things have sold for before, whether there is demand etc. Basic stuff for any business. I have read one story of a guy who spent months trying to find and research the perfect item to sell online, and after he found it he started making thousands per week. The item? Cufflinks.

Also remember you need to include listing fees, Paypal fees etc so if you're on a tight margin you might end up not making anything (the cufflinks guy set up his own store on his own site after using Ebay for a few months to avoid this).

jordankuai22

HSC
chicky_pie said:
My friend was discussing to me about how he would make over $1000 a week selling things on ebay (computer parts), he would get things cheap, start at few dollars below the retail price and the bidding would go higher than retail prices of the things he would sell and would eventually make money out of selling things higher than what it is.

I think I should do that too, except go with clothing, find some cheap manufacturer in China and buy boxes of clothing from there, import them here, sell it here over on ebay for extra $$$. Would that work?

Anyone could give me tips/suggestions about the Ebay scene. I'm using a buyer and know nothing about selling.
good luck, but this is going to fail.

bawd

HSC
chicky_pie said:

iPods are the most searched for item on eBay, so try finding an iPod wholesaler. (who would expect you to have an ABN, and will not sell you discounted iPods unless you buy several hundred units)

:rolleyes: Not a good idea, IMO. Unless you have the money to invest.

xsjado

HSC
And how are you going to differentiate yourself from the other six million sellers that sell the same product as you?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
My brother sells phone accessories on ebay and made about $30-40k last financial year while going to uni and having a part time job (plus he is only 19). But it is hard, especially now due to increased competition (when he started about 2 years ago he had a profit margin of about $8 per item he sold, and now only about $3-4). Plus ebay is implementing changes (they are trying to make it so you can only pay by paypal), which will also probably decrease sales as well as decresing profits as you have to pay a paypal fee for every item you sell.

Like xsjado said, you really have to differentiate yourself from the millions of sellers, and come up with innovative ideas. Im not 100% sure if clothing is the best idea. My brother has been to China/Hong Kong twice this year already to find new products and suppliers.

Also when you are starting out and dont have much money, you will have trouble finding suppliers who will supply such small quantities.

That said, if you do start selling on ebay, good luck.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
there's a market for musical instruments, but it requires a big investment.

born2b

HSC
chicky_pie said:

i have tried this business.... a very hard business too

investment amounts needed about $1000 (at least)

dont try online buying from china either.. they are all scams from mobiles to ipods to shoes to clothes. all bullsh*t they will either take your money and not send anything or they will send you something of very low quality and of a lower quantity than you asked for.

got scammed in the mobile and shoes business

do you have the money to make a trip to china?

note you will need at least 1G to start a profitable/worthwhile business on ebay

and you will have to be very good at merchandising. and your item must be very very special for you to make anywhere near a few hundred a week

now that china and HK are selling direct on ebay you will have alot of competition . it will be more than likely to fail. as mine did after short success

cheers and good luck112

-Anfernee-

HSC
xsjado said:
And how are you going to differentiate yourself from the other six million sellers that sell the same product as you?

She's not.

MichaelNguyen

Banned
HSC
born2b said:

dont try online buying from china either.. they are all scams from mobiles to ipods to shoes to clothes. all bullsh*t they will either take your money and not send anything or they will send you something of very low quality and of a lower quantity than you asked for.

note you will need at least 1G to start a profitable/worthwhile business on ebay

and you will have to be very good at merchandising. and your item must be very very special for you to make anywhere near a few hundred a week

now that china and HK are selling direct on ebay you will have alot of competition . it will be more than likely to fail. as mine did after short success

cheers and good luck112
i absoulutely agree.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
born2b said:

cheers and good luck112
shit, lol.

what did you sell on ebay before?

born2b

HSC
lol ive had a big history with ebay

it started with mobile phones then bape jackets- they sold for 150$ each before the whole cheap china movement now only junkies wear them coz their $10 each

now im waiting for that special somehing ... that will move the market..
if you have done business studies it will help a fair bit,, and being naturally business minded and like OCD to have a business you will make it big lol :thumbsup:

cheers lol

do something ur good at if you can lol

cuppy

HSC
N/A
It would be very hard to make a living off ebay. It would be good for some extra cash but when you take away all of the listing and final value fees, as well as the paypal fees you are not left with much profit considering the hard work you must do (taking a good photo, writing a detailed description, packaging the item and travelling to the post office etc). It can be very time consuming!!

Business is also very slow at the moment because of petrol prices and the rising cost of living. Clothes are also one of the most abundant items listed on ebay so there would be a lot of competition (especially since many items start at 99 cents and still not all of them end up selling). The items that do sell are designer brands so if you can find a wholesaler then that would be a good opportunity.

Still, selling online is A LOT OF FUN so I think you should give it a go!

I sell online as a hobby and I love it :)

I use ebay and also an Aussie owned auction site www.oztion.com.au I would recommend everyone to try it. I prefer Oztion over ebay because there are no listing fees so it is absolutely free to list whatever you like. The relisting fee is also a tiny 2 cents and that is if you item does not sell after 60 days. The site is also steadily growing as more people are leaving ebay after their outrageous changes.

At the moment you can also sign up for a FREE oztion merchandise pack which they send to your house as they are trying to promote the site.

I started with things around the house like old clothes, toys, collectables and I was surprised what some people would buy. People even bought normal coins like those commemorative 50 cent coins or the Donald Bradman 20 cent coin when I sold them for about $2.

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
Some idiots have already done that and failed. Don't.
If you can sell a piece Nutri-Grain that looks like E.T. for $20k+ on eBay, I don't see why you can't sell yourself.

But yes, people have done that already, in addition to selling their virginity in a bottle, pubic hairs and Britney Spear's chewing gum. :cold:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)