Getting my foot in the door (1 Viewer)

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
Which is a better plan?
1. Lab assistant while at uni and be chemist/pharmacist when i graduate then a senior position?
Or
2. Lab assistant after uni and then move up
Also, what wam score is needed to do lab assistant vs chemist straight after uni? If i went for option 2, would employers look at wam or at experience or both?

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
Be a lab assistant while at uni. Employers place more emphasis on relevant work experience than on WAM when they are hiring graduates.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Which is a better plan?
1. Lab assistant while at uni and be chemist/pharmacist when i graduate then a senior position?
Or
2. Lab assistant after uni and then move up
Also, what wam score is needed to do lab assistant vs chemist straight after uni? If i went for option 2, would employers look at wam or at experience or both?
I'm not sure if your aware that a chemist =/= pharmacist.
Both are different qualifications. Chemist = Chemistry (Science) degree/major, Pharmacist = Pharmacy degree.
Ignore those shop signs that say "CHEMIST" when they are in fact a Pharmacy.

So the question lies in what do you want to do.
A Pharmacist in a shop/hospital or be a scientist/researcher/quality control.
Pharmacists can also do research as well.

NOTE: UNSW does not have a pharmacy degree. Again Pharmacology and chemistry majors do NOT qualify you to be a pharmacist.
Answer is both to employment. As with any other degree, marks get you past the cut off. Relevant experience takes you to the finish.
Seniority, get a PHD. otherwise your always a lab rat even afterwards its tough.

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
Be a lab assistant while at uni. Employers place more emphasis on relevant work experience than on WAM when they are hiring graduates.
Thanks :) That's what I was thinking too. At least I have options out there.
I'm not sure if your aware that a chemist =/= pharmacist.
Both are different qualifications. Chemist = Chemistry (Science) degree/major, Pharmacist = Pharmacy degree.
Ignore those shop signs that say "CHEMIST" when they are in fact a Pharmacy.

So the question lies in what do you want to do.
A Pharmacist in a shop/hospital or be a scientist/researcher/quality control.
Pharmacists can also do research as well.

NOTE: UNSW does not have a pharmacy degree. Again Pharmacology and chemistry majors do NOT qualify you to be a pharmacist.
Answer is both to employment. As with any other degree, marks get you past the cut off. Relevant experience takes you to the finish.
Seniority, get a PHD. otherwise your always a lab rat even afterwards its tough.
I am aware of that fact. I'm only a first year tossing out ideas to see what options lie ahead. I've done my research on what qualifications are needed for specific job titles too. The question I posed only relates as to how I would enter the job market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)