Getting Started: Major Work Proposal (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Annotated bibliography = an assessment of each source.

So an example from my Ext. History Bibliography:

Bristowe, Dr. William Syer. Louis and the King of Siam published by Chatto & Windus:
London, 1976.
This work was crucial in determining the main facts behind Anna Leonowens. Due to the
intense popularity of the films, which often illustrate Anna’s original autobiographies,
separating fact from fiction proved to be confusing at times. Dr. Bristowe’s book was
crucial in ascertaining specific and true facts. Extensive reference to this book was made
on the websites I cited in my essay as well as the subsequent biography of Anna
Leonowens by Leslie Smith Dow, which is further proof of the usefulness and reliability
of this source.

Despite most of the book being about Louis Leonowens, the critical chapter entitled
“Anna Unveiled” and the introduction to the book was the huge nugget of information
which was vital to my argument and in providing a clearer picture about Anna
Leonowens.

This is just to prove that you actually used/cited the source and not just nicked them from somewhere.

If you are unsure about your proposal - ASK YOUR TEACHER. I saw this time and time again last year - people always complaining about the teacher "didn't tell them this or that or the other"

You're not 4 years old, get up to the staffroom in your precious lunch hour, knock on the door, get the teacher and ask your questions. It ain't hard. (Sorry if i'm aggro, it just gets really annoying hearing people complain about EE2 teachers when they don't *appear* to be taking any sort of self-initiative.) In a nicer way - don't wait for the teacher to come to you, take responsibility for your learning and go to them.

ask them specific questions about EVERYTHING you want to know. Remember, if you don't, its you that suffers ultimatley.

There is also a copy of James King's (Lazarus) proposal in the English Extension 2 section of resources. I do believe Justin was given this proposal as an example of how to write one - but again, check with your school!!! Please!!!

gh0stlyg4bb1

HSC
See, I actually had the intiative to ask teachers, but (and I'm assuming you haven't read my other posts in this thread), I have 2 EE2 teachers, one who has taught the course before and one who hasn't. The teacher who has taught the course went on holidays to WA for god only knows how long and so we had to rely on our other teacher to answer our questions. Because he's never taught the course before, and because he's only teaching it 'cause none of our other english staff will, he hasn't got a clue what's going on. To add to that, our head english teacher has been on long service leave for 2 months and only returned on the day my proposal was due, leaving my EE2 class with no one to turn to but a teacher who knows nothing about the course or the assessments (and I don't want to be mean, 'cause he's a really good adv. and EE1 teacher, it's just that he doesn't have any idea for EE2.) Plus.... why are the proposals for my school due so much earlier than everyone else's?!?! Waaaa.....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I apologise for being crabby. Some people in here don't listen at all though. No you are right, i haven't read your other posts and I feel sorry for your predicament.

Seeing as it wasn't your fault, you may want to consider an internal appeal for an extension or re-mark. If you explain to the deputy head-teachers or even to the now-returned head of department, they can see that your circumstances were less than favourable. Remember, its your HSC so while you may think you are whinging, you aren't. Every bit counts.

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hi.....help me out here.
My ext 2 teacher basically said that it is impossible for us to get full marks in our proposal and our 1st viva voice because we have not actually fully begun proper research or composition yet, hence we cannot really reflect on it.

Out the 20, the highest mark you can get is 16.
i got 16.
She said that this doesnt affect our overall mark, but ive heard of kids from other skools getting full marks for theirs. THiS ISNT FAIR!!!
IS THIS GOING TO AFFECT MY MARKS OR IS THERE SOME SYSTEM THAT SORTA EVENS IT OUT??!??!?!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah, complain about it, because she's not using standards based referencing. She can't place an arbitary number and say "this is the highest anyone can get at this point". I got full marks for my proposal - she's obviously a fuckwit, because the proposal isn't about *reflection*, it's about outlining what you're going to do. Go see the head teacher, or the deputy, or the principal or whatever.

veridis

droog
HSC
as long as everyone in your class is marked the same way it wont matter. final thing is externaly marked and in class marks moderated compared to that. basicly ranking is more important than marks internaly

dengu

my proposal is due in 3 days! we gotta write 1000-1500 words (how come some of you are allowed to do 800 pfft) and i had no idea how i was gona hit that limit with not that much to talk about. but yea thx for all the tips guys

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Pointy Ears said:
Hi.....help me out here.
My ext 2 teacher basically said that it is impossible for us to get full marks in our proposal and our 1st viva voice because we have not actually fully begun proper research or composition yet, hence we cannot really reflect on it.

Out the 20, the highest mark you can get is 16.
i got 16.
She said that this doesnt affect our overall mark, but ive heard of kids from other skools getting full marks for theirs. THiS ISNT FAIR!!!
IS THIS GOING TO AFFECT MY MARKS OR IS THERE SOME SYSTEM THAT SORTA EVENS IT OUT??!??!?!
Appeal. The standards based referencing system is in place to combat this. She isn't doing you any favours by not using the full range of marks. Yes, you will suffer for it, no it won't be ironed out. So complain.

Besides, what gylcerine said was right. How much you have/haven't done is irrelevant in the scheme of things because proposal is about what you are going to do!

monique66

damn...my proposal is due officially in week 3 term 1...bah...i have to write 1000-1500 word for mine, i dun get why u all have to write less...it says u have to write that much in the syllabus...oh well...

phatic

HSC
I wish we were allowed to write more... 1500 words isn't enough. :D

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
ours is only a 1000. I couldnt help but go a little over the limit. Hopefully they wont mind. Uggh mines soo craptastic. If your a totally nice person, could u read it and give a poor illiterate person like me some suggestions. I'd totally love u for it!!

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
phatic said:
I wish we were allowed to write more... 1500 words isn't enough. :D
I had 500 words to do mine...

Anyone who is stressing,

• Aim to write a concise synopsis or abstract of your proposed major work which will capture the responder's interest straight away, and clarify the target audience, process and purpose of the major work. Keep strictly to the word limit of 300-500 words - penalties apply if the proposal is either too short or too long. Set out the proposal clearly in exposition style, without sub¬headings, eg. in essay format, with logically developed paragraphs summarising the nature of the independent research which will be/has already been undertaken, and the process of composition you envisage in relation to the work.

• Indicate the genre chosen, and any variations ie. whether you plan to write in a hybrid or mixed form, but still largely within your chosen elective eg. short narrative + poetry or other forms of writing. Briefly address why you have chosen this option.

• Clearly identify the area or subject matter you will address, but do not merely tell the story of the narrative, suite of poetry or script etc. you plan to write (this will not capture the responder's interest).

• Use language persuasively so as to interest the responder in a well-planned and clearly envisaged project. You should employ sophisticated, formal language to express the nature of the major work. (Colloquial language will detract from the seriousness of the proposal.)

• Express concisely the form and direction that the major work will take.

• Briefly relate the major work in an integral way to other English courses undertaken for the HSC eg. The Journey in Advanced, OR Postmodernist Ways of Thinking OR Speculative Fiction in Extension 1. Indicate clearly the theoretical aspects of the major work that you hope to address in the independent research. Use appropriate meta-language to express the theoretical component of your research, and its relationship to the development of the major work.

• Clearly express the nature and scope of the independent research which will underpin the composition of the major work, and make possible the completion of the work. Briefly show that the major work is achievable in practical terms and in the time frame envisaged.

• Touch briefly if necessary on any difficulty which is envisaged, either in the independent research component or in the composition of the major work, and how you plan to address it.

• Aim for originality and freshness of approach, rather than cliched themes, stereotyped subject matter, characters and situations. Avoid the 5 As - abortion, angst, abuse, anorexia, and alcoholism. Suicide, drug abuse, teen romance and psychiatric illness are other areas which are frequently addressed, and to be avoided, unless very well-researched. This is your chance to explore exciting and challenging concepts, and unusual juxtapositions of subject matter eg. one student used postmodernist concepts to deconstruct the world of pro wrestling.

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC
ok first comments
the third person threw me a bit. just soudned odd and i think it got you confused with tenses a couple of times. in my class 1st person was used by everyone but your teacher may have instructed against it so i'll eave that
a comparative study of american beuty and desperate housewives will be difficult as you'll have to use alot of maybes, possiblies and conjecture as the different coventions of medium have had a big effect on both. also you'll have to account for the sensationalist nature of soap operas while comparing it to the sombre and reflective purpose of serious/arthouse/whatever you call proper films.
but yeah it seems good. a bit light on medium and your proposed work and a bit heavy on research and explanation of american dream but now bad at all

Jacks

HSC
it's very well written though I do suggest that you write something about how your major work links with yr 11 or 12 english advanced or extension 1. The link doesn't have to be an extremely obvious one, but it has to be there in one form or another...most people tend to get a little creative when thinking up how they were inspired by their english courses...it is important you do mention something though, it's a requirement and may lose you some marks if you don't. Another important thing you have to do is identify your target audience...who would your story appeal to?? Perhaps you would say everyone but try to think of one without being too generic or specifc...would they have to have specific interests, possess different qualities? etc It's a little more difficult to limit your readership doing a short story...although perhaps the fact it isn't a critical response would limit its appeal to academics? these are things you need to think about and discuss in your proposal. You could write a little more about the actual storylines, try and tie them in with your target audience, i.e. explain why these specific storylines would appeal to certain people and not others...it all relates. Anyway I hope my suggestions help you in some way, your intentions are clear, and well expressed, so with those few inclusions it's pretty good, well done!

Last edited:

lil_miz_gigglez

HSC
Hey guys of class '05!
Although I am a Year 11 student I was just wandering if I could get some advice off you experienced lot who have already done your Year 11 English extension major work. As you are all probably are well aware in Year 11 you have to do a Major Work comprising of 3 parts:

1) Critical response or creative piece
2) Reflective Statement
3) Journal

First of all, I have no idea what this assisgnment is all about and secondly every time I approach my English ext teacher to ask if the topic I have choosen is sufficient enough or not he always turns me down.

Can anyone who did this assesment last year give me any ideas on where to start or where to look?

Thanks alot, I appriciate it! :p

*Sarah*

scoby_2000

HSC
Did anyone get a mark?

at my school we were given our mark for the prop. back and i got top :) which was band 6 or something 19/20 or something yey.... they shud just wait my major work :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)