Getting started with your Individual Performance (1 Viewer)

goosiegoo

HSC
Hey all, I'm doing the HSC in 2007.. and it's come to the time where i have to start finding something to do for my IP, but i have no inspiration.. i just don't know what to do.. and it's freaking me out because when i think of drama i'm just not enthusiastic or excited.. just stressed and.. meh!
All i know is that i want to do a pathos type monologue which isn't too ridiculous, but not too serious either.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started? Like, where to look, etc?
I'd appreciate your help. :)

piracer

HSC
hey, im in the same position, starting to look for ideas, infact my first check up on log books is tmrw and just got my sketch book thingy.

i tried an attempt at writing a script, that didnt go well at all, so i need to talk to my teacher sometime this week.

personally i feel alot of the IPs all seem to be serious dark monologues, so im going to try for a comedy. i saw onstage this year, and some stuff was pretty good, otheres were meh.

anyone remember the clown mime dude? that was so frekin good.

anyway, my ideas seem to be food, computer games, politics (global warming, over fishing).

need to find a guide on how to write monologues, personalyl i dont see how i can find a exsisting monolouge already.

goosiegoo

HSC
Yeah.. i don't know if i have time or talent to write my own monologue. :p Yeah, the Mine/Clown was really good.

I don't want a dark monologue.. i want one with some saddness.. but that also makes you laugh. Did you see 'The Prickly Pair' at last OnStage? With the Cacti? I loved it.. and it's inspired me to do a pathos-type of monologue.. I just need to know where ot start.. hmm.

matmatt

HSC
Yeah i'm just starting on mine too.
Still working on what to do but.
I would normally go for something dark but thats too easy for me.
Nearly all our year 11 monologues were dark and hating, time to leave that scene i think.
How far along is everyone?
luv matts

heffo10

HSC
:worried: i hav started mine its crap a guy is tryin ta ban shoes by breakin into the pm s house an telling him why he hates shoes wats a reason why a lil kid wood hate shoes

Bowds

HSC-ified
HSC
I'm sick of people going on about that mime from the 06 onstage!

Yeah okay, he was funny, but he utilised mime skills at the expense of dramatic coherence/vocal ability (note, german does not cut it for me).

Not that I want to sound like a bag of grapefruits (Blackadder) but I just didn't think he was as good as people make out. I much prefered the "suits" guy or "bike" lady.

Love, Oman

allybear

HSC
Yeah, apparently unless your really good at writing and stuff its not the best idea to write your own mono cos although you prob already have a good idea of what you want you character to be like, (actually thats an advatnage of writing your own, you make your character how you want it), the markers may not be able to find links in your monologue to your character and determine how you analysed and establish your character. but then again, one girl at my school hsc 06 did ext 2 english and wrote her own and the markers were heaps impressed, but apparently they tend to get a bit judgemental if you create your own monologue.
another thing you have to be careful is if your take your mono from a movie, you havr to be original with your character and not...whats it called? like 'role-taking' or something, where you copy anothers character or something.
but hey, listen to me, going on like a professional and as if i have the knowledge and experience to give out advice when im just as completely screwed as everyone else is for drama ip. ahh im scaredddd

jamesvpow

HSC
The production line one was ok, you know, the one with all the percussion stuff.. anyway, is it normal to have absolutly no ideas about what sort of performance I'd like to do for my IP at this point? cos im stumped...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)