Getting Sundays off?? (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Greetings,

I recently got a job at Kmart as Christmas casual and im just wondering if i can take a particular day off in a week, let's say Sunday. Does anyone know if I can do that, I don't mind to work 6 days a week but I hope i can get sunday off.. Thanks in advance :)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Not sure how it works at K-Mart but I'm sure you could just say you are unavailable for whatever day you want.

But why Sundays? The time and a half makes me want as many Sunday shifts as possible.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
if its for religious reasons, I think they pretty much have to give it to you (although, you may need evidence from your minister or whoever [lol, I have no idea how religious stuff works]) but other than that, you're pretty much screwed, unless you specify that you can't work sundays, but then they may not particularly like it.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
They should be ok with it; I work at Myer as Xmas casual and they said they can give you days off as long as you let them know before they work out the roster.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
man i cant get a sunday shift cos i work weekdays now.... they employ the 14 yo . but thats probably the story in a lot of places

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
if you have something on they won't mind, if you just want it off for the sake of it they'll be pissed off because it makes rosters hard

Scanorama

HSC
What about for religious reasons? Im afraid if I ask, it will piss them off so much that they won't hire me after the Christmas casual period. (im working as Christmas casual).

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Being Kmart I should think they have a lot of staff!
If you want Sunday off because you have something on, then you can have sunday off because you have something on, you're a casual.
Also, don't worry about the reason, as a casual, they have no right to ask you for a reason, and you don't have to provide one, if you can't work, then you can't work.
Don't worry about not getting a permanent job over that, worry about putting the effort into your work and...hate to say it but....become friends with your manager outside of work. I have with all of them, that's how I got to my new fulltime position that I start soon

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol so you're using people to climb the ranks?? what hope does anyone else have?!

Scanorama

HSC
So seriously as a casual, can I specifically request to have sundays off for religous reasons WITHOUT effecting my future career with them? In the email they sent to me earlier for the interview, they did say weekend availability is a must. Thanks heaps 1

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Provided you have satisfactory documentation (oh God, I've been at uni too long), I think they *have* to give it to you (thats what I've heard, anyway)

Carlito

HSC
You cant work 7 days a week anyway as a casual. You cant work more then 6 in a row and there should be an availablity form that you fill in which you specify the hours/days that you are available to work

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
iambored said:
lol so you're using people to climb the ranks?? what hope does anyone else have?!

Way of the world mate, if you get someone to like you chances are they'll overlook a lot of flaws and overestimate your contributions. We gotta get used to it and learn to play that game too.

Scanorama

HSC
biggles04 said:
Then why did you apply if you're not available Sundays?! :confused:
Mate you have no idea how the recuitment process of Coles Myer works. It took them forever to arrange a store interview for me. My thought was just accept the offer and worry about that later. I don't know if I give up this offer, when will the next one appear again, maybe 1 week, 1 month or even 6 months.

Im hoping I won't be working every Sundays...

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Mate, I have worked for Coles Myer for a while and I DO know how it all works, I have had many, many discussions with various managers, How dare you say

Gough Whitlam said:
Mate you have no idea how the recuitment process of Coles Myer works.
Do not ever put yourself in that position when you have no idea of my position in the situation.

I was trying to give you some advice, maybe you don't want it.

Scanorama

HSC
Calm down mate, I didnt mean to offend you or anything. My point is I need the money desparately and all I could do was just accept the offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)