• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Getting teachers to pre-read assignments? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I have an assignment due in about a week in Economics, I want my teacher to pre-read it (just to give me an idea on what I would need to fix up). Can my teacher do this? I know they can't pre-mark, but can they pre-read?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school, I don't think they can do that because it was considered, somewhat, unfair. However, there's no reason to not ask.

Alkanes

HSC
Ask if you're on the right track but don't go further than that because it gives you the ability to obtain more marks which is of course unfair.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I have an assignment due in about a week in Economics, I want my teacher to pre-read it (just to give me an idea on what I would need to fix up). Can my teacher do this? I know they can't pre-mark, but can they pre-read?
You already have an assignment? dafaq

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, most teachers should be happy enough to look at it and give feedback, and it's really a good idea. Every assessment contributes to your HSC mark, and you want to do as well as you possibly can. If they aren't willing you can get online HSC editing services to have a look at it for you (like me!:D), but it costs money. Besides, your teacher knows the criteria by which it will be marked so if you can get them to look it over and give reasonable feedback, that would be best. However, having said that, a lot of teachers give very vague feedback, so test it out and see how the mark you get reflects the quality of the feedback given. If you still need extra help, I'd find an editor or tutor to get you on track for the year.

Hope this helped

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Depends on whether or not your school allows that to happen. My school, under advice from the BOS, doesn't allow any pre-reading of assessment tasks by any teachers at the school. This followed an appeal by a student, who didn't take advantage of this possibility, which wasn't upheld by the BOS but the recommendation from the BOS was that the school should have a policy of 'no assistance at all to any student in any year for any assessment task, unless specified by the BOS that it is all right e.g. in the major works where teacher advice is expected during the process.' As a result my school won't allow any pre-reading of any assessment task of any student in any year at all - just a blanket ban.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Depends on whether or not your school allows that to happen. My school, under advice from the BOS, doesn't allow any pre-reading of assessment tasks by any teachers at the school. This followed an appeal by a student, who didn't take advantage of this possibility, which wasn't upheld by the BOS but the recommendation from the BOS was that the school should have a policy of 'no assistance at all to any student in any year for any assessment task, unless specified by the BOS that it is all right e.g. in the major works where teacher advice is expected during the process.' As a result my school won't allow any pre-reading of any assessment task of any student in any year at all - just a blanket ban.
That's not a bad idea, makes things fair for everyone :)

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I don't think it makes it fair - many students come to the HSC without the skills to write good essays. They are disadvantaged because they fell through the cracks in the education system, and to refuse to assist them by reading over essays (and it is the teachers job to facilitate ALL students' learning, regardless of ability etc.) is unfair and inequitable. Also, consider the fact that many of the high achieving students have parents or other family members who are able to assist with essays, editing etc. How, then, is it fair to refuse to provide much needed assistance to lower achieving students?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
^ I don't think it makes it fair - many students come to the HSC without the skills to write good essays. They are disadvantaged because they fell through the cracks in the education system, and to refuse to assist them by reading over essays (and it is the teachers job to facilitate ALL students' learning, regardless of ability etc.) is unfair and inequitable. Also, consider the fact that many of the high achieving students have parents or other family members who are able to assist with essays, editing etc. How, then, is it fair to refuse to provide much needed assistance to lower achieving students?
You have a good point, elissajean :) However as others have said, it could mean that some students are able to get extra marks which makes it unfair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)