Getting terrible marks in biology? How to improve? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
I have seen everyone on BOS and my school say that Bio is a science for dummies and how it's really easy and based on rote learning etc. but I just can't seem to get any marks in it. I do really well in Economics, Chemistry, extensions maths and all the harder subjects but when it come to Bio, I feel the more work I put in the lesser mark I get. It's the only subject where I am not in the 90' but in the 70's.

I feel so stupid when I see everyone else who puts minimal effort get really good marks while I struggle to pass.
Any suggestions on how to improve in biology?

Aysce

HSC
I think I had the same problem.

How well do you actually know the content? I've sometimes had trouble with biology since I didn't effectively apply the content despite knowing it well. What I think you should do is do HSC or trial past papers and mark your answers according to the marking scheme. That way, you'd know what to include in your answers to satisfy the marker and appropriately answer the question.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Applying the content is the difficult part.

Becareful when people tell you they "do no work" because a lot of people say that to throw you off while their doing MORE than you

as bad as it sounds, the whole HSC is a competition and I HATE the competitiveness in my cohort...

kwu1

HSC
I would recommend grabbing Biology in Focus and Biology in Context and creating a concise set of notes on each dot point (including practical investigations) in dot point format. This will help to break down the information overload and therefore, the amount of memory work you need to do. Otherwise, if you are having trouble with understanding then I would go for Excel HSC Biology which is good for grasping the basic idea for the topic. Hope this helps!

HSC
N/A
Actually doing past papers forces you to learn the material and apply it. Then you have the bonus of being able to go over your work and see where you went right, and where you went wrong, which should give you an indicator of your strengths and weakness/generally where you need to improve.

The methods you use to rote-learn in other subjects should transfer across to Biology.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I acutually found with bio I liked to spend more time on the conceptual stuff than answering questions-having a thorough sophisticated understanding it what guided me though.

Making my summaries was golden. Reading over them, thinking of different analogies. Making posters to pull out and add diagrams to difficult parts of my summary.

I did far less past papers for bio than my other subs, but it was one of my best HSC subjects bar English. It's different though how you need to approach questions. Knowing what to include in prac questions and the difference between assess, evaluate etc. is pretty key in biology.

chowdhury

HSC
make notes from the dot points, then make it again, and again and 7 - 12 more time (from scratch). You have to spend 100% of your awake time studying. Or at least this is what one of my classmates did to get a state ranking.

Aysce

HSC
make notes from the dot points, then make it again, and again and 7 - 12 more time (from scratch). You have to spend 100% of your awake time studying. Or at least this is what one of my classmates did to get a state ranking.
You're going to have to also learn how to actually apply the content rather than continuously revising the content for "100% of your awake time".

jnney

lemon
HSC
I have seen everyone on BOS and my school say that Bio is a science for dummies and how it's really easy and based on rote learning etc. but I just can't seem to get any marks in it. I do really well in Economics, Chemistry, extensions maths and all the harder subjects but when it come to Bio, I feel the more work I put in the lesser mark I get. It's the only subject where I am not in the 90' but in the 70's.

I feel so stupid when I see everyone else who puts minimal effort get really good marks while I struggle to pass.
Any suggestions on how to improve in biology?
That's really a huge misconception. Don't ever rush when you're learning biology, but give yourself time to process the information especially because some concepts can be quite complex (for example protein synthesis throws a lot of people off).

When you are learning from textbooks and/or other people's notes, often you can be confused about how much you really need to know. If that happens, revisit the dot point to remind yourself what it is really asking for - and if you are unsure, you can always ask your teacher or one of us here. It's also so important to ask somebody if you don't understand something.

What I suggest you to do is - after you have learnt a certain section in a biology topic, for example, "The Blueprint of Life - Section 1", look for all related HSC past paper questions and try to answer them. Then, get a teacher/tutor/somebody here to mark it. This does a couple of things - it might allow you to discover that maybe the reason for you losing too many marks - because of insufficient knowledge; you may not be writing enough; you may not be answering the question directly or at all and just regurgitating the information; not answering the questions in the correct format/not providing examples; allows you to realise what knowledge you should have had have to answer the question.

When I was studying biology I used the textbooks Biology in Focus and Biology in Contexts (3rd Edition) in conjunction with many past students' notes (like the ones you can find on this site). Always make sure that you are using a variety of sources for your learning (some summaries may be missing a lot of information and you wont know that until you compare) and that you are doing lots of questions to supplement your learning. If you find that a textbook for a particular section/dotpoint is just too confusing, start with another that is much more simplified and revisit the first textbook later to build up your knowledge.

TLDR:

In my opinion, the following steps is what will really bump up your marks:

1. having good understanding of concepts directly answering the dot points, backed up with examples
2. application of concepts via completing questions
3. getting answers marked, reviewing feedback.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)